Napa tour - bummer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Napa tour - bummer

Post by AdminJeff » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm

So there’s a first time for everything....first time I’ve had to call a tow truck. Ever.

Transmission nastiness. MAjor bummer.
Attachments
E440E0EF-0409-4840-8695-2B58F6BBA854.jpeg
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Napa tour - bummer

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Oh shoot!

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 am

wayne sheldon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm
Oh shoot!
Right? I’ll take off the hogs head tomorrow with Brad and see what went wrong. Nothing good, I’m sure.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 am

Jeff, this is not your first trip down this road. What’s up with that? What are the symptoms and conditions extant at the time of the failure?

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Erik Barrett wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 am
Jeff, this is not your first trip down this road. What’s up with that? What are the symptoms and conditions extant at the time of the failure?
Yes, I know. And the car was running so well after all the work we did. I literally drive it almost every day.

But, Im fastidious about keeping track of noises on this car so I can relay exactly all the stages it went through before failure. About a month ago I started getting a noise that sounded like a faint paint rattle can when coming to a stop. The noise generally stopped when the car stopped but not always. Best I could tell is It was coming from the back left (driver) side of the hoggshead.

Heeding the advice that not all noises come from the motor and could just be my noisy rear end (Ring &pinion) transmitting thru the driveshaft, I didn’t think much about it until 2days ago when it got more pronounced. Now it’s there all the time but only when the car is at rest and in “neutral”. Yesterday morning the noise got louder, again only when the car is stopped. I had Brad Lusk listen to it and acknowledged that indeed there was a noise, but he says “that sounds no worse than my rattle trap”.... so again, I’m not worried. I did notice that I could stop the noise completely by depressing the reverse pedal Slightly. Not to the point it engages reverse, but about an inch of travel. I have noticed that using reverse has always been quite a noisy event. But then i listened closely to Brad’s car in reverse, and it’s no more noisy than his is.

So most of the day yesterday I was coming to a stop and slightly depressing the reverse pedal just to get rid of the rattle when the car is stopped. Again, well before the reverse band engages. I should also mention that everything sounds completely normal at cruising speeds and always shifted smoothly from low to high gear.

For reference, I have the brake band set to engage the Rockies well before the brake band engages the brake drum and I have 2-3 inches of brake travel before any engagement of the Rockies. Low band engages fully about 1” from the floorboards, and I’ve adjusted this twice with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the adjustment bolt in the first month after the rebuild. It’s stayed in adjustment since. I drive this car by getting full low band engaged in less than 8’ from a stop and at low revs. I’ve cleaned the ford faithful screen a few times over the past few months, the last time was last week, and only the first time after the rebuild was there any kind of material in it. I assume that was from breaking in the new Kevlar bands and it wasn’t all that much. All other times including last week there was a little bit of the typical sludge to be cleaned.

Then in the late afternoon yesterday, we were coming home and I was coming to a stop from hi gear and pressed the Low-hi pedal in to coast to a stop and it didn’t disengage hi gear. Before the panic attack set in I continued pressing the pedal to low and finally the car started to slow. At this point I then hear a sudden and severe rattle in the hogs head and I shut down the car and called the flatbed tow truck. Luckily (?) I was across the street from a high-end winery and spent the next 3 hours “tasting” wine so I didn’t have to wallow in frustration and depression.

So that’s the sequence of events. I plan on taking the hogs head off tomorrow morning when it’s cool here in Napa just to have a look see. It’s already 90 outside, and I’m still hung over from my solo “tasting” party, so not today.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Ouch Jeff!

Hank

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:43 pm

One of the "joys" of model Ts, is that they ARE noisy. They knock, they clatter, they whine, and they rattle like nothing else. And, usually, that is normal. We shrug shoulders, and drive on, hoping it will be okay. And, usually, it is. But, sometimes, it isn't. And we wind up getting a lift home. Or sometimes, an issue gets worse until we tear it down and we wind up wondering "how the devil did this thing go as long as it did"? Then again, sometimes, there are no bad noises, no real warnings. I had that happen with one T. A tired old worn out engine with the most quiet transmission I or almost anyone else had ever heard. I fully intended to replace the motor with one I had re-freshened (a really nice motor) and use the transmission out of the tired engine. I pulled the motor, removed the pan and lifted it end-wise to remove the flywheel and transmission. Didn't get very far, and not one, but two triple-gears and their pins (the holes in the drum webs had lined up perfectly!) fell OUT and hit the concrete. The pins had to fall through large end through the worn oversize holes in the flywheel in order to fall out! There was very little in that transmission that ! was able to use.

Sorry to hear you are back here again, and way too soon! Part of the adventure.

Speculation. My guess is that by lightly pressing the reverse pedal, you dampened the ability of the drums and gears to knock forward and back, thereby quieting the rattle. Probably going to find a seized tripple-gear.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Other than a mess, there is no telling specifically what you're going to find, but ring/pinion noises rarely are heard when the car is stopped. In the future, if you get advice from someone that rattling noises growing louder, and eminating from the transmission even while stopped, is normal, seek out better advice.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:45 pm
In the future, if you get advice from someone that rattling noises growing louder, and eminating from the transmission even while stopped, is normal, seek out better advice.
Nobody said the word “normal”.... acknowledgement of a noise is different from saying it’s normal. But, I’d been driving the car for several months after the rebuild and it was done with the utmost care by those in the know using quality parts, so who’s to say what a normal rattle does or doesn’t sound like after that?

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Jeff

to perhaps clarify: a rattle coming from the transmission, which is occuring when the car is at rest and not moving, that continues to grows louder (a key point), is not normal. An expensive and frustrating lesson, for sure...I feel for you.
Scott Conger

David Mazza
First Name: David
Last Name: Mazza
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 t runabout

Post by David Mazza » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:35 pm

I am going to be putting a completely new set of drums and triple gears up for sale. It is expensive but will last you the rest of your life to do it once with new parts than look all over to find crack free originals and still those are 100 years old. Just a thought.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 am

David Mazza wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:35 pm
I am going to be putting a completely new set of drums and triple gears up for sale. It is expensive but will last you the rest of your life to do it once with new parts than look all over to find crack free originals and still those are 100 years old. Just a thought.
Appreciated but this trans was pristine when we built it.”I’ve never seen a T transmission look any better. Ever.” Those words from those in the know. Something went amiss. More when I tear it down.

Jeff.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm
Jeff

to perhaps clarify: a rattle coming from the transmission, which is occuring when the car is at rest and not moving, that continues to grows louder (a key point), is not normal. An expensive and frustrating lesson, for sure...I feel for you.
that suddenly grows louder is not normal.

Modified, but Agreed.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:51 am

On the way home from purchasing a 1958 Buick for my wife, she dropped away in traffic
and I looped back to find her sitting in the median with an ocean of oil trailing away behind
the car. A quick scan revealed thrown rods and holes in the block. I called for a tow.

She and the kid got in my 61 New Yorker and followed the tow truck home. As we drove, I
asked her if she heard any unusual noises before the "big bang". She said "Yeah, there was
some knocking that just kept getting louder and louder". I asked what she did then. She said
the noise just pissed her off because she could not hear the radio, so she just kept turning it
up ! :roll:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 am

Jeff

not to beat this to death, but that was exactly my original point
if you get advice from someone that rattling noises growing louder, and eminating from the transmission even while stopped, is normal... seek out better advice
Scott Conger

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 am
Jeff

not to beat this to death, but that was exactly my original point
if you get advice from someone that rattling noises growing louder, and eminating from the transmission even while stopped, is normal... seek out better advice
Its a good thing I never got advice from anyone like that...,
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

pdgriesse
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Griesse
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1924 touring
MTFCI Number: 19738

Post by pdgriesse » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 am

Pull the trans inspection plate FIRST---The three triple gears should be a bit loose/movable---if NOT---That's time to pull the hogshead. It sure sounds like a triple gear issue---Good luck!! paul

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 am

.... or, just turn the radio up louder and keep driving !

Tbz4u
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Weitzel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 coupe,23 touring 14 speedster WILD CHERRY 2 1909 touring 27 roaster
MTFCA Number: 22631
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Tbz4u » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am

Wasnt that avdvice taken from a guy that always has his hood up😄

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm

My SIL had the same problem, 2 weeks prior to the MTFCI tour in PEI this year. He heard a new noise, and asked my opinion. Turned out that one tripple gear bushing was well worn out. Through a major effort, the engine was pulled, trans taken apart, and a new bushing was machined and installed. When reassembling, the brake drum broke one of the lugs. We had to replace that also.
The moral to the story is, if you suspect there is a problem, fix it while it is only a small problem.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 pm

OK... Hogshead off this am, thanks for this forums excellent advice on how to remove it!

No good news. ALL of the triple gear bearings are toast. and burnt toast at that. You can see the result here:
https://youtu.be/fS9wUhwuSV0

OBVIOUSLY MUCH more digging is in order to get to the root cause, however, here are some absolute, indisputable facts:

- this trans was in pristine condition, front to back, when we put it together.
- the complete trans+flywheel originally came from a known source, but none of the actual parts used in the rebuilt trans have a known source.
- ALL the triple gears failed. not just one.
- I probably put a few thousand miles on it since the rebuild.
- it failed over about a month. I drive this car almost every day.
- the rattle-can noise that started it all a month ago was the loose triple gear bearings talking to me.

The leading, plausible theory is that the triple gear bearings were replaced long ago and while they appeared to be sound and measured perfect, the bearing material and/or entire replacement bearing used is suspect, hence the premature failure. AGAIN, we won't know for certain until we tear it all down. So, please hold ALL opinions and judgments until then. I promise to update this thread as we progress so we can all learn from this failure. As everyone knows, it should not have failed in this way. But it did.

to be continued....

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Hang in there buddy.
I got this on my toolbox, maybe it'll help. :)
Attachments
IMG_4435.JPG
IMG_4435.JPG (94.42 KiB) Viewed 11324 times

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Per your request, and as prudent, I won't speculate, but your video pretty much tells the story. And the story is going to be different than what you're thinking.

Once you get the kinks worked out, you're certainly going to know almost every inch of this car.

Hang in there
Scott Conger

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Son Of A Bi--ch !!!!!!!!!!

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Dave Hanlon: Your sign, Race It-Break It-Fix It-Repeat, made me laugh. Back in the years 1985-1991 I raced micro midget's mostly at the same local track. One of my friends also raced, and in a new car after many weeks of breaking parts and up grading parts and making big $$ changes to his car he had a car that could run up front with the big boys. In one of his first few main event's in the improved car he was running about 3rd with a few laps to go. There was a big crash that collected up his car, he was OK, but in looking at the bent and mangled car on the trailer after the race, except for the motor, there was no part that didn't need fixing or replacing to get that top car back. Thank goodness that Model T's are not generally that bad when they break, excepting broken crankshafts, and that Model T's are insurable so if wrecked or caught in a flood, ect., they can be replaced.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 pm

RajoRacer wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 pm
Son Of A Bi--ch !!!!!!!!!!
Right? What else can go wrong after this??

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 am

Ask any Norwegian bachelor farmer, and the answer is:

"It could always be worse"

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:52 am

Pass the popcorn please!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 am

I have a suspicion, but I'll wait and see. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17 am

I think it was the Marvel Mystery Oil in the water pump !

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:17 pm

Ouch, It's a bummer after all that work it should have a lasted many many thousands of miles. Do you have any idea of what clearance was set up for the triple gear pins. I have read several different opinions of what the correct/workable clearance is. I see Dan M posted a comment and he would surely have some good advice about that.
Good Luck and sure sorry for all the extra ReWork.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I am surprised that no one said the cause is l-i-o spelled backwards!

Matt

art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Post by art32mor » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Well shoot usualy stop kick out the X wife
Most of noises went away like my T had healing
Sorry here best be safe then sorry
Keep us posted

momaither28
First Name: momaither
Last Name: thon

Post by momaither28 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:04 am

Hello there,

I am going first time napa city. can you tell me what is revolving in napa city and for what is napa valley famous place?

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:02 am

Keep us posted! There have been a lot of triple gear bushing problems in the past. Bob Bergstadt had the last batch made to Ford Z bronze specifications.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:48 am

What does the Grand Poobah have to say about all of this?

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:58 am

Kind of weird to resurrect this thread with a geography question, but Napa is currently the premier wine country in the US (some say the world). Lots of wineries and resorts in the area, there are numerous visitor’s websites if you google the area.

As far as Jeff’s problem, there was one or more other detailed threads on what happened and how it was fixed.

Keep crankin’
Eric

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCI Number: 23136

Post by ChrisB » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm waiting for Jeff to report back!
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic