Quick change band advice

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Quick change band advice

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:04 pm

I am planning on removing the brake band to inspect the lining due to some brake chattering I’m dealing with right now. I am not used to replacing quick change bands but when I put this car back together I installed them because I didn’t want to go through removing a hogs head unless I absolutely have to. So my first question is how do you keep the band concentric to the drum when you’re wrangling it in and out of the transmission? I have the Ford Service manual but the information is pretty limited. Does anyone have a video? There is only one video I’ve found on YouTube and it’s not very helpful.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Quick change band advice

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 pm

how do you keep the band concentric to the drum when you’re wrangling it in and out of the transmission?
I don't believe you truly can, and certainly cannot tell for sure, once reinstalled.

Bummer!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am

I'm in agreement with Scott - I've done dozens of band replacements "in car" and all you can do is start the band from down by the clutch throw-out lever and carefully follow the contour of the transmission cover as you feed the detachable ear end around the drums and into the abyss !

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

I know it doesn't answer your question but...if I ever pull and reinstall a hogshead again, I'll rig up something that will hold it from the top while I lower it down slowly and wrangle it into position.

My first and only hogshead experience was the single most unpleasant automotive repair experience ever....on any car, of any year.
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 pm

The problem I found with QC bands was, you have to put the solid end down so far to attach the QC ear, that it gets caught on the hogshead.
I used a long forked trim tool to hold it away and fish it back up after installing the ear.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Hey Don. I have removed the hogs head from my old T speedster many times over thirty years to change bands so I know what you mean. But I’m 6’1” .. older now and my current T is a 1923 runabout. I can’t imagine getting in there comfortably and wrangling that thing. Yes, absolutely I would suspend it from the threshold of my garage if I ever remove a hogshead again. That’s why I installed the quick change bands in this T .. to avoid that.

DickErfertFlagAZ
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Erfert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Canadian Ford
MTFCA Number: 19627
MTFCI Number: 22263

Post by DickErfertFlagAZ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:33 pm

I just had our '25 Canadian Tudor out and readying it for the 4th parade, after about 20 miles and coming into my driveway, the low speed gave out and it appears to be the end for the cotton band material. I have quick change bands so this can't be so difficult, right? Then I looked in the opening to the transmission and after disassembly of the pedals and other parts, there seems to be a problem. The quick change ends are on the right side of the band. I will have to remove the hogshead to make the change, in the T. Any suggestions? I don't think it will be in this parade!

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:47 pm

No, you do not need to remove the hogshead - merely bring the bands one at a time to the rear of the brake drum so you have enough room to get the fixed ear beyond the brake pedal boss, remove the detachable ear then let that end drop into the abyss whilst keeping a hold of the fixed ear - remove the band but follow the contour of the hogshead as closely as possible to prevent total distortion !

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Now that I have seen positive results or stopping the brake chattering from using 30w oil .. I am going to run with these linings for a few weeks. If the chattering returns or I hear something odd .. I’ll re-evaluate including pulling the quick change bands.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:48 pm

My ears were on the right side when I did my reline recently. I put them back on the left, but I think being on the right was easier to deal with.
I did it all through the inspection cover.

DickErfertFlagAZ
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Erfert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Canadian Ford
MTFCA Number: 19627
MTFCI Number: 22263

Post by DickErfertFlagAZ » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Thank you all for the help with my band change which I appreciate very much, as much as I hate to do it, I will pull the engine out and make a complete inspection of the interior of the engine because of all the fiber debris I have found. I am sure the oil return to the main needs cleaning as well as the outside oil return tubing. I will also check the bearings as I do not know how long ago the restoration of the engine was done. Good time for this as we don't have another tour this month! Thank you again for all your help.
Dick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic