OLD PHOTO - Down home

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jay In Northern Ca.
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Buscio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1915 roadster pickup 1915 touring, 1927 speedster
MTFCA Number: 49997

OLD PHOTO - Down home

Post by Jay In Northern Ca. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am

Our house is a very, very, very fine house with two cats in the yard, Life used to be so hard, now everything is fine since we got our new Ford..la la la la........:)
Our house is a very, very, very fine house with two cats in the yard,, Life used to be so hard, now everything is fine since we got our new Ford.jpg

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: OLD PHOTO - Down home

Post by TWrenn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

Fantastic pic Jay! Beautiful house and the clarity of the pic is outstanding. Thanks for posting, and adding a little "music" to it! I actually sung the words!! :lol:

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

A perfect picture. I used to think if only we could go back to those days. The better solution is to look at these photos and imagine how pleasant it might have been.
Thanks as always Jay.
You find the Best.
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
Jay In Northern Ca.
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Buscio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1915 roadster pickup 1915 touring, 1927 speedster
MTFCA Number: 49997

Post by Jay In Northern Ca. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 pm

I was standing in this yard until I put my hand in my pocket, pulled out a penny, saw the date of 2018 and before I knew it I was back in my recliner in my living room.....SIGH!

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 pm

I love the photo. When my kids, now 31 and 34, were small we sat in the living room floor and played 45 rpm records a lot. "Our House" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young was a regular. It goes well with the picture. :D Thanks.

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:17 pm

"I was standing in this yard until I put my hand in my pocket, pulled out a penny, saw the date of 2018 and before I knew it I was back in my recliner in my living room.....SIGH!"

Ala "Somewhere in Time"???
Marshall

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: OLD PHOTO - Down home Three Models Ts ?

Post by Novice » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Looks like three cars in the picture. What is the large white object in front of the barn ?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

The luxury of just being able to sit and do nothing is something we take for granted today.
It was a rare commodity back in the day. Life was somehow more pastoral and tranquil in
many ways, but work dominated people's lives and was far more physical, in the main. The
key (IMO), is to surround oneself with the good things of that era, with the improvements and
efficiencies that 100 years have given us since. That house is aesthetically wonderful. I'll
bet it was a chore to heat. For some things, we can have our cake and eat it too.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Amen Brent. The woman in the rocking chair looks like she is on her cell phone. We see the same thing with these phones day in and day out that the first thing we think of when we see a woman with her hand near her head or just holding something we think its a cell phone :(
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Yes, and she is talking on her cell phone with the woman sitting on the front porch step also holding a cell phone.
No, that would be a picture taken in 2019.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:13 pm

I remember the photos but forget the titles and often look a second or third time. They are always enjoyable then just as some are fun to see if they were re-posted. To play this game you can make object be anything you want. I saw the white object as a late 60' GM or Mo Par vehicle. Not liking that time frame I have reconsidered it as a roof of a shed with tree leaves or a handkerchief darkening the center. Often the fuzzy photos seduce our imagination more that the cleared ones.
Is it good or bad or just fun?
The predominant car is a 1917-1922 Model T per the 3-window back curtain.
Behind it to the right I want to see a 1 or 2 cylinder car or buggy but it's most likely a T or other car with fender partially obscured by bushes.
ObjectQQ.jpg
ObjectQQ.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
When did I do that?

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 pm

No AC, no indoor plumbing, life expectancy in the mid-40s ---- yeah, bring back the good old days :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 pm

No AC ? Build a convection-designed house, like many did back in the day.

Indoor plumbing is overrated ! :roll:

Life expectancy was largely dependent on where one lived and the relevant kinds of work
that area supported. A much higher child mortality rate really brought the average down.
Most people that survived childhood lived long lives. When I was a kid, I was always attracted
to old people ... their old junk, their stories, maybe catch a bit of wisdom ? In the 60's and
70's, people who were 70-100 years old could relate a lot of really interesting stuff about life
in the 19th century and early 20th century. Fascinating stuff. Wish I could still go back and
ask more questions !

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 am

Wish I could still go back and ask more questions !

Boy howdy. I'd have some questions to ask if I could have Mom and Dad and all the aunts and uncles back.
How old were you when you saw the first plane that flew over Sedan?
How did A.L. lift those big rocks when he built the house?
Were you close enough to hear what Taft said?
Did the interurban car use the city tracks?
Where was the end of the interurban line?
Did Nila Mac put you on the air?
Lots of questions.

When an old person dies it's like a library burning to the ground.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am

Every time I open this picture my eyes go to that tree stump in the middle of the yard. Why did they cut it down ? Was is hit by lightning ? Did it die ? Roots in the cistern ?

My own theory is that Pa planted equally spaced saplings all around the house (Perhaps at Ma's direction). Good idea; trees make shade. But as the trees grew up, Ma realized that the middle one was blocking her view. So she told Pa to cut it down. Kind of like rearranging the furniture in the living room. There may have been some discussion over that tree.

Been there, done that.

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am

Amen Steve, my thoughts exactly. When I think that my oldest grandfather knew well Civil War vets, that were still young enough to remember and tell about the war, I think about all that he could have told me, had I taken the time to listen. :( Papa's grandfather built guns, muzzleloaders of course, and lived in VA an WV. His name was George Washington Nichols. What a difference a generation or two makes in the things we know how to do too. My son and grandsons may never know how to saddle a horse or mule or hitch up a buggy but they do/will know how to drive a Model T! :D

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am

I’ll bet the house had high ceilings, no closets and as the picture shows no underpinning. Bet they heard their dogs scrambling for possums and cats at night under the house! Maybe even a polecat! Now that would be interesting!

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

Listen to grandma. My mother was born in 1904. Her grandmother, born in 1825 lived to 1918. She would talk about Abraham Lincoln to my mother. The reason is she had lived in New Salem, Ill and knew Lincoln when he ran the store. Treasure what your elders have to say. I will be 87 on this Friday. My oldest stories are of the depression and dust bowl years and of WWII and my army days of 1950-53. Even my first NEW car, a 1965 Mustang covetable is a story to tell. Wy first car is my 1910 T which I bought in 1946 at the age of 14. Bought my 1931 wide bed PU in 1969 and my 31 standard roadster in 1977. Drove the roadster yesterday. Treasure what you have and your memories.

gary80005
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Giarratano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster, 26 Touring in progress
MTFCA Number: 14947
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by gary80005 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:48 pm

I can relate to what you are saying about a library burning down when someone dies. My grandmother was born in 1899 and I would sit around for hours and ask her questions about the old days. I think that is why I am so enamored with the 20s. My parents were born in the mid 20s and rode in their father's Model Ts when they were young. They were both born at home, drew a water from a well and had outdoor toilets until about 1938. Dad has been gone for 21 years and I still want to call him and ask questions. I'm grateful for the stories my grandparents and parents told me and glad I listened. My dad would talk and tell stories on all of our road trips. I learned a lot about geography and local history that way. I've done the same with my son who is 37 and he listened to his grandpa and me. I've tried it on my great nephews that are less than 15 and I can't get them to put their electronic devices down to listen or look out the window. Very sad!

About the picture. I was loving it until I saw the white object behind the T and people on the left. Now it is driving me crazy because it looks like a late model Avalance truck!

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 pm

My parents "bought the farm" in soon-to-not-be rural area outside of Seattle in 1969.
I already had the bug for old junk, but this place took a mild mental illness and turned
it into full-blown madness for anything from old barns, to old cars, to tools, to ANYTHING
steam era. Model T's, being the most prolific of vehicles from that time, were to be found
left to rot in the woods, fields, fencelines, etc. Some were fortunate enough to get shoved
to the back of the shed and were spared the weather. But these places ALL looked like
the place in this photo.

Over the hill towards town from our place is where the TT truck sickness really got into
my head. A truck nearly identical to the one I own today sat in Mrs. Miller's shed, next to
her Fordson tractor and various farm implements. As kids, we'd get in and pretend to drive
it. When I got a little older, I got to know Mrs. Miller a bit, and she shared lots and lots of
stories about what our area looked like in 1915, which I found utterly fascinating. The more
she talked, the more questions I had, and so it went. Who built this road, where Mercer's
old barn originally stood, the trolley schedule, the ferry schedule, bringing in the apple harvest
with the old TT, even buying the TT new. And she was just one of many who had lived as adults
in the 19th century and shared vivid stories of what life was like.

I love old photos like this, because I can "walk" right into them and literally feel part of the
scene.

Today, a client had a stack of her family photo albums out and invited me to paw through them.
I am feeling somewhat euphoric now, because of it. Mary is 71 and these albums go back 4
generations for her. Great stuff. In two photos, the family had captured the first time they
put electric lights on a Christmas tree ... one without them turned on, the other in a darkened
room with the lights on, ... all four bulbs ! I made a comment and she said that was the same
thing her grandmother always pointed out ... four bulbs ! Things and thrills were so much simpler
then. I have clients that put up FOUR Christmas trees each year ! Lights in the hundreds ! Back
then, four bulbs was a big deal.

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

otrcman wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am
Every time I open this picture my eyes go to that tree stump in the middle of the yard. Why did they cut it down ? Was is hit by lightning ? Did it die ? Roots in the cistern ?
My guess is it's the chopping block where they lopped the heads off of chickens.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 am

Our past seems a long time ago, but I knew someone who lived when there were still people who were born before there was a United States of America. Grandma was born in 1873. Were there any 100-year-old people in 1873? Sure. And they were born before the colonies became the states. All our history as a nation fits in three lifetimes.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

bill goodheart
First Name: William
Last Name: Goodheart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 30991

Post by bill goodheart » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:28 am

I always enjoy the old photos that Jay posts. The ones where we try to interpret various items in the photo are interesting and entertaining. I don't think anyone else has mentioned this but I see a horse standing in front of the lady who is standing by the right front wheel of the T. Also a small child standing by the lady's left side. I think it is a little girl. She is hard to see but if you look at their feet you can tell she is there. You can seer the horses nose and ears barely past the tree. It looks like the lady might be grooming the horse with her right hand.

I still don't know what the white object is, but I wondered if it could be something possibly drawn by the horse and just unhitched ?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm

The white object that’s questionable looks like it could be a wagon with a tarp over the back of it. If you notice looking through the T Touring it appears to be a tarp pulled over the wagon. The road that leads to the area where the supposed wagon is is in the sunlight and the wagon if that is what it is. The sunlight gives the seat and front of the wagon a bright appearance.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:23 pm

In rare instances those people still exist today. Huguette Clark only passed in 2011 and was born in 1906. Her father passed when she was almost 19, certainly old enough to have known him, and he was born in 1839.

ancientseeker
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Stubenvoll
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘22 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 49567

Post by ancientseeker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Jay, your reference to the movie “ Somewhere in Time “ brought home some fond memories. The Straits area car show started about 1976. I went to the first one and returned again for many years until it turned into a mostly hot rod show. About 1979, parts of the movie were being filmed on Mackinac Island during the car show period, and a lot of brass era cars were ferried out to be used as props in the movie. It was the only time in recent history that cars other than emergency vehicles were allowed to drive on the island’s streets. Horses rule the roads out there to this day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic