Production Stopped of Parts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Production Stopped of Parts

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 pm

What year did Ford stop producing parts for Model T's? I have a genuine Ford price list for 1941, but does that mean Ford was still manufacturing parts for Model T's then? My common sense, or lack of tells me that as long as Henry was alive, Ford dealers were required to maintain the parts, but that is only a guess. After Henry died, did Ford issue notice advising dealers to get rid of their stock or what? I'm asking for facts not guesses. I've submitted my guesses here!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Production Stopped of Parts

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Wikipedia has a page on Model T Engines that states Ford ceased making T engines in August of 1941 among other things. Or so they say. They list lots of sources of T information. Maybe somewhere in that reference material there is something about T parts production and dealer information about it. Maybe the Ford company archives would more detailed information about it.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:44 am

Can't answer when parts production stopped, but in "3 Pedals and A Lever", by Gordon Stromberg, talks about pulling parts from the shelf's at a dealership in Salem Oregon in the 50's. In the end he just could not do it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:05 am

John,

Wikipedia is correct about the last documented assembled original Model T engines were produced in 1941. They most likely obtained that information from Bruce McCalley's book, CD, article in the "Vintage Ford" or his on-line abridged version of his encyclopedia that is located at:http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm

His Engine Serial Number listing at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm has:

1941 engine serial numbers 15176882 to 15176888
The last Model T engine was assembled on August 4, 1941. A total of 169,856 engines were built after the last Model T was assembled in Dearborn.
And Bruce's book & CD has additional details for many other date before that.

But note, we do NOT know if that was to supply a replacement engine to a customer -- i.e. be something that any customer could have ordered or if it was for some special Ford use (i.e. maybe Henry Ford wanted it for his use).

Another recent example of that was the Model T engines that the Ford Motor Company had cast, machined, and assembled for the 100 anniversary celebration of the Ford Motor Company. Yes, they made the engines, no they were not really supplying spare parts for ordinary Model T owners.

Larry you asked: "What year did Ford stop producing parts for Model T's?"

One plausible answer to that would be at least as late as the 1914 Model Ts produced for the 100 year celebration. So I suspect you are really asking when did they stop producing normal replacement parts for dealers to purchase and stock for Model T owners.

In 1941 the 1927 Model T was only 14 years old. And of course during WWII normal car production in the USA was halted. So a late 1920s T was not really that old of a car yet.

One point of reference -- that might be helpful would be to learn when did Ford USA no longer require dealers to stock replacement parts for the T? For the Model A Fords, we know that Ford Obsolete Parts of Hollywood in their 1966 or so catalog had a photo of their 1932 Ford truck loaded with NOS Ford engine blocks, crankshafts etc. that they had purchased from a Ford Dealer. (You could purchase an assembled Model B block with all new original Ford parts but the rebuilt Model A bock was a lot less expensive).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

JohnH
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am

The thing which got me into Model T's was a book by Floyd Clymer which I found in my local library back when I was a college student. It's going back a bit over 30 years, so I can't remember its title, but two things really struck me reading it, which began my interest in Model T's. Apart from being a car with nice aesthetics which was sensibly designed mechanically, some parts were said to be still available from Ford dealers (I have a vague recollection of band linings being mentioned). I recall the book was published in 1968.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am

Floyd Clymer certainly gave the hobby a big boost. As kids we humored a nice lady who always spoke to us on our walks to down town. It turned out to be a Sister of Floyd's. I have a couple dozen of his treasures.
When did I do that?

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:16 am

Yes, Floyd Clymers books were interesting. I recall Henrys Wonderful Model T showed a picture of a 1925 pickup. I liked that picture right away, but never could understand why I hadn't seen or heard of one. It took me many years to even see one! Now, I have owned two of them.
It still would be nice to know when Ford ceased producing Model T parts.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 pm

In the 1960’s JC Whitney catalogs had a section of NOS T parts. I also remember going to auctions with my Father and one was an old Ford dealership in a small town here in Texas. The majority of old stock parts that we were interested in (Model T) were already sold to a parts dealer in old car parts before the auction started. He bought them all in one lot. If Ford stopped making a complete T engine in 1941 the rest of Model T chassis parts and etc probably were phased out around the same time or later.
What was left over was kept in warehouses and dealers then later sold to the highest bidder. We probably won’t know for sure since there had to have been lots of parts already avaliable before 1941.

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:41 pm

There's a fighting chance that production stopped sometime in the 1930s, and they assembled motors from parts on hand through 1941. There might be documentation at the Benson Ford Archives, but I don't know where you'd start to look.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Trent Bloggs can probably supply the information where to look for the final production of T parts as he is the expert on what the FMC bought as raw stock. From that, it wouldn’t be a wild guess as to when production finally ceased.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I think Motorcraft F11 spark plugs were recently removed from the Ford parts catalog so... last year or so?

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 pm

When I was a young parts collector, I bought a really nice high head that had a casting date of 1937. I'd love to find one of those " '40 Ford" model T motors... just because...

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by James_B_NC » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm

The serial number on my engine puts it in 1931.
The forum's resident Millennial.

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Larry,
The latest Genuine Ford Model T and TT Price List of Parts that I have is from June , 1941.
If you study it you will see that many parts are not available. Right side rear axle housings are listed for 1915-25, but none for the left side, and none at all for 1926-27. For the front axle, they had right side spindle bodies for the 1925 and earlier cars, but none for the left side. They had left side spindle bodies for the 1926-27 cars, but none for the right side.
Because of those examples and more like that, I think Ford stopped producing most T parts in the later 1930's, and were just listing and selling what they had in the warehouses.
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:40 am

Jim, thanks for that details of the last price list. Don’t have that one so didn’t know. I guess that’s a Retail Price list for owners or repair shops to procure from factory outlets.

Have searched period magazines to find any ref. of Ford quitting mfg. of T parts but no success.

But, all these articles read so far up into 1941 details Ford’s spending and conversion to military efforts, and lower car mfg. One could surmise the WWII activities, either build up years perhaps earlier made Ford stop the last T pieces , that being completed motors, in 1941, so no more factory T parts.

Have noted too that a lot of Ford prints have ‘obsolete’ stamps of late ‘26 and early ‘27, so with the Model A developed fast bet a few parts were gone from Ford factory floors sooner than later.

Of course the huge Ford service and dealer network would have reams of spares for the two decades or more after the T’s demise! Since the dealers had to use Ford prices (hence that late ‘41 Retail Price List issue) to sell due to contract, those parts were likely in only the factory facilities that serviced dealers.

One could assume Ford factory assembly and warehouse facilities in the various cities would be unable to order parts from Highland Park main factory perhaps years earlier than 1941. Only more research is needed to know differently, maybe the thousands of factory produced parts were phased out over time.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:25 am

Well, searched a bit more and found this.

Seems an official of auto association proclaimed that Model T service, parts, either aftermarket or perhaps Ford, would continue into the decades of well into the mid 1930s! ;) No real mention of Ford factory parts supply.

Still think the WWII efforts cast aside mfg. of new Model T parts by Ford during that period, with the last T Parts List of Parts in 1941. And may well be true that Ford stopped mfg. of factory parts much prior. Of course aftermarket suppliers continued as long as they could, but many fell by the way side in the depression of '29, so many aftermarket Model T parts companies lost any new market in 1927, with the poor Model T Ford being discontinued. :cry:

Click on picture to enlarge for reading.
ford T Parts.JPG
Automotive Industries, July 30, 1927
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Here are scans of the cover and the first 4 pages of the June, 1941 Price List. I can scan more if there is interest.
This price list is the 8-1/2" X 11" size that would fit into a binder.
Attachments
Scan_20190629.png
Scan_20190629 (5).png
Scan_20190629 (4).png
Scan_20190629 (3).png
Scan_20190629 (2).png
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic