Poured some babbit tonight

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Poured some babbit tonight

Post by Erik Barrett » Thu May 30, 2019 3:12 am

Tonight my dad and I poured some T main caps, about four sets of them for projects in the queue. This is something we have done together for so many years and there are hundreds of engines out there with our bearings. Dad and I are best friends and we are perfect partners when the fires in the shop are lit. He manages the babbit and tinning solder pots and I handle the molds, preheat, and pouring. It is a balet dance between the two of us that we have gotten down pretty well. Sadly, every pour that we do is closer to our last. Time is closing in on dad. He will be 85 this year and getting feeble. At some point I can’t have him handling 900 degree metal. Good news is we have a partner that can handle either of our jobs and dad is moving towards a quality control observer and having just as much fun. We put on seminars for local clubs interested in what we do. I love to share what we have learned. Anyone that wants to see just let me know. Bring a block and crank.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Re: Poured some babbit tonight

Post by D Stroud » Thu May 30, 2019 5:33 am

Erik, great to see someone passing along their expertise and knowledge. I hope more master craftsmen do the same, once they're gone, that's it. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Roffe
First Name: Rolf
Last Name: Oehman

Post by Roffe » Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 pm

You should definitely have someone to make a video of your dad and your "balet dance". A precious memory in the future. Manny model T enthusiasts including me sure would love to see .

Tim Williams
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Speedster, 1922 Model t Speedster project

Post by Tim Williams » Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes a video tutorial of pouring babbit would be so cool. Between Me and my uncle we have numorus blocks and keep debating on weather to split the cost on the Gene French set up for pouring and line boring.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Erik, I have very much enjoyed knowing you and your Dad. You have a relationship that most people in the world cannot really even imagine. I had a good relationship with my Dad, and we worked together for more than thirty years before he passed in his early 70s. My Dad was a bit difficult, but I wouldn't have traded our relationship for --- (I don't know what?). Every time I see you both at your place, I can see what a wonderful team you are.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Sir Babbit Of Auburn

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Henceforth .....

I will Greet Thee As .....

Sir Babbit Of Auburn ....

Protector Of The Pour

Baron Of Bearing

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Fri May 31, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks guys. I will see about getting a video done. I can just barely post pics successfully without them being sideways.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 am

I've often thought of what a wonderful relationship you and your dad have. It's a rare thing had a real pleasure to see. Always enjoy my visits and talking with you both. See you tonite!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic