Original Ford commutator: Need some inside dimensions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darren J Wallace
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B
Board Member Since: 2005

Original Ford commutator: Need some inside dimensions

Post by Darren J Wallace » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Can anyone tell me what the MAXIMUM inside diameter of the phenolic material with it's 4 metal segments can be machined to before it is deemed too big? Also, what was the original inside diameter supposed to be when these were new from Ford? I'm referring specifically to the 1913 cast aluminum timer casing variety if that helps. Many thanks in advance!
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Original Ford commutator: Need some inside dimensions

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:35 am

Darren, I feel the limiting dimension is not the diameter of the roller path, but rather is the thickness of the metal segments on which the roller makes contact. If they phenolic is too warn, cleaning this up may mean the contacts may be machined too thin. I have cleaned mine up a couple of times, before I struck this limit.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Original Ford commutator: Need some inside dimensions

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:56 am

The early timers seem to have the metal segments imbedded into the fiber material so one cannot physically see how much contact is remaining after machining unlike later Ford timers that the steel contact edges are visible bedded into the fiber.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic