Our T will finally get a top

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Our T will finally get a top

Post by thom » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:51 pm

We have been driving our '21 Touring without a top for almost two years now. A new top came with the car but no bows and sockets. I found and bought the needed bows and sockets (Thanks Ed in California) but have not gotten up the courage to install the top myself. I have now found a man nearby that has experience with making and installing T tops & upholstery as well as other T repairs. I have talked to him and I am supposed to get back in touch with him in about two weeks to get our top installed. Right now I'm recovering from some surgery but should be back up to speed in a week or so. I am going to have him install the necessary hardware and make us some side curtains for it also.
2019080495134430.jpg
My nine year old grandson driving the '21 a few weeks ago.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Re: Our T will finally get a top

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Same here ... been driving mine around for the same time without a top. But first I need to fix the seats. One thing after another.

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by noelchico » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Mine came with no top also. We purchased some well used bows, bought the wood for them, and installed the top ourselves. Thanks Teresa! We then bought some clear vinyl at WalMart, along with some black vinyl fabric, and made the side curtains. I don't like the lack of visibility with the stock curtains, so we made them clear vinyl except for the perimeter, which we put fasteners on. We bought Murphy fasteners from Northwest Tarp and Canvas in Bellingham, Washington. We made each side as a single piece, with a double sided large zipper for entry through the doors. Use a large strong paper, or a cheap tablecloth to make a pattern and make sure it fits before cutting out the heavy vinyl and trimming with the black fabric. Teresa says to use tape to hold the pieces together rather than pins before you sew it.We don't use the curtains often but they are wonderful when they are needed. We have even been able to put them on from inside the car and avoid getting wet.
Attachments
013.JPG
016.JPG
012.JPG

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Yeah, I want our curtains to have more clear and less black than the originals did, just enough black to fasten them on with. And of course the little flaps to open and stick your hand thru to open the door from outside. I want GOOD visibility.
Our top will not have the roll-up rear window. We don't have the straps that go on either side of the rear windows, on the inside, but the "top man" say he can make some that are better than the store bought ones anyway. 8-)

WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am

My car also came with an uninstalled top when I bought it, and earlier this month I finally had it installed. The top kit did not have the roll up rear window. I had my top installer add two zippers to the rear panel, so that I can have the increased visibility in good weather of a roll up rear window. While the zippers aren't authentic, neither is any roll up window on a 1915. The installation was neatly done, and I am satisfied with the results.
20190802_160655.jpg
20190803_101518.jpg
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 am

I just got my T running and driving, but have had a top waiting for installation for two years.

I bought a very nice used top bow set so now have everything I need to try my hand at top installation. I admit....I'm intimidated by it, but that's never stopped me from doing anything else. :)
1924 Touring

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi Rusty, Just did the exercise of installing the top on a 1922 body, described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3803

The biggest thing is making heads or tails out of all the pieces then the anxiety of cutting the thing up. After you've done it once it is no big deal.

-- IV

Al Meadows
First Name: Alfred
Last Name: Meadows
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4796
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Al Meadows » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 pm

So far I've been the only guy on recent tours with no top on my 1920 touring. But now I see there's a whole club of topless Ts that have been running around. I recently posted some questions regarding the installation of my top bows onto the car that some of you may have read. First, all four top brackets on the body needed to be re-positioned requiring the upholstery to be opened up. Then the set of bows I bought 45 years ago didn't fit right. I think that from just laying around for all that time the corners opened and relaxed to differing degrees which created a lot of pressure when trying to squeeze them on the car. Both top bows and body bracket issues were solved here on the forum. I soaked the corners of each bow for most of a day and then positioning the bows in my vise where the two rivets are, I carefully bent them back into shape, tied them up and let them dry. No cracking of the corner pieces which had concerned me. With new wood installed on the top it's just sand and paint and I'll be ready for the top in the next month or two.

As always, thanks for the assistance.

Al
Attachments
IMG_3738.jpg

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 pm

ivaldes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm
Hi Rusty, Just did the exercise of installing the top on a 1922 body, described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3803

The biggest thing is making heads or tails out of all the pieces then the anxiety of cutting the thing up. After you've done it once it is no big deal.

-- IV

You've been one step ahead of me for the last couple years and I've learned a lot from watching your progress.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic