HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Paul B
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 TOURING

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post by Paul B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 am

I KNOW THERE MUST AN AGGREGATE NORTH OH 25000 YEARS OF COMBINED MODEL T EXPERIENCE OUT THERE., SO IM' SURE SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME ON THIS.
I WANT TO PUT STOP TURN & RUNNING LITES ON MY T. SO I BOUGHT THE FRED HOUSTON MTFCA "T" TIPS CD 7-4 MODEL T SAFETY PART 1. THEN I BOUGHT THE LED LITES, THE TURN SWITCH THE BBAKE LITE SWITCH & BLINKER RELAY. IT LOOKED SO SIMPLE IN THE VIDEO, I SAID "WHAT COUILD GO WRONG?" WELL YOU NEED A CIRCUIT DIAGRAM WHICH IS NOT IN THE VIDEO. THAT'S WHERE THE TROUBLE STARTED; THE LED LIGHTS HE RERCOMMENDED HAD TWO FUNCTIONS, BRIGHT & DIM. THE CAR NEEDS THREE FUNCTIONS; RUNNING, STOP, & TURN. I HAVE BEEN PLAYING ON A "BREADBOARD" WITH ALL THE COMPONENTS MOUNTED, A 12 POWER SUPPLY. & A BUNCH OF CLIP LEADS. THE BEST I CAN DO IS GET RUNNING LIGHTS & TURN SIGNALS, WHEN I HIT THE BRAKE SWITCH THE TURN SIGNALS GO OFF & THE LIGHTS STAY SOLID BRIGHT. IF ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME A CIRCUIT DIAGRAM THAT WILL GIVE ME THE THREE FUNCTIONS I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL
ALSO IF I COULD BUY NEW RED LED LIGHTS WITH THREE FUNCTIONS I WOULD DO IT.

THANKS FOR READING THIS, PAUL

Scottio

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post by Scottio » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 am

I am unfamiliar with the system that you have but you need either an integrated turn signal switch that will integrate turn and brake lights or, as you said, three lights in back. One dual filament and another single filament.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:29 am

It would be great if someone who has accomplished this feat of electrical engineering could publish a list of components that will work correctly together along with a circuit diagram used to hook them together. I have followed diagrams published before, which look logical and easy enough, but have not been able to get a working system using led lights. I have heard time and again that led lights are finicky, but there must be a combination that will work! Cheers, Bill

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 am

the function you're looking for is in the proper type turn signal switch. for instance; you're stopped at a light with the left turn signal on. the switch allows the right brake light to be on but removes the left from the brake circuit and routes it through the turn signal flasher so you have 1 turn signal light & 1 brake light. The system uses the same filaments (bright) in the bulbs. obviously the opposite happens with a rt. turn signal situation. It's all in the switch.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am

The signal system that Charlie mentions above is readily available from the vendors. They even have the diagram you need. I put a set on my 25 with no problem. You can either supply your own wiring as I did, or pony up about $90 and get the "ready made" set for it to make things simpler. I pulled the Jelf Mr. Thrifty card and ran all my own scrap wiring that someone gave me for free. It seemed to make the signals work better! :lol:

dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by dhosh » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:31 am

I didn't purchase a kit.... But did put in drop resistors (mounted on the firewall), as the LEDS didn't pull enough current to get the lamps to flash.

As it sounds like you have the blinkers working on your breadboard, this likely isn't your problem, however.
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 am

I once tried to set up LED running lights. Gave up on it and ran globes with standard filaments. These are much easier to adapt to existing lights or period additional lights. They require no additional resistors, no special flasher can or switch and most importantly, no new tricks for me to learn. Besides which, I can do it my way with 6 volt components.

I am told LEDS have NO filaments. The same LED is driven in different ways to achieve brighter brake lights. How this happens will remain a mystery to me.
Allan from down under.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 am

Paul,

Sorry, I could not find the supplier. We bought them off of tbay. I just looked there and you can find any color or configuration of the bulb you would like. We purchased a standard aftermarket 7 wire turn signal switch. You will need an electronic flasher as the LED bulbs will not draw enough current to make a standard flasher work. I plan on hiding the switch under the dash so it will be much less visible with only the handle protruding just enough to use. I have set up this system in the past and it has worked very well for me, just follow the 7 wire diagram for your switch.

Good Luck,
Terry

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm

It would help to see what the components you have are and/or how you have things wired now. I assume that the taillights are double contacts.The first diagram is the general wiring using a black box (trailer), second diagram, that takes care of making the tail light brighter when you step on the brake. You may not need this - don't know what you have. The last one is for '26 T. If you show me what you have I can help.
USE THIS TO WIRE TURN-BRAKE-TAIL Lights.jpg
Taillight Converter Box.png
Taillight Converter Box.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
1926-1927-model-t-ford-wiring-diagram-p1.gif
1926-1927-model-t-ford-wiring-diagram-p1.gif (35.77 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
Also your flasher needs to be for LED lights. Suggest you work on the turn and brake lights first then the turn signals. LOL Frank
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:36 pm

I meant to say work on the tail & brake lights first - everything else disconnected
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Paul B
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 TOURING

Post by Paul B » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:45 am

I REALLY AM GRATEFUL TO ALL MY FELLOW T LOVERS WHO RESPONDED TO MY REQUEST. I AM GOING TO SEE WHAT I CAN DO WITH ALL THE INFO YOU GAVE ME & REPORT BACK LATER. REGARDS, PAUL

MrTwT1915
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Wiltshire
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring 1916 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 27055

Post by MrTwT1915 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:32 am

Gentlemen
First you do not have to use a load resistor when using LED lights. Just buy an electronic flasher, these are designed to work with LED Lights & NO LOAD RESISTOR required.
I recently spent a lot of time writing an article for the Vintage Ford magazine explaining how to use LED lights on your Model T complete with a wiring diagram & parts list.
If you go to my website www.twcomponents.com you can download the article from the Tech Articles tab.
If anyone has any questions just call me or send me an email.

Jerry Young
First Name: Jerry M
Last Name: Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring1927
MTFCA Number: 31760
MTFCI Number: 24585

Post by Jerry Young » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 pm

What is the part number of the trailer converter in the above diagram and will it work on 6 volts?
Thanks
Jerry

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 am

I am not sure if this will help because I think I have a different turn indicator switch, but in order for my rear lights to work correctly, i.e. one light blinking and the other solid when turning and braking, I had to wire the brake lights through the turn indicator. There was one wire coming from the turn indicator that got power from the brake light switch. The current ran from the brake light switch to the turn indicator and then to the brake and turn indicator lights. That way the turn indicator switch was controlling both the brake and turn indicator functions. Hope this is clear enough.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 am

Jerry Young wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 pm
What is the part number of the trailer converter in the above diagram and will it work on 6 volts?
Thanks
Jerry
I don't have a part number since I bought a kit from one of the vendors. But, go to etrailer.com and search for a universal converter, not a model-specific converter. They have the 4-in, 3-out converters that don't require a 12V power wire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic