Engine sound???

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Loftbed
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Letcher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32097

Engine sound???

Post by Loftbed » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Definitely not T related, but I am thinking about buying an XK120 Jag. The seller sent me a video with the engine starting and at idle. My question is, does it sound like there is a miss or possibly a surging going on especially during the last few seconds of the video. It just doesn't sound right to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edETsjdwVZ0

Thanks for the time

Rod
:D
1965 Shelby Cobra (Factory Five repo)
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1941 Ford PU

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Engine sound???

Post by Kaiser » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 pm

you are right, that does not sound right, while it starts readily, and certainly looks the part, the valvetrain is way too noisy for my taste and i hear a faint knocking sound. When the camera reaches the tail end of the car you can clearly hear the popping sound that may point to a stuck exhaust valve or something.
Still, that does not have to be a big problem, maybe a tune up will fix that. but if there is more damage it might get costly.
These Jags are beautifull cars and a joy to drive, if the price reflects the state of the engine and possible repairs it might still be a great buy !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:59 pm

A 1962 3.8 sedan is one of my cars from my past. I will not tell you what to do, one way or another regarding purchase.

If valve noise bothers you, I will tell you that you should investigate what it takes to adjust the valves on a Jaguar twin overhead cam. It is no small matter.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 am

Yes you know the saying ; "Buy a Jaguar and you are bound to develop a long lasting relationship with your Jag mechanic" :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm

It has a rolling miss right away, a tiny surge towards the end and maybe a small rattle. If the engine was cold on that start, it may straighten out and...well...ya know. It sounded a carb or more to me but I've never had the pleasure of getting acquainted with one.
I drive a 14 year old Chevy pickup and I refuse to drive him unless he's warmed up some and the light piston slap goes away after the exhaust leak warms and quiets. Once warm tho, he's silent. Engine noise is about the only thing I can hear. :oops:
Keep us posted. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic