Anyone on here who was on the first Forum?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Anyone on here who was on the first Forum?

Post by Jem » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 am

I joined when Gus Stangeland was webmaster. Was he the first? I can't remember the year (always had a rotten memory) and I shredded all the old records that might have told when I first had the internet. Pretty sure it was when I had my Dell PC, which had a steel case that would have done credit to a Snap On tool cabinet, cost me £2000 and had less memory than the £40 fitness tracker currently on my wrist. Pretty sure it was before 2000.

Ralph Ricks (RIP) was probably the most prolific poster, I think Michael Pawalek and Stab Howe were around. Frank Harris? Terry Horlick? Terry and I had a minor fight over the screws holding my wheel rims to the felloes; it's alright Terry, I have forgiven you.

I also remember several server crashes, including one which wiped the archive, and there was the big online fight which lead to the MTFCA Board closing it all down and very nearly refusing to allow it to restart. I think it was said that none of them had used the Forum, or even knew it existed.

There's a lot of people out there I think of as good friends, but who I have never met, and am unlikely to.

Forget all this nostalgia - onward & upward!

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Re: Anyone on here who was on the first Forum?

Post by DLodge » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am

Jem, you and I may have joined around the same time, since I also started when Gus was webmaster. Yes, I believe Gus was the first and also the originator of the MTFCA online forum. You and I messaged back and forth on the forum from time to time and finally met in person at the Ford Centennial in Dearborn in 2003. I remember that we were within a hundred yards of each other near the Ford headquarters building and talking on our cell phones to locate each other. There was some delay in the conversation because it was a transatlantic call...

Remember this sign in front of the headquarters?

DBEntranceSign.jpg
DBEntranceSign.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 21509 times

I also remember many of the people you mentioned, as well as the occasional "food fights" that led to the forum's being closed for a bit.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 am

I came along a little later, about 2001.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:57 am

I trailered my TT home sometime in mid-2001. I almost immediately found the Forum and started posting questions as I dove into the project. I do remember all the posters you mention and some of the discussions that went on back then. Yes, many friends I've never met and not likely to.

Topic author
Jem

Post by Jem » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 am

Yes Dick, that was a very memorable trip for me, you've awakened a couple of redundant synapses. I also met up with Dan Treace and a couple of others: we all considered ourselves Forum regulars by then. Trent Boggess gave me a personal guided tour of all the landmarks of Dearborn, which was brilliant. And on my last day before flying home, I got to take the stick and fly a half-circuit as co-pilot on the Oshkosh-based Ford Trimotor. Great memories.

I don't remember that sign, but the event was fairly chaotic in its organisation: I think it sums it up pretty well

I remember Mike & Henry as regular posters.

Joss
First Name: Joss
Last Name: Sanderson

Post by Joss » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

Remember the off topic discussions and my trying to organize 50 cars to journey to Detroit mostly on line. Also running out of minutes on my cell phone. Sooo different today.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

I guess I joined later but I don’t remember the actual date. I know Bruce sent me an email suggesting I join and he set up the profile for me. In those days my computer was in a tin box and the screen a cathode ray tube, very deep and bulky. Later I switched to a laptop and today I mainly use my phone. What a change over the twenty odd years.
I suppose all this was after Gus as the moderator as I remember that Bruce was the only moderator until Chris took over. We should be very grateful to these guys for the volunteer time they donate to the well being of the club.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 am

TonyB wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am
... We should be very grateful to these guys for the volunteer time they donate to the well being of the club.
So true, Tony, so true. It also never hurts to say so from time to time. :D

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm

The Forum opened February 7, 1997.
forum CD ad.jpg
I was on the Board of Directors during this era, and unfortunately the Forum was treated as a step-child. It was a real up-hill battle for a long time. There were a couple of really big p*ssing matches and the Forum got shut down. Everyone went over to the MTFCI site, and then something else went awry. After Forum #2 opened, people slowly migrated back and I believe it has been going strong ever since.

I have a huge blue notebook that is my own personal reference book. It has early correspondence and advertising. Later, I printed off pages from the forum. In addition to the names mentioned, I have words of wisdom from other early posters include George Shebley, Reid Welch, Jim Cook, Bill Eads, Dennis, Oberer, Jack Putnam, Bill Bamber, Guy Z., and Stan Hockstra.

When I became a member of the two-piece crank club, I reported the incident on the forum and casually mentioned the fact that the front timing cover got cracked and that I was going to have to find a replacement. A week later I had a surprise package in the mail from Havre, Montana. It was timing gear cover that Marv sent to me. I did not ask for one and he didn't say he would send one. He just sent it because he knew I needed one. What a kind gesture.

Early pages of my personal reference book include snail-mail correspondences from guys like Tom Carnegie, Ted Aschman, even Mel Miller!

I have had the good fortune to meet many people and make some very good friendships because of this forum.

Thank you, Gus. Thank you, Chris. Thank you, MTFCA!

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

We purchased our first computer in September/October of 1997..... I remember Gus and appreciated his help..... Wow, since 1997....making me feel older. Started membership in the Mid '70's, lapsed for a few years, then re-upped after 1979, and now a Life Member.

Bob J.

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Post by Grady Puryear » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Like others, my memory has shortened somewhat over the years, I do know that it was at the beginning, but I have been in and out several times since I first began. Over time, there were a very few who shall remain nameless, who seemed to take issue with everything, including my posts, what made it worthwhile was that a few posted that they liked my History Lessons, so I ventured in on occasion. Time has caught up with me, my 80's are behind me, and I cannot do what I did back then, and am keeping my Car for nostalgia more than driving. My family has zero interest in it since it doesn't have AC, Stereo and all the rest. I personally liked the old Forum format, I understood it, and to me, it was easy to use and I could wander about and find old posts that meant a lot to me. I have had to hire a Professional to even get this far on the new Forum, and can only hope that in time I will become as familiar with it as the old - God Bless, Grady Puryear, Fredericksburg, Texas, 1925 Roadster

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:11 pm

I was around, a bit of a lurker for a few years...became really paying attention around time of the millenium...the topic list was in tree form only before Bruce (MTFCA) and Tony Cimorelli (MTFCI) got their heads together and had the same software on both sites. Seems like RDR was either fresh off his Great America tour, or getting ready for the Great America tour when I started lurking

As Kieth points out, there was a large migration to this site following Centennial celebration. I've mentioned my thoughts before as to why that happened and have had my hand pressed in a vice...haha. Seems to me (hows that for being neutral and not making a statement :D ) that the MTFCA forum before that was mostly lots of back porch stuff, as off topic as much as on, and lots of content about hustling up and down Rt 5 in California...the MTFCI was 98% nuts n bolts technical.

There were "characters" here, mores than MTFCI (I miss them all :( Anyone else remember Reid Welch?

I'd like to think that because of the centennial, both clubs saw a common mission lay in the future and tried to work together 'closer'...and unfortunately, the forum 'over there' started to dry on the vine for reasons probably associated with migration, and was eventually eliminated.

Guess on reflection, I've been around for around 20 years here? 5 more and I'll be able to get 'historic plates', eh??? :lol:

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 pm

I found this Forum in the early Spring of 1998 while serving in the army in Sarajevo. Was it the first Forum, I don’t know but it really saved my sanity....
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

KeithG
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I've been on it since Gus ran it. I don't remember when I first started, but it was probably in the late '90's.
Yes, I remember Reid Welch and Tony Cimorelli, and Ralph Ricks (rip), and many others. I met Terry Horlick at the Annual Meeting in Reno, but forgot what year that was. It was always fun when going on the national tours to see Bruce, Ben Yumori and Ted Aschman, and many others.
I also remember the negative times when the Forum was suspended or had technical difficulties and was down. Talk about withdrawal pains...
My Wife says all I do is sit on the computer and the Forum all day, but that's not really true. I do check it several times a day though.
Long live the Forum!!!

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887

Post by Bill Robinson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

My first T (a TT) came along in '97. My son and I looked online for info, but all we could find was phone numbers for Snyder's & Lang's. They were lot's of help. We had no idea what we were doing and they helped a lot. A mighty good guy named Gator Gould from L.A. (Lower Alabama) helped us too. I think I made a pest of myself with 'Ol Gator. Then we found the forum- Maybe 1998. WOW! We found out that our TT was actually a 1919 TT with a 1923 roadster body on it. Didn't matter to us. We had fun in it.

:lol: We painted the TT "Gilsonite black", thanks to posts by Reid Welch. That guy was a HOOT! :roll:

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953

Post by ModelT46 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

I am listed as posting since 1999. I probably joined the forum before that. I have been a member of this club since 1965 and other the other club since about 1955. 8-)

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 pm

I know that in the beginning, I used a pseudonym. My family was convinced that the internet was going to become an evil place (maybe they were right?). Anyway, to please them, I used some "name" that I do not remember anymore. I do remember the big crash that wiped out a week or two postings. I remember it well because there was a question about 1916 center-door sedans. Since I had had one only a couple years before, I wrote the longest and up till then best posting of my life! Only to have the crash a bit over a day later and it was lost forever. Sometimes, in the moment, inspiration hits, and the right words just flow out in a long stream, never to be duplicated again if lost. I always sort of figured the crash was my fault from that long post (there are a few tales behind that paranoia).
I didn't post often in those days. Too busy earning a living and pushing the kids through high school. Three years later, the kids were going somewhat on their own, we moved to Humboldt County Califunny, and I started using my real name. As the years went on, this place became my home away from home.

Thank you all! Especially Gus S, Bruce, and Chris B.

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCI Number: 23136

Post by ChrisB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

I am working on an article for the Vintage Ford on the history of the forum.

I started helping Bruce in 2010 and took over when he died in 2012.

There are some threads on the old forums about the history which I will use and information posted above.

We are over 1000 users now in 1 week since the 2019 Forum was opened.
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

D.Yoder
First Name: DEAN
Last Name: YODER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19tour,24tour,25rdpu,27rd.26coupe,TT's,& tractor conversions
MTFCA Number: 295
MTFCI Number: 127

Post by D.Yoder » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I bought my 24 touring from an add on the forum in 1997

Angmar
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bailey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 50335
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Angmar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm

I was using the forum back then while working on 2 running T and TT trucks. Got away from it later to work on early V/8's.
Still crankin old iron

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 pm

As Jem Bowkett posted above I joined the forum when it was two months old and everyone was on dial up modems. We only had one landline here in the house and I had to unplug our phone to use the Internet. Downloading pictures posted on this forum would sometimes take minutes to load when service was bad and my desk with computer was in a utility room where the dogs sleep. The phone jack was two rooms over and I had to run a long phone extension cord tacked to the ceilings between the rooms. My how far technology has come! I Bluetooth from my cell phone now from any location. And yes.....What type of oil is used in the Model T, and do I have to add a lead additive to the gasoline were both asked back then!
P.S.- All these years later and Rebuilding 3 Model T’s I must confess that the planetary gear transmission still puzzles me at times!

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 pm

I was here early on left came back left and now back
Was national member of and on as well

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 pm

I was also on the first forum. I think it was 1999, maybe ‘98.
The first forum poster I met at his house was ClearLake Buddy at Clear Lake,Ca. He was a regular.
The other Bud was Kennith Delong in Michigan. He was a regular then too.
I remember a time for some months when almost nobody posted on the MTFCA site, but everybody was on the International site.
There was a guy on the east coast that started a TT club. He had some model T shirts made to cellabrated the car that changed the world.
I remember a guy in Clear Lake Ill. Or Iowa that moved to Texas. He ran a Ford Ranger 4 cylinder pickup off model T coils. We quit hearing from him just after he moved to Texas.

Bob Williams
First Name: Bobby
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Bob Williams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I joined the forum in 2001. It has been an invaluable asset to the hobby.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I was a late arrival, discovering the forum after I bought a TT project in November of 2007, after a change in my work situation allowed enough time for such things. Bruce was running the show then. When I bought my "1922" touring, it was Bruce who broke the news to me that it was really a 1923. I remember the guys mentioned above who were still on the forum when I arrived, and I recall some who have left us for the worst reason. Among the folks I miss are Bruce, John Berch, and Ralph (always billed as Ricks in Surf City). There was also a guy probably missed by nobody, who fancied himself The Only True Patriot and didn't hesitate to get nasty with anyone who failed to agree with him. I don't know how many people he drove away, but there were some. One night he posted something about shooting people who didn't measure up to his standards, and that did it. It was his last post. I also recall the middle school kid (now a college student) who some people thought wrote too well to really be twelve years old, and must certainly be a middle-aged troll out to make fools of us. He didn't, but some guys did it to themselves. The passing parade has included a lot more positive than negative contributions. I hesitate to name names because I'll leave some out, but I'll do it anyway. I'm always glad to see posts by Grady (one of our treasures), Hap (both well-informed and kind), Dan T. (a photo for every occasion), Stan (Renaissance man), Rich (Mister Art), and so many others who keep me coming back here every day.

IMG_5242 copy 2.JPG
IMG_3902 copy 2.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 am

June, 1999. Tony Cerovski showed me how to find it. I've mostly enjoyed it, have read some obituaries that bothered me, made a thousand friends and a few enemies, have some people who think I'm smart and some who think everything I post is BS.
In the twenty years I've rebuilt a couple thousand carburetors, run just about every major collector car auction in montana, bought and sold a dozen model ts, rebuilt a bunch of Ruckstells, started on a speedster several times, found out about chickasha and been to it maybe ten times, been to Bakersfield, wrote a book about model ts and homesteading and the Milwaukee railroad, a couple other books that had nothing to do with model ts, edited several for other people and found out that a lot of people really don't care much about what you know as long as they can tell you you're wrong and it is a waste of time to try to pass anything you've learned along because they are either sleeping through it, are not interested or prepared to tell you you don't know what you're talking about.
So like a lot of people, I seldom post anything anymore, I read it occasionally and make use of the classifieds, keep in touch with a few old forum guys and let it go at that.
I bought a 27 coupe last fall, hope to get it running and driving in the spring. Got my first t in 1954, had one most of the time since.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 am

I hate this new format where you can't reply to a specific post.
Anyway, in Steve's picture, l-r John Steele, me, Mike Walker, can't tell Jack daron, George house.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 am

June, 1999. Tony Cerovski showed me how to find it. I've mostly enjoyed it, have read some obituaries that bothered me, made a thousand friends and a few enemies, have some people who think I'm smart and some who think everything I post is BS.
In the twenty years I've rebuilt a couple thousand carburetors, run just about every major collector car auction in montana, bought and sold a dozen model ts, rebuilt a bunch of Ruckstells, started on a speedster several times, found out about chickasha and been to it maybe ten times, been to Bakersfield, wrote a book about model ts and homesteading and the Milwaukee railroad, a couple other books that had nothing to do with model ts, edited several for other people and found out that a lot of people really don't care much about what you know as long as they can tell you you're wrong and it is a waste of time to try to pass anything you've learned along because they are either sleeping through it, are not interested or prepared to tell you you don't know what you're talking about.
So like a lot of people, I seldom post anything anymore, I read it occasionally and make use of the classifieds, keep in touch with a few old forum guys and let it go at that.
I bought a 27 coupe last fall, hope to get it running and driving in the spring. Got my first t in 1954, had one most of the time since.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 am

No, was not. Got a computer in 1982 and it took 34 years to find this place. I have seen a lot of forums & websites come and go in that time. So, this is a testament to the usefulness of the MTFCA and its members. Finally a thanks to the members here that make this place more valuable than sitting in front of an actual Model T.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Bill Schubert
First Name: William
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Runabout, 1920 Touring, 1925 TT
MTFCA Number: 22318
MTFCI Number: 18853

Post by Bill Schubert » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 am

I have been a lurker since '99 and pretty much still am. This has been part of my morning ritual and have benefited from the wisdom and experience of many contributors. Watched the "lively" discussion that seemed to peak as cabin fever took hold each year, with members vowing to leave and never come back. NEVER is a very long time. Thanks for the memories and the wealth of knowledge so freely shared. Bill Schubert

MichaelPawelek
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe

Post by MichaelPawelek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:19 am

StanHowe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 am
Anyway, in Steve's picture, l-r John Steele, me, Mike Walker, can't tell Jack daron, George house.
Stan, When you read someone’s post there will be a set of quotation marks in a box to the upper right. Click on the quotes and a page will load with the other persons post and you can write under their post like I am doing now.....

dykker5502
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116

Post by dykker5502 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am

I have been "playing" with model T's since the 1970's where I learned how to drive it in the red pick-up I later got my self :-), but in 2007 I bought the 1922 Fordor. One winter it was stored in a friends basement garage with Central heating, and if my wheels where not with loose spokes before, it was after that winter.
I Googled "loose spokes" and found several hits from the Forum. One in particular catched my eye. After several "good" advices with all sorts of 2-component chemicals someone chimed in "Why don't you just do as they did back then? Drive it down the creek!" :-)
In 2010 I managed to meet several of the forumers at the Chickasha Swapmeet and now again this autumn in Hershey.
I've learned a lot about model T here and it is a treasure chest of knowledge.
And like most "veterans" here, the Model T have increased in numbers. The red Pick-up where I learned to drive Model T is now mine.
Vognparken.jpg
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Post by MWalker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am

StanHowe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 am
Stan -- The "can't tell" guy is Dan Conder.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 am

And for anybody who may not know, the guy in the other photo is Bruce McCalley.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 am

I think I got there about 02, in a quick search I found a post from 2003
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1374.html
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am

I started asking questions about my car when I was in the process of acquiring it or working on it, and that was in 1996 or 1997
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm pretty sure I registered for the first time in 2003 give or take. I was not real active at that point, as I had just gotten done restoring my Model A. I wanted a T, but couldn't afford one, so I didn't frequent the T forum very regularly. I think I ended up re-registering in probably 2006 or so. I don't know. The whole thing crashed in 2012, it seems like, and everyone ended up with the same registration date. And again this year.

JH1427
First Name: Jerome
Last Name: Hoffman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1923 Speedster, 1923 Racer, 1921 TT Wood Cab
MTFCA Number: 215

Post by JH1427 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

I've got saved emails from June of 98', back in the day of dial up. Has when I first started a 486DX compac that was ok, the problem was after work (5 o'clock) I would try and log on to check the form and e-mail, and all the High School kids would be on there and it may take 20-30 minutes to make a connection. Later when my external moden took a spike and would no longer automatically reconnect when it got a busy signal I had to manually flip the on/off switch, it could then as I was not as fast as before take close to an hour to connect. In 1999 got a refurbished IBM that had a 56K internal modem and thought wow! A year later got DSL, the 6th person in town to get it(working for the phone co I was able to understand how much faster it would be), it was like going from Model T speeds to rocket ship. A picture on dial up that would take 35/40 seconds now took 3/4 seconds.
One of the very first "friends" I met on here after Gus was Ralph Ricks when he was running the Great Race. It turned out that year that one of the stops (overnight) was here in my town and we and his crew had dinner, and got a ride after George washed the car. Stayed in touch over the years and finally in 2013 made a trip out to CA for the HME.
One of the things I do remember was when the change to the new format came about and you could no longer receive e-mail notifications of new posts, along with the icon that showed there was a picture posted. All of the most popular posts had pictures...
I have found out about a lot of Model T stuff going on because of the forum, was at the very first Speedster reunion in 2005 and every year since, couldn't make the homecoming in 03' but have been to Richmound every year for the last 3.
model_t@swbell.net
Projects: 1916 Speedster - Dec 15', 1921 TT Wood Cab and Bed, 1923 Racer ( My dad's), 1923 Speedster (started in HS)
1924 Roadster - Dec 23' (eBay) and 1924 Touring - June 24' ( Dad's Car been in the family since 1948)

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Sometime around the turn of the century. Remembering how it was set up back then, someone would comment, man some of those threads got really long just on that one comment. There are people I miss and some I don't. I was on the outer edge of the hobby back then and learning a lot.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm

I discovered the Forum and started posting about '98/'99. Since that time have met a number of posters at various swaps and such. I remember some of the arguments too. My dad would occasionally post and get in trouble for typing everything in caps like he was yelling. He had net tv at the time and couldn't see anything on it across the room.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:26 pm

I think I must have started about 1997, these postings have brought back a lot of memories. I had forgotten about the crashes, and the changes back and forth between the clubs. I also remember trying to get the Rosenthal award for Gus and how many of us were pretty upset the wasn't even considered.
OK, anyone here remember "T- Monk" who would offer to take the "object of your affliction" off your hands--just for your salvation!! ? Terry Horlick and I had lots of fun "here" back then.Hmm, still do have lots of fun here.
Someone mentioned remembering "the days of dial-up" -- Ulh, I'm still on dial-up, whatdaya mean, 'the days of"???? :D
Well, back to work, enough partying for the middle of the day!
Long Live the Forum!!!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Don't remember when I started, 09 I think, it was after I was forced into retirement by the economic problems of 08, that's sure, because that was when my wife told me to start on the Model T again. She was tired of dragging it around and using it as basically an extra storage bin in the garage...so I did. I lurked on here for quite a while, before posting anything, enjoying the posts by Ralph Ricks, especially when he used to get into it with Royce. learned a lot here also, but also realized there was a hole in fabric that is Model T

I asked questions I think, but never really posted anything until I drew my L-4 carburetor out of boredom. It was a really simple assembly and since I had it apart (because I was rebuilding it), I looked at and told myself "I can draw this", at that time I thought I'd make these drawings for my own use, for ordering parts, that's why both Lang's and Snyder's part numbers are on the first few. But later put Lang's numbers on them exclusively because theirs are the closest to the Ford Vendor Numbers and also Don Lang called me and wanted to use my drawings in his catalog. Then Hap Tucker asked me If I'd be interested in drawing the entire Model T Ford and offered me the set of Bruce's works, thinking my drawings could add to what Bruce had started. So I started using Bruce's works to compose my drawings from, using his part number sheets to identify parts and then it hit me, that every one of my drawings needed to be both in vendor numbers and Ford factory numbers with change dates. I made a couple of Carburetor drawings with them, mainly because somebody asked me to (Steve Jelf, I think). But have since gone and made two versions of my drawings...one with vendor numbers that I post here and one with Ford Factory numbers with change dates for book publication, that will be for purchase. Because I need to fund the next phase of my project and the software for that is expensive.

My drawing project of the chassis is drawing near to the close, I've got a few assemblies (about 50 or so) left though and some clean ups here and there too...at the moment though I'm working on the TT rear axle, the generator (which is proving to be a bigger bear to draw than the bloody starter was) and the fan assembly. But there still more to go and as you know, fun never quits! ;)
Fun never quits!

festanley
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Woolf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring
MTFCI Number: 24932

Post by festanley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Gus Stangeland was the fellow that started the Model T Forum. I was another one of the early forum members probably around 1997. We have seen a lot of folks come and go over the years and the shared knowledge and camaraderie has been great. :D

Alan Woolf

Jay In Northern Ca.
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Buscio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1915 roadster pickup 1915 touring, 1927 speedster
MTFCA Number: 49997

Post by Jay In Northern Ca. » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I was a lurker in the very early days.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 pm

I was able to make the change ok and I helped Danny Lorenzi get going. I hope all can make it. Many are intimidated by the change. It is hard to navigate unless you clear your computers history upper right corner. It will keep taking you back to the old forum.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 am

I joined up in 1999 or 2000 I think. Lurked a short while before that. Has it been that long? I have met many people who are friends here and done some business with them. Many I have had the pleasure of meeting in person at Chickasha, Bakersfield, and National T club tours. This forum is a tremendous resource for enthusiasts, especially those who are beginners having acquired their first model T. I live to help these kind of folks and spread the love for these cars to a new generation of drivers. I have also seen things get ugly here. Those who have been here long enough remember things like the hurc98/Reid Welch pissing match. Too bad, both had things to offer. More recently, individuals who are artisans in a narrow field of work important to antique cars could not play well together online. We all lost the opportunity to learn from them as a result. We have all come together here because of our love for model T's. Let's concentrate on that.
Fordially, Erik

BRENT in 10-uh-C
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Terry
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Tourabout, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Touring, 1916 Speedster, 1925 Speedster, 1926 Hack
MTFCA Number: 32295

Post by BRENT in 10-uh-C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

kwtownsend wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm
The Forum opened February 7, 1997.

In addition to the names mentioned, I have words of wisdom from other early posters include George Shebley, Reid Welch, Jim Cook, Bill Eads, Dennis, Oberer, Jack Putnam, Bill Bamber, Guy Z., and Stan Hockstra.

I too have lurked since the early years of Gus, and actually met Ralph & John, along with their mechanic Reed when we all did the GreatRace in '97 or '98. They used my rig to work out of each evening, and many forum posters came out along the route to assist with maintenance each evening.

One name of an early poster I didn't see mentioned was "Herk' who was apparently a fictitious poster who always had a way to add humor to the conversations. Anyone remember Herk (-or maybe it was Herc??)

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm

It was hurc98 I believe. I know him personally. Interesting guy and fun to hang out with. Done a lot of T stuff, retired these days.

KeithG
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 pm

I remember Hurc also and his hillbilly like posts. For quite awhile his true identity was a mystery but it finally came out. I've now forgotten who he is or was... Can anyone re-fresh my memory on who he was?
Thanks,
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Post by Distagon2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 pm

I was fairly active in the late 90's, and remember telling Michael Pawelek how to adjust the clutch in his new Model T. My how time flies....

Greg Jones

Topic author
Jem

Post by Jem » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 am

Wow, I asked an innocent question and unleashed a flood of memories. Great thing about the old car hobby is, it breeds some eccentric, innovative, skilled & generally interesting people.

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Post by Distagon2 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 am

This post got me recollecting some fond memories of 20 years or so past. I met some fine folks on this forum. Marvin in Havre, MT was one of the good guys who seemed to come up with just about any 26-27 part. There were times the forum got bogged down in politics and such but for the most part I found folks on this forum to be a great, helpful bunch. I kind of got away from forums and busy with life, traveling around the world in business. Still have my Model T and will until I die. I expect to be a more frequent visitor now, as my attention has turned to re-restoring my 26 Coupe and solving its magneto issue. And....trying to find the original early 26 closed car upholstery with the green stripe like Bill Hirsch used to sell. Cheers! Greg Jones in South Carolina

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm

I frequently met Bruce McCalley at Hershey, tours and a few other places.

I do believe he set the website up and was the webmaster for many years.

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Jim,

The above posts are correct. Gus Stangeland started the MTFCA website as well as the forum. When he put out a request for help in running it I volunteered some time and worked behind the scenes. I used to administer the photos and for a while ran a member's story section (which is still hidden on the server if you know where to look) as well as doing the home page and forum when Gus left. After the club changed the software they put Bruce in charge. Later Bruce asked me to come back and take the reins which I politely declined in favor of the excellent folks who have continued on.

So perhaps each of us can figure where they fit into the MTFCA Forum timeline by who they remember as the webmaster at the time of their introduction to the forum.
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Wow, Very interesting thread and sure brings back some great memories of the early days and the ladder threads. Good to hear names of past members of the likes of Reid and others. I believe he did a spark plug test of sorts.

When talking about the old days of the Forums I always have to tell about how I meet my neighbor Ralph Ricks aka RDR RIP because of the forum.

I was posting some questions about my OF carb and wondered if I should replace it with the correct one for my '12. Of course many guys offered to take it off my hands! RDR posted about his running the Great Race and he listed his location as Huntington Beach! Turned out we could nearly see each other if we had looked out our windows when sitting at our computers! He turned out to be my best friend and often drove our T's together.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:18 pm

I think we got our computer about 2003. I remember being on the forum after I first found out about it. I remember some of the names of the people mentioned above. As far as I can remember Chris was administrator. He has done a very good job.
Norm

MikieB
Last Name: Black
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 23 Spdstr, 25 Spdstr, 25 TT, 25 Hack, 26 P/U
MTFCA Number: 22331
MTFCI Number: 20331

Post by MikieB » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm

I haven't worked with my T's much, or been on this site much for the last few years , but, I got on today and saw this thread. It was great to see some of you folks still around. I got on here around 98 or 99 and "lurked" for a long time before posting. I remember Ralph Ricks' p/u, and Reid Welch experimenting with gilsonite on the coupe he drove all over Miami. And Terry's Mountain Wagon, and on and on and on....As we get older the memories grow more important.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Can't really say for sure like many here but I had the '27 Tudor in the very early 2000's so maybe around then. If the "crash" some are mentioning is when we all lost our "seniority" and ended up on a flat re-start plane I was here for that. How about a date to refresh a senior's memory? Check in at least daily. Even laying in the hospital after surgery 2 years ago used the complimentary pad to see what was going on. Bucked the change but realized it was inevitable and adapted so excelsior (ever upward) as they say in N.Y. and thanks to the staff for their time and effort.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Floydv
First Name: Floyd
Last Name: Voie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Touring

Post by Floydv » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Gene C. Yes, I remember when you and RDR " found" each other. I remember Reid W. also. Hope things straightened out for him... One of the guys I miss is Bob Gruber (rip). He was the organizer of our Tenino lunch get togethers. Didn't see anyone mention Hugh J ? Yep all of that was on dial up!

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 am

Hi Floyd! All of us in the Carbon Canyon Model T Club miss the Grubers,....Bob and Joan both! Other clubs too, as well as the summertime Mrs. Turners Cruise-In. In the spirit of the Grubers, I think we should do that lunch thing at Scotty B's in Tenino every once in awhile, once this "car owners virus" thing finally dies down tho', right? Speaking of lunch at Tenino, whatever happened to Jim Thode? Never hear of, or even hear ABOUT him anymore, on the forum or otherwise! Not only a great guy, but that guy is a pretty darn good all-around Model T "gear head" too! Only problem with the Tenino lunch thing is that none of us know all those back roads as well as Bob Gruber did, right?

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 am

....oops! Got to "remaniscing" and forgot the subject of this thread! Can't remember when I first joined the forum, but it was either just before, or right after I retired in February of 2002. I can honestly say, that altho' I probably haven't learned a lot, what little I have learned about old Fords has been thanks to this forum and all the great people on it! WOW! Eighteen years, and I still haven't learned how to even post pictures yet! Guess I'm not kidding when I say that I'm "just barely" computer literate! Seems I have to do something about a hundred times on the computer, all the same day, or I can't remember what I've learned! (.....guess it ya' can't remember how to do something, ya' really haven't LEARNED it, huh? :lol:

Floydv
First Name: Floyd
Last Name: Voie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Touring

Post by Floydv » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 am

Hi Harold!
Yes, once this virus stuff is over I think lunch at Scotty B’s would be a good way to celebrate!
Floyd

jiminbartow
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 am

I’ve been around since 2004. I miss the old forum and many of the old members who are either no longer with us, or choose not to post anymore, or very seldom, like me. I was searching the old forum and I was amazed at how much more interesting and active the old forum was. There were many, many more postings per day by a larger percentage of members than there are now. I may be alone in my thinking but I think the OT being taken out of the general discussion forum and put in a separate category has contributed to this downturn in forum participation. When a bunch of friends get together, they talk about all types of subjects, which keep things interesting. They don’t forbid the discussion to be limited to one subject. OT subjects help you to see what subjects you have in common with who and helps to bond the members. In other words, I wish OT would be included in with the general discussion forum Iike it used to be. Jim Patrick

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:45 am

I dont know when I first joined, but it was a long time ago! So much so, my sons have grown up we me in the study on various computor's studying the forum. My wife and sons share a quote, "Dads in the study, forumming" which only relates to perusing the MTFCA forum. I have learned so much, sometimes shared some wisdom and made some great friends, some who I have actually had the pleasure of meeting in person and discussing our love of Model T's. I hope it keeps going forever. Thanks MTFCA.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 am

I'm an old timer too; this thread has brought back many memories. I felt a special connection to Reid Welch, because we are both piano tuners. Hurck always seemed to find something funny to mention. Met Terry H. here--and I remember when Rick & Gene figured out they were neighbors. At the time Terry was still dentisting in an office just down the street from Linda's folks house in Grass Valley, so I put a card on Rusty's windshield, "Dial 1800 we buy junk." In some ways there was more kibitzing and joking back then. Anyone remember T Monk who offered to relieve us of our objects of addiction? Of course at no cost and they would be taken care of in the monastery, while the choir sings "A Mighty Magneto has the Ford (a power ever-failing). Uh, no one ever took me up on that. . . .
Yes there were some dark times & then there was the big drift to "the other forum" and then we all seemed to drift back here. Someone mentioned all their phone modem headaches, well I'm STILL on a single phone line with dial up (there's nothing else available in my rural location). Lately it has become almost impossible to just read my email, so I'm going to have to figure out something else; what I do nowadays is go into town and use someone's wifi, not the most secure way to connect.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Jem

Post by Jem » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:01 am

jiminbartow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 am
I’ve been around since 2004. I miss the old forum and many of the old members who are either no longer with us, or choose not to post anymore, or very seldom, like me. I was searching the old forum and I was amazed at how much more interesting and active the old forum was. There were many, many more postings per day by a larger percentage of members than there are now. I may be alone in my thinking but I think the OT being taken out of the general discussion forum and put in a separate category has contributed to this downturn in forum participation. When a bunch of friends get together, they talk about all types of subjects, which keep things interesting. They don’t forbid the discussion to be limited to one subject. OT subjects help you to see what subjects you have in common with who and helps to bond the members. In other words, I wish OT would be included in with the general discussion forum Iike it used to be. Jim Patrick
I agree Jim, we're a bunch of old farts gossiping over our coffee, just not in the same room. If the conversation wanders off a bit it adds to the interest and someone will eventually bring it back to the main theme. I've barely looked at that OT area.

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:51 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 am
And for anybody who may not know, the guy in the other photo is Bruce McCalley.
Thanks Steve. ...N.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks Jem. I visited the OT area for the first time the other day and was surprised at how much activity there is over there and how interesting the discussion is. If all those OT threads had been posted in the general discussion forum, all those posters might have lingered and posted something related to Model T’s while here. I just feel that in removing the OT threads in an effort to control and limit the forum discussion to just Model T’s has damaged the natural flow of discussion that was once a prevalent and the most desirable feature of the forum. We all know what happens when too much change is forced upon us. We don’t like it. This is something that a lot of people wanted and now it’s been done. Be careful what you wish for. We had a very special forum and in trying to appeal to some members, it has lost something and made this forum just like other less successful forums it was seeking to copy. We need to try and get it back and restore the participation we had on the old forum. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSteele
First Name: John P.
Last Name: Steele
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 374
MTFCI Number: 137

Post by JSteele » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:59 pm

The picture Steve posted above, Bruce being the first picture. On the next one Stan listed all but one, In order left to right me, Stan Howe, Mike Walker, Past President Dan Condor, Jack Daron and George House. Dan Condor sold more stuff for me at Chickasha than I ever did. He is a great guy and I miss not seeing him at the meet. Jack has passed away and the rest of the derelicts are still attending.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:38 pm

To the dismay of many I've been on the forum since around 2001 - 2002.
It has been a great asset to the hobby and a big help to an airhead like me. I too miss many of those who are no longer with us and enjoy ribbing those that are still here.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm

I started in September 1998.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 am

And I think I was on somewhere around the turn of the millenia. I do remember I was still on the bay bridge at the time, and it was one of the few bits of both sannity and insanity at the time. Life got complicated for a while, and it was somewhat, um, a hot LZ here for a while, so it took quite a while to get back here...

But I sure am glad I'm back! :shock: :lol:

KWTownsend
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:21 am

Susanne,
For some of us, you will always be Bay Bridge Sue.
: ^ )
Keith

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:29 am

jiminbartow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:04 pm
I visited the OT area for the first time the other day and was surprised at how much activity there is over there and how interesting the discussion is. If all those OT threads had been posted in the general discussion forum, all those posters might have lingered and posted something related to Model T’s while here. I just feel that in removing the OT threads in an effort to control and limit the forum discussion to just Model T’s has damaged the natural flow of discussion that was once a prevalent and the most desirable feature of the forum. We all know what happens when too much change is forced upon us. We don’t like it. This is something that a lot of people wanted and now it’s been done. Be careful what you wish for. We had a very special forum and in trying to appeal to some members, it has lost something and made this forum just like other less successful forums it was seeking to copy. We need to try and get it back and restore the participation we had on the old forum. Jim Patrick
Jim's post is worth re-reading. He is right. The old forum was very much like a bunch of Model T guys getting together in someone's garage and talking. It was about Model Ts and, to steal a well-known quote, also about "shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings." I have never been asked to leave a group of Model T guys chatting about stuff and to go into another room unless I agreed to talk about Model Ts and only Model Ts.

I have six windows open on my computer all the time: my home page, which includes news and is a jumping-off point for whatever else I may want to look up; the MTFCA forum, which now means just the General Discussion Forum - I look at the OT forum maybe about once a day; Facebook; and three windows related to my high school class website, of which I am the administrator. I am afraid that the negative comments above about segregating OT posts is an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. The intent, I am sure, was never to reduce the number of forum posts but the consequence of tucking OT posts off in a corner where people cannot easily (and don't) go has had that effect. Sometimes I want to post something there and then end up not bothering because I figure that very few people will see my post.

Perhaps a solution is a simple one-click button at the top of the General Discussion that takes the user directly to OT, and a similar button on OT that takes one back to General Discussion. An alternative might be to loosen the rules about "OT" posts.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:10 pm

I totally agree Dick. Very well said. Many members rightfully consider MTFCA members closer than family and their best friends. Relationships that were cultivated over years of reading their opinions and building bonds over many years of interaction. I never had so many close friends than I had on the old forum and many of them disappeared with the new forum and now, rarely even post. That is a resource of Model T experience that cannot be replaced. OT posts, ideas, opinions and mutually interesting topics shared with friends were like a road sign that attracted many members with varied interests to visit the forum several times a day just to see what was going on and once they were on the forum scanned the new Model T posts to see who they might be able to help. Many complained that all the OT posts took away from the space that could have been used for Model T discussions, when in reality, OT posts actually increased forum participation. It was great and versatile entertainment. I enjoyed visiting my friends and to share with them. Even though I have owned my Model T for 50 years, I have been lucky in that My Model T has always run great and I have had to do very little extensive work on it, other than several engine overhauls, therefore I have only a fraction of the Model T knowledge than most of the other old-timers, so that I don’t have as much to contribute to a Model T’s only site other than to ask for help. On the old forum, my requests for help were met with hundreds of helpful answers and interesting discussion and exchange of ideas. On this new forum I am lucky to get one response, so now, if I have a problem, I mostly search the old forum for answers which, while helpful to me, is not as fun and does not help to educate newbies like live interaction did. At least when OT threads were included in the forum they were a big attraction for me and caused me to visit the forum more often and, if there was a question I thought I could help on, I would try. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic