Ruckstell push/pull rod question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Deke
First Name: Deke
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2017

Ruckstell push/pull rod question

Post by Deke » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm

I have a '26 Touring with Ruckstell, and the lever is on the same side as the hand brake. The rod that connects the shift lever to the rear axle is a very weak piece of mild steel tubing that is joined in the middle by a threaded core, roughy 3/8" in diameter. There is about an inch or so of bare thread visible on the core and this is causing a problem. As I travel the general vibration and movement cause the rod to sag a little. This means that shifting from normal to Ruckstell Low is fine, but when I try to shift back the rod flexes at it's weakest point, which is the threaded core, so I'm pretty much stuck in Ruckstell Low until I can straighten out the bent piece.

I'm convinced this link rod in not original and has been knocked up (somewhat poorly) in someone's workshop. Can anyone verify if this is the case? Also, is there a part I can buy to replace this? I see that Lang's have a replacement rod, but the listing says it won't work on left hand Ruckstell levers.

I can provide pictures if it helps.

I guess worst-case scenario is I thread a whole loads of nuts onto the threaded core part to take up the slack, but I'd rather find a better solution if there's one out there.
Last edited by Deke on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scottio

Re: Ruckstell push/pull rod question

Post by Scottio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:08 pm

The PO of my car made a support for that rod about half way between the shifter and the rear axle. Hung it off the drive shaft housing.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:11 pm

You described one fix, add some locking nuts. And be sure you have installed the P206, that support helps prevent bending of the rod, and helps reduce rattles too.

Original rod were two piece, and the connector was a solid bar cylinder, fitted into each end, and riveted to each tube end, provides a solid connection and tough to bend.
Shifter and support.jpg
Shift tube support .JPG
Shift tube support .JPG (49.44 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Last edited by DanTreace on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Deke

Post by Deke » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:13 pm

Yeah, I did think about that Scott, but reluctant to drill holes in the car. I guess I could fashion some kind of clamp that bolts on.

Dan, what's a P206?

Topic author
Deke

Post by Deke » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Hmmm, can't edit. Don't worry Dan, I found it - thanks. Can I use this even though the lever is on the left?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 pm

That shift support , P-206, can be positioned anywhere around the torque tube. Just a C-clamp with a rubber grommet, I like to add some silicone paste lube to the grommet for easy sliding of the metal tube.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Deke

Post by Deke » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Sounds like just what I need. Hopefully someone here in the UK can supply one, buying from the online US stores can be a little pricey on postage.

Thanks all for your help.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:59 pm

When I did the Ruckstell in my 1915 the shift rod and support bracket were missing. Generally now-a-days guys use metal conduit for the shift rod. But since I did not have the support bracket, I made made out of 1/2" black iron pipe. That sucker does not flex!

: ^ )

Keith

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm

The rod I got from Chaffins is one solid rod with an adjustable clevis on one end. You can adjust it so the lever is just where you want it and so it doesn't interfere with anything else. That clamp on bracket will also help to keep your rod from flexing. Those can be bought from the suppliers too.
Norm

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 am

The late original Ruckstell shift levers are splined. These are problem Eaton. They can be adjusted anywhere you want them. I would never use the floorboard plate that Dan Posted. Ruckstell never made them. You only need a hole that's big enough for the shift lever.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic