LOSS OF POWER

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HAP
First Name: HOWARD
Last Name: PULSIFER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 OPEN TOURING MODEL T
Board Member Since: 2016

LOSS OF POWER

Post by HAP » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:34 am

I am a relatively new model t owner of a 1925 open touring model t. I recently had the engine and transmission over hauled/rebuilt I just recently brought it out of winter storage. it started right up and runs fine until a load is applied. No problem in reverse but when trying to go forward the engine dies. I tried it several times and never was really able to get going. I finally got it back in the garage. I thought it might be a timing issue but it runs fine when no load is applied. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what may be the cause of the problem and how to fix it?

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: LOSS OF POWER

Post by perry kete » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 am

Perhaps the parking brake is not releasing when it's pushed forward to the drive position. As we know when the parking lever is in the center neutral position the car will operate in reverse but not forward.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:42 am

Hap: say what ? Now as to the posting: Jack the rear up and check the emergency brake action. They just might be locking in forward & slipping in reverse.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:35 am

Perry, I have never had my cars unable to drive forward (with low pedal) with the brake lever in the center. In fact I teach new drivers by placing the lever in center so they will be able to drive without the complication of high gear.

It sounds as if you need to check the adjustment of your parking brakes!

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 am

Tell us more...
Stall in low ? Immediately or slowly ?
What carb, battery or mag ?
Could the reverse or brake bands be to tight ?
Does it roll in neutral with the engine off ?

My park brake drags a little when straight up, but only in reverse, forward is fine. 1 more click forward and it's fine.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm

The phrase "relatively new model t owner" prompts me to ask if you're advancing the timing after starting. I've had a senior moment and forgot that a couple of times until I noticed the lack of power. Another possibility is fuel starvation. If the engine gets only enough gas to idle, you're not going anywhere.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Does it do it both on bat and on mag, or on mag only?

If it only does it on mag, you may have too loose end play in the crank, as when you engage the motor, it will pull the magnets away from the field coil, and your ignition will suffer or die... Don't ask me how I know this, but it is indicative of worn end play at the crank.

If it does it on both, then something is binding elsewhere (see the other posts)...

JRSpada4
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Start with the simplest things first. Make sure you've got good fuel flow to the carb from the tank. I flush out sediment from both the bulb and the carburetor bowl first thing every season. And when was the last time your timer was cleaned. When mine starts running rough, I know I've forgotten to do it.

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Howard - I think Terry Horlick has come very close to the problem because he is absolutely correct in that the car should respond normally to "low pedal" and move forward with the low pedal depressed when the hand brake lever is in a vertical position. In the vertical position, the brake shoes should be released, and the cam should be holding the clutch released. If this is not the case, there is definitely something wrong! By "something wrong", I don't mean necessarily something broken, but rather, something terribly out of adjustment. Make all adjustments, literally "by-the-book", and see if that doesn't correct the problem,....FWIW,....harold

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm

I agree, if you can't engage the LOW pedal with the lever vertical, something is definitely out of adjustment.

JimKelsey
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Kelsey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Tudor
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JimKelsey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:13 pm

If it runs in reverse, but not forward, the problem is not in the parking brake. The brake would work in either direction. If you have Rocky Mountain brakes, you might be too tight. In that case the rearward movement tends to disengage the Rocky Brakes, but forward will tighten them. So you might need to adjust them. Another thing, (this might seem stupid) Are you using the low pedal to go forward or are you using high? I know this seems stupid but one could become confused with an ordinary stick shift on which you let out the clutch when you want to go. I would suggest that you find someone in your local area who can check the car and also observe your driving it to see what is causing trouble.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic