LED Headlights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Vrayfoster
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Foster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16395
Board Member Since: 2002

LED Headlights

Post by Vrayfoster » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:20 pm

My 15 car used magneto headlights. I converted them to 12VDC powered LEDs by putting a small M/C battery under the seat and wiring it to the light switch using a half wave rectifier off the magneto to keep my battery charged. I have tried many LEDs headlights with marginal success. The LEDs from LEDLights.com (size BA15D meaning dual contact and fit a Model T headlight holder) under automotive then LED headlights,to find #74475 LED. Installed, the LED outputs 30,000 LUX at 3 feet using a cell phone app. That is 6 times brighter than any other LED headlight fitting the Model T that I have found. No modification to my headlights were required. These are dual beam, hi and low, I just wired to the hi beam as my car does not use dual beams. Current draw is about 0.8Amps. A friend is also using them and says he has more light on the road than the halogens he just replaced.

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Re: LED Headlights

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm

The web site is "LEDLight.com"
here is the link to the bulbs :
https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlight- ... rized.aspx
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Looks like a very interesting possibility. I want to do some long distance touring and having reliable bright 6 volt headlights is a desirable item
Thank you

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for catching and correcting the web site name in my post.
The LED bulbs are rated from 5 to 30 volts. So no need to change over to a 12V m/c battery. I did this when all I could find were 12V LEDs for headlight, stop and tail lights.

mdsBob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Hargraves
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo
MTFCA Number: 471
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by mdsBob » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:09 pm

"I converted them to 12VDC powered LEDs by putting a small M/C battery under the seat and wiring it to the light switch using a half wave rectifier off the magneto to keep my battery charged."

I would be interested to know more specifics about how you did this.
Thanks,
Bob

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:17 pm

I used diode 11N1192A rated at 100V 40A. I've been told a better diode would be a 1N1195 300V 18A. The magneto output voltage on an o-scope was about 90VAC tested many years later. Thus my diode is marginal but it has worked for many years. Off the magneto post I ran a wire to the diode. (it has to be totally encapsulated to keep it from shorting and I used RTV plus electrical tape). The diode output goes to a 12VDC light bulb (1167) both elements energized that I put in my dash. It breaks down voltage and current. The output (I insulated the bulb holder and the case becomes electrically energized) sends the charge current to the positive post on the M/C battery. The output of the 12VDC battery supplies the coils if I choose battery, and to the light switch. The output of the light switch goes to the LED headlights and tail lights. As current draw is less than 1 amp, good quality primary wire 14 gauge was used. I doubt that it has to be that heavy of wire. If the light bulb comes on when the engine is not running and the switch is thrown to battery, the diode has failed. The bulb should just start to glow when the engine is just faster than idle. At as fast as you can go, the bulb will glow brightly and needs a shield if you drive at night. If there is no glow, either a fuse is blown a loose connection or a burnt out bulb. My car is an wooden firewall car. If you use a metal firewall the light bulb has to be mounted so that it doesn't short to the firewall. I've never measured the output of the voltage to the battery as it has worked for almost 20 years. The m/c batteries seem to last a long time plus I've always got lights , a brake light, plus electricity to the coils when hand cranking. I've inadvertently run my car for well over an hour using the battery powering the coils as I forgot to switch to magneto. The coils (i'm using standard Ford Ignition coils) do not get hot or burn out on 12VDC.

modeltmick
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Seibert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 tour
MTFCA Number: 28613

Post by modeltmick » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 am

Logo Lites sells 6 volt led headlight bulbs that really light up the road. They are a little pricy but once you drive with them you will forget about how much they cost.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 am

Modern cars with LED conversions sure show a whole lot of light. I am thankful that these same vehicles have dipping systems which work well. I have yet to see a T model where the difference between high and low beam is readily discernible, especially on magneto headlights. While driving behind such lights may be appreciated, driving into them is another story.

Allan from down under.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:54 pm

I checked into some of the BA15D LEDs but the do require a good reflector behind the bulb to work properly. Luckily I contacted the help line before I placed my order.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Victor, you may have found a bulb with a good match for the focal point of a T reflector. The shape of some of the LED bulbs aren't suited for the shape of T's reflector, the result is less output than claimed as shown in the photo. Could/would you post a picture of the bulb in the reflector, so we know what we need to get. The reason I'm asking is the fine print under LEDLights product picture says "Actual Product may vary from picture shown. One product per package unless otherwise stated." Would appreciate it , Thanks Frank
Attachments
bad dsgn LED.jpg
bad dsgn LED.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 11031 times
Standard vs LED Bulbs.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:07 am

Here's another vender who has these for Model A and Model T...they're a tad expensive, but they do work nice, fits right into the T headlight socket...they've also got some other rather interesting stuff as well.

http://www.logolites.com/
Fun never quits!

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm

For some reason I can't get the picture of the LED to insert. The problem with LED bulbs is as stated in the previous post and that was the same issue I ran into no matter what LED bulb I tried. I needed LED reflectors which no one makes to fit a Model T. I found LEDs similar in design to these, but they required extensive modifications to the T headlights which I wouldn't do. These LED bulbs are designed differently from the LED pix and as such seem to work in a incandescent headlight reflector.

From their write up about the LED design... "The reason the leds light up on both sides of the led headlight is to simulate the original filament by splitting the led into to sides. The reason the led has to be split up on both sides is because the led light CSP only can light up to 120 degrees. Since to emulate the original filament two 120 degree CSP leds have to be used to properly reflect light of the headlight fixture."

I have used several design LEDs and to date, I can be seen, but as lights for me to see the road, they were poor. I live outside of town. No street lights anywhere so I will be able to tell how good these LEDs are in a little bit of driving. In the next day or so I will be running my T at night and will add to the post the effectiveness of the LEDs.

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Ops, my LED headlight failed. I sent an email to LEDlight.com today, a Sunday, and already they have responded stating they were sending another one.

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Today, Monday, I received a shipping notice from LEDlight.com that the replacement LED headlight buld was already in the USPost. That's incredibly great service!

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Today, Monday, I received a shipping notice from LEDlight.com that the replacement LED headlight bulb was already in the USPost. That's incredibly great service! The picture shown by LED lights is exactly what I received.
Attachments
LED Bulb.png

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm currently running LED bulbs from led light.com. They are about half the price and half the cp...900cp I believe. Way brighter than stock, and dim is quite a noticeable difference.

1800cp seems rather bright for oncoming traffic to me. :shock:

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Better choice ?

Post by Novice » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Couldn't down load the picture. But I found this bulb after I ordered the same one mentioned above. It is cheaper and has a advantage. it will work in either the original socket or the after market sockets with the wrong filament to base pin orientation. where the one mentioned above must be in the correct socket or the wedge shaped bulb will be vertical.

6V LED Headlight BA15D
Product Code: 87455
Price : $7.33 - $7.97
6V LED Headlight. Works 6V AC or 6V DC. 60
Quantity 5730 smd leds. Optically filament aligned so
you get maximum light output through your headlight
Volume Price Information
Buy 2 or more and pay $7.81 each (save 2.00%)
Buy 4 or more and pay $7.73 each (save 3.00%)
Buy 6 or more and pay $7.65 each (save 4.00%)
Buy 8 or more and pay $7.57 each (save 5.00%)
Buy 10 or more and pay $7.49 each (save 6.00%)
Buy 25 or more and pay $7.41 each (save 7.00%)
Buy 100 or more and pay $7.33 each (save 8.00%)
Color
Qty: 1
Warranty: 24 Months
Description Reviews
Recommended Items
8/26/2019 6V LED Headlight BA15D 60 SMD - Automotive - LEDLight
https://www.ledlight.com/6v-led-headlight.aspx 4/6
fixture and lens. The headlight is dimmable using a
variable voltage supply. Being dimmable helps out
with the older vintage and classic vehicles voltage
system and wiring is not 100%. There is a total of 16
forward firing and 44 side firing leds. Each 5730 uses
up to 1/2 Watt of power. This bulb up to 950 Lumen
or 60 CP candle power to 70 MSCP. Very bright.
Compatible with C-6 filament designed light bulbs.
Comparable to a 30 Watt to 55-56W Watt
incandescent light bulb. This bulb works in both 6 volt
negative ground and 6 volt positive ground vehicles,
tractors and motorcycles. This lamp can operate 6
Volts and has both a low beam and a high beam
filament. Long life up to 30,000 hours. Long warranty
please see warranty details below. This 6v bulb
shape will fit your headlight without any issues with
installation. The shape is this bulbs is smaller than a
normal BA15D headlight bulb. The maximum
diameter is 1.058" inches. The maximum overall
length is 1.944 inches. CE and Rohs listed. Extended
warranty please see detail page for more details. The
BA15D base has two bayonets that are same height
8/26/2019 6V LED Headlight BA15D 60 SMD - Automotive - LEDLight
https://www.ledlight.com/6v-led-headlight.aspx 5/6
and two contacts on the bottom.

Novice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack

Re: LED Headlights Too Bright

Post by Novice » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:08 am

Installed the two led headlight bulbs tonight. They are very bright. too bright in My opinion for oncoming traffic even on low beam. The led replacement bulbs are aligned vertical instead of horizontal when mounted in factory OEM socket where the filament is horizontal. the lights produce a U shaped light pattern when in the vertical position. and a somewhat c looking pattern when mounted horizontal in vendor replacement sockets depending on angle You look at it lights produce a very broad pattern which looks like it would shoot right into oncoming traffic. I have not driven the car on the road at night with the new bulbs. Lights are well built with quality construction. they work well on six volts with the motor off supposed to work on 8 & 12 volt systems too.

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am

Anybody find and use some LED brake/tail bulbs that work well in daylight? Have a set of single socket/dual pin tails (original tail lights) for the Tudor. In the Touring I have a split function tail light (separate sockets for tail and brake light bulbs). Would like to upgrade those to LED as well. Any recommendations?

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Jim, you have found what I suspected. LED's chuck out a lot of blue light, but it is not well focused. With standard T lights, most oncoming drivers accept that I have dipped my lights when I use the dash switch. It make bugger all difference to me as the driver, but they accept that the lights have been dipped. I doubt I would get the same acceptance if they were driving into super bright LEDs

Their use in tail lights, even for daytime driving, is the correct application for the directional nature of LEDs. A tail light has no effective reflector other than the silver/white paint we may apply to the back. The LED will beam output solely to the rear as intended, be bright as is their nature, and be far more noticeable.

Allan from down under.

Novice

IR radiation

Post by Novice » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Allen. Glad You mentioned the blue light. I noticed after working on the LED lights for a while trying to look at them as little as possible that I had a slight pain in My eyes which reminded Me of when I first tried to arc weld My eyes hurt even though I used a approved welding hood the entire time. There are a lot of devices that put out IR/uv light that we never think about. I had IR TV headphones in the early eighties that had a IR transmitter on the top of TV and a receiver on My headphones after a watching TV for a while I noticed eye pain.now days I don't think it's a big problem. But if Your eyes start to hurt for no apparent reason. don't rule out possible over exposure to IR/uv radiation.

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

It is that blue light which makes LEDs less effective a spot lights. It makes everthing look a shade of grey, and spotting wildlife on the road verges is compromised because colour differentiation is more difficult. The warm light of HID and quartz conversions, while drawing more current, does make driving behind such lights less stressful on the eyes, both for the driver and approaching cars.
I cannot understand the rush to embrace this new technology. I guess it has its place on cars with no battery/charging system, where a small motor cycle battery is used for lighting. Otherwise, a well set up model T system is fine.

Just my take,
Allan from down under.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:54 pm

You guys can have all this led crap! I just found a box of nors 1158 bulbs for my '25. I know they leave a lot to be desired, but they work good on a dark night!

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 pm

I installed the replacement LED bulb and at 3" this is the light pattern from one headlight.
Attachments
LED Pattern.jpg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Two questions 1. What glass lens do you have? I have at least 4 different sets. 2. What did the light pattern look like with regular bulbs at 3'.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Victor, quite bright, but light going anywhere. LED's and parabolic reflectors just cannot work efficiently.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 pm

I use clear plexiglass lenses in a 15 car and the pattern is from a clear lens. My car used magneto headlights and unless running full speed the lights are usually somewhere between no light to useless at night! Therefore, I have no idea what the light pattern would look like with regular bulbs.

I have been using different designed LEDs for several years now searching for one that might allow me to be seen and see at night. As everyone points out, LED reflectors are shaped differently than incandescent reflectors and they are not really interchangeable. No one that I have found makes LED reflectors that fit a Model T headlight.

The bulbs have a color temperature of 6500 degrees Kelvin which means there will be a slight blue hue from them. The Chinese who manufacture them are in love with the blue hue and it is difficult to get LED automotive bulbs between about 5500 degrees Kelvin to 6000 degrees Kelvin color temperature. At that color temperature the LED light would be white. The color temperature of a bulb determines the color, not whether they are an LED or not.

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:43 pm

A pix of the previous LED I was using that gave the most down the road light of any I tested, about 5,000 LUX at 3 feet. They were rated at about 1800 Lumens but widely scattered the light using a Model T incandescent reflector. They quit making this LED configuration and it too has a color temperature of 6500 degrees Kelvin. Again a blue hue! Any faster than 20mph on dark country roads and there was not enough down the road light from this bulb. That was also rather like the light from the magneto headlights but at least I could be seen even when the engine was idling. It is a very bright tail light bulb!
Attachments
Old LED.jpg

Novice

6 VOLT LED HEADLIGHT BULBS

Post by Novice » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:29 pm

I tried both of the LEDLIGHT.COM LED Headlight bulbs. The 5-30 volt dual filament wedge shaped 75 watt SKU74475W. $13.33 and the round 6 volt dual filament 55 watt SKU87455W. $7.81 Both are excellent headlight bulbs which operate on 6 volts and the 74475W can be used on 6,8,12 volt systems as well. I like the construction of both bulbs which had elevated the LED emitters to the same ? distance from the reflector as a original Model T bulb filament. My opinion is the 75 watt to be too bright for on coming traffic and puts out a funny looking c or u shaped pattern when reflected on a wall like Victors photo above post illustrates. It is a excellent Driver's headlight for dark isolated roads really lights things up but on coming drivers wont appreciate it much. The 55 watt 87455W bulb is the one I think Dave was talking about in above post. I think the 87455W is a better choice for several reasons. Is cheaper puts light out in a 360 degree circle of light and has LEDs on top of the bulb as well which eliminates the dead spot on top the 74475 has. which is not set up for original model T socket but vendor replacement sockets which have the wrong filament orientation resulting in the bulb being vertical instead of horizontal in the OEM socket. The round 87455 will work the same in either socket it too has high and low beam just like OEM bulb with elevated filament but much brighter but not too bright for on coming drivers. Can also be left on all the time for daytime running lights. On high beam. I can barely see the amp meter needle deflect. where original pair drew about about 10 amps. more that the generator puts out. it is lightweight where the 75 watt bulb is long and heavy could cause socket trouble after bouncing down the road for many miles. The 74475W would be excellent for use in a spot light. I am glad to see the LED manufactures respond to the needs of pre 50s classic car owners with 6 volt headlights.

My 2 Cents worth maybe less.

Novice

Re: LED Headlights Photo

Post by Novice » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Photo of LED Headlight showing space between the base and the led to put it at the right focal length.
Attachments
LEDLIGHT.com Model T headlight
LEDLIGHT.com Model T headlight
ba15d-60-smdt.jpg (2.94 KiB) Viewed 10068 times

John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:37 pm

I just installed a set like "Novice" shows above. Huge difference!!

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

I finally had a chance to run my car at night. There is a definite U shaped pattern on the road, but the 15 car, designed with single beam magneto lights hit the road about 6 feet in front of the car. It's perpetual low beams! It cast quite a bit of light down the road, but not so much as to blind oncoming drivers with the headlights mounted to cast the light downwards. It allows me to drive at a reasonable night time speed whilst seeing and being seen.

Topic author
Vrayfoster

Post by Vrayfoster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 pm

A few posts up and this was stated:

"which is not set up for original model T socket but vendor replacement sockets which have the wrong filament orientation resulting in the bulb being vertical instead of horizontal in the OEM socket. "

What is totally confusing is I have a 15 car but two different style of headlights. The headlight adjusting screw on one is on the top. On the other it is rotated 90 degrees to the left. Other than that they are identical, but it changes the LED holding by 90 degrees. So it would depend on the headlight assembly which way a bulb was held. I suspect someone way back changed the bulb adjusting screw location for a cost saving reason and with an incandescent bulb it would make little to no difference to the light pattern.

One headlight with the LED oriented vertically gives a U shaped light pattern. The other bulb holder orients the LED horizontally and the light pattern was C shaped. I changed a headlight assembly so both LEDs would be held Vertically. However, I have no idea which headlight assembly is correct for a 15 car, and until fooling with LEDs, I never noticed the difference in the focus screw location before.

Novice

Socket Confusion

Post by Novice » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 am

Victor. My 23 open express has one headlight filament vertical and the other horizontal with factory original 1158. 21/3 cp bulbs both adjustments screws are on the left side of the housing. Confusing U Bet. Seems at some point most T vendors supply of bulbs changed from Horizontal filament in OEM socket to vertical in OEM socket. and then the vendors started making sockets that still had focus on the left side of the can but swapped filament orientation to correct for incorrect import bulbs. Does Your light can with the vertical adjustment screw also have a hole on the left side. another fix was to turn OEM sockets 90 degrees and drill a new focus adjustment screw hole on top of the can. But with the round ledlight.com 55 watt LEDs it makes no difference. which it does with the 75 watt wedge shaped bulbs. from them and logo lights. should still be able to focus bulbs but I have not tried to do that.Not that it will make much difference ?

Good Luck

My 2 Cents worth maybe less

Novice

Post by Novice » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:58 pm

BTT

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic