Please show me a picture of your split rim tire cage

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Please show me a picture of your split rim tire cage

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 am

My uncle volunteers for the Forney in Denver and they are looking to build a tire cage for inflation of tires on detachable 2-piece split rims. I have expressed my opinion regarding design and use but am certain he would prefer to see what someone has built over my written description.

Do any of you have such a thing, and if so, would you be willing to provide a picture?

I thank you, and so will the volunteers at the Forney.

scott
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Re: Please show me a picture of your split rim tire cage

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

I have found and suggested an OSHA approved cage for them
there is no need to respond to this request
thank you
Scott Conger

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Gonna do it anyway Scott. :)
Yuck, you must be talking about the Budd style split RIMS.
Would you post a pic of the cage please? I myself and perhaps others may appreciate seeing it.
I've an image in my head of one type but no pics. Four or so pieces of heavy tubing bent into a U shape and the ends welded on a platform.
The image may be useful to help express the importance/safety of our TT's with split RINGS too. :)
It's been beaten to death here but a nice reminder perhaps. ;)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi Duane

here is a link to a cage offered for sale...https://martinsindustries.com/en/produi ... tion-cage/

there are some impressive and probably nearly "snuff films" of truck tires blowing if you search youtube (yuck). Also some very graphic movies showing why you DON'T want to lay the tire down (that was really instructive to me...would have never suspected).

Only time I ever wrangled one of these beasts was on an AA bus that is now the parkinglot/museum shuttle at Ford Museum. My dad and I found and restored that thing in the '70's. As a kid I never realized what I was potentially getting into and was in fact the first tires I ever demounted/mounted (and am here to tell the tale).

In hindsight, I think kids in the '60's/'70's were just as naive/inatentive/careless as kids still are and always have been...only thing is that back then we didn't have OSHA, EPA, or statins, or safe spaces...so only the strong and smart survived...today...not so sure...Darwin was right :lol:
Scott Conger

Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Post by Duey_C » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Hahaha! Yup! George Carlin on the subject of marbles in the mouth too. He was kind of correct also. :lol:
Ick, I will not be looking for clips like you describe.
There it is! Thank you sir! :)

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 pm

I have seen one come apart. I was an Army mechanic and this was a deuce and a half tire. The ring was "sprung" taking it apart and it would not go back on properly. Someone wanted to see if it would seat when the tire was aired up. I and most of the other guys knew it would not. We put the thing in the 'home made' cage made of angle iron, and stood back as it was aired up. Most everyone knew what was going to happen and even those that thought it might work, knew what COULD happen. And when it did, it scared the L out of everybody. The cage was bowed on both sides. There had been two chains across the opening that latched into a couple of links that had been cut open and welded to the opposite side of the cage as 'hooks'. It straightened out the 'hooks' and chains now lacked probably 1-2 inches of being able to reach across to where they had been hooked. Even knowing it was going to happen, it was still a scary experience. I was expecting a loud noise. I was not expecting the amount of damage it did to a welded angle iron cage.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm

My cousin was airing one up in a cage. He didnt have the snap on air chuck so he held a normal air chuck on it. He paid the price as when it let go it laid 3 fingers on to the back of his hand. He got to keep them but they dont work very well.

Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 am

I must admit there is a Milton, snap on air chuck in my pickup, waiting for that time with my TT tires.
Scott, thanks for bringing this back. Sorry I Up'd it. :)
Never a dead subject. Like the steel, under the seat and elusive hinges.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic