New floorboards painting...help!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

New floorboards painting...help!

Post by Bill Everett » Sat May 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Pictured are the old, blue floorboards as well as the body of the '11 Touring.

Also pictured are the new floorboards.

I don't know what type paint to use, what process (brush, roll, or spray), or the color's part number.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Model T Blue Bailey-1.jpg
Model T Blue Floorboards Bailey.jpg
Model T Floorboards-1.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: New floorboards painting...help!

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Bill, I am curious as to why you would discard original floorboards for new ones? My oldest car is a '13. I would never in a million years substitute a new part for an old one if it was safe and serviceable, and floorboards are not a safety item like a spindle pin. Additionally, I have a survivor '15 which was bought from the original owner in 1960 and stored in an air-conditioned garage until I bought it a few years ago. The last owner replaced the top which frankly was a crime, in my opinion. This car is a near-perfect survivor with great original paint and everything else...except for a nice tight shiny top and that is really too bad.
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Sat May 04, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat May 04, 2019 12:57 pm

To each is own, but I am with Scott unless they were reproduced incorrectly.

All the Best,

Hank

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 pm

If you look close the middle board, the pieces that make up the slots are missing, the fingers. Along with a bad cut under the brake pedal.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat May 04, 2019 1:13 pm

I like to brush urethane on the bare wood. Let it dry, scuff it and brush over it with a slow drying enamel or spray with acrylic enamel or a favorite type you use on steel but not a lacquer base or anything that would lift the urethane. The urethane likes the wood and lets other paints stick to it. This has worked for me for 50 some years.
Others have their favorite methods and will surely post them here.
Rich
When did I do that?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Which is repairable with little effort and still retain the original part.

I am by nature a conservator and caretaker of my cars and my furniture. The next generation is free to chop/channel my cars and Shabby Chic our antique furniture. I just won't do it for them! And if they actually do, I plan to come back to haunt them.
Scott Conger

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm

I suspect a search of the archives would show that the factory 'washed' all floorboards with black something-or-other.

If I'm wrong about that, others will quickly correct me. If I'm right, the blue floorboards would have been a later change, and you could go either way.

If you want to absolutely copy the old ones, take one to a paint store (I prefer Sherwin-Williams), and their computer can read the color and mix you an absolute match in new paint.

Since you're starting with new wood, be sure to use an oil-based primer first. Primer is different from paint, and its purpose is to sink into the wood and form a seal with it, and then present a good surface for adhesion of the final coat. It can be tinted to match. It's a good idea to make it a shade lighter than the finish coat, so you can tell if you miss a place.

Also use an oil-based final coat (or two). The "sheen" is your choice. It comes from flat to glossy, or you can go with what is commonly known as "refrigerator gloss," which is a harder and shinier finish.

You've noticed that I specify oil-based paint. I won't bore you with all the details, but 25 years as a General Contractor taught me that Latex paint is NOT paint - it's akin to your wife's makeup, and cannot protect the wood or provide a surface that can withstand what a floorboard must withstand. Don't let any paint salesman tell you otherwise.

It's a good idea to do something to insulate part of the underside of the floorboards, where they pass quite close to the exhaust pipe. I've seen boards that were quite heavily charred in that area, and only by chance did they not catch fire and destroy the vehicle. As you pass by an A/C service truck parked in front of a house, stop and ask them if they have any scraps of foil-faced insulation lying around, You only need a couple of square feet. You can staple it in place after painting.

On the other hand, why not cover the floorboards with a period-correct floor mat?

fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Post by fbergski » Sat May 04, 2019 2:38 pm

The floorboards in my 11 touring which I believe are original are not painted.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Sat May 04, 2019 3:41 pm

If the other original boards are good, I think that I would only replace the one bad board--actually, knowing me, I'd patch the original board! :D
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat May 04, 2019 3:43 pm

RE;"If you want to absolutely copy the old ones, take one to a paint store (I prefer Sherwin-Williams), and their computer can read the color and mix you an absolute match in new paint"
Not true. The scanner will only match to what is closest in its data bank and give the formula for that.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Mark that is true (I think)

working on our old house over the years was an interesting experience in seat-of-the-pants matching. I'd get the best match they could give and then work an area...look at the color in different light during the day and then take the quart back for "1 part umber, 2 sienna, 1 black", etc. Usually took 2-3 trips to the Home Depot and each time the "kid" would say he didn't know how and the older guy would do what I wanted. Once everything painted correctly, I'd buy my volume of paint. Did this on walls that needed to be spotted and sections of woodwork that had been restored. Takes some color knowledge, perserverence, and luck. Only lost 1 quart to error, though there were a few that were VERY full before the match happened!

Remember when EVERYTHING was matched by eye??
Scott Conger

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am

Did the early T’s have floor mats? As far as paint on the floorboards in that era I think it probably was from overspray or a simply a quick coat of what was handy. Just my opinion of course.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Peter, Memphis TN wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm
... It's a good idea to do something to insulate part of the underside of the floorboards, where they pass quite close to the exhaust pipe. I've seen boards that were quite heavily charred in that area, and only by chance did they not catch fire and destroy the vehicle. As you pass by an A/C service truck parked in front of a house, stop and ask them if they have any scraps of foil-faced insulation lying around, You only need a couple of square feet. You can staple it in place after painting.
The floorboards on my car had a piece of asbestos cloth on the underside where the exhaust pipe ran underneath. I was able to find a chunk of similar asbestos cloth (from a recycled building materials place) when the old stuff finally disintegrated, but if this one goes, I'm not sure what I'll do to replace it - maybe fiberglass cloth? I know unprotected (seeing the damage on other T's from not having that area protected) the wood will char. And I'd rather not have that extreme a heater in the winter!!!

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sun May 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Mark, you used to be correct, that the computers only found the closest match. Today, however, they can do an exact match. Essentially it's an infinite-choice machine.

They also know that a different mix of colorants is required for each type of base.

As for Home Depot, not only "the kid" doesn't know how - their machine is a 'closest match' machine.

Susanne: the idea is to either reflect the heat, or to insulate the wood from it -- preferably both. A foil-faced batt of fiberglass or other insulating material does both. As a last resort, you could just tack a piece of aluminum sheet to the bottom of the floorboard, and that would reflect radiant heat.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Peter

that is excellent info!

won't likely use the info anytime soon as I've traded our old traditional home for a cabin, and it's interior colors are varnish, varnish, and varnish. :D
Scott Conger

SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by SurveyKing » Mon May 06, 2019 8:56 am

Bill, I just asked Jonathan Anderson, who makes them, what he recommended to replicate the original as close as practical. He suggested one coat of black epoxy primer, matt finish brushed on to get the original translucent type finish. That is for my 1924, so would guess black was used for earlier models also?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic