Fan, distant from radiator

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Phillip
First Name: Phillip
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50230
Board Member Since: 2018

Fan, distant from radiator

Post by Phillip » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:14 pm

I have a 1927 roadster pickup. It has a 1920 engine but it has the 1927 water outlet that is adjustable for the belt. I replaced the fan pulley and bushing with the updated ball bearing and pulley today. The fan is now 2.5 inches from the radiator. Should I put a spacer to get the fan closer to the radiator and how close does the fan need to be to the radiator?
Phillip
Nashville TN

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Fan, distant from radiator

Post by DanTreace » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm

If you used the new alum pulley with the late style fan blades, the distance should be much closer. My 27 fan is 1/2" off the face of the radiator, measuring from the closest cutting edge of the blades.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Post by Jim Sims » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:49 pm

You may have the two row core radiator These were used for a while in 26 or 27. A special longer nose pulley was needed with these radiators.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 pm

I have a 1924 Speedster that I can drive without the fan as long as I am not sitting still. You have a roadster, so I assume you do not really need the fan because you have a light car. The fan will help moving air through the radiator even if it is 2+ inches away. How well does your radiator cool? Are you having cooling problems? If not, just plan a future project to move the fan a little closer.

Topic author
Phillip

Post by Phillip » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:41 pm

As long as I am moving it runs cool. On a hot day with driving around town in mostly stop it gets hot. Cools off when get back on road at about 30 MPH. Sitting still it get hot even when I run the rpms up. I removed the water pump because it leaks and I wanted to try without the pump. Has a recently redone radiator.
Phillip

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 pm

If it doesn’t actually boil, I wouldn’t worry about it

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Phillip,
To paraphrase a historic statement...
"How hot is hot"?
Does the radiator boil over?
I have a '15 Touring with a 4-5 year old Brassworks radiator, and yes..my engine gets "hot" in stop and go driving -with a fan...the engine will cool down as soon as I drive a few minutes about 30 mph.
I have a motometer. The red liquid stays below the small circle in the face while driving....the engine gets "hot" in stop and go traffic - "hot" being the red stuff rises into the little circle almost to the top. I think that's "normal" for me....

How do YOU define hot ?

Topic author
Phillip

Post by Phillip » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 pm

I have a motometer and the red gets all the way to the top and steam would come out the overflow when going slow in low and stopping at red lights on a hot day, it would cool to the lower part of the motometer when I got so I could run about 30 MPH for a few minutes. I also have an infrared thermometer and the reading at the water outlet got up to 240 with steam and water coming out the over flow and that is when I stopped the engine. It was running about 1000 to 1200 RPMs. (???) The last was while running in my shop and I had made sure it had antifreeze and a cooling additive. I am thinking that the fan is too far from the radiator to get enough air to keep it cool when not moving. I plan to install a spacer tomorrow and give it a try.

Phillip

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 am

Phillip: Check to see if your radiator is a old Ford 2 row core, many were used on base model roadsters. They used a longer fan bracket to make up for the thinner core, you should look for one of these and try it. Ron Patterson posted a picture back in a 2015 Forum. I riposted it here if all goes well. Ford went back to the regular radiator as the 2 row only worked OK in cooler northern locations.
Attachments
584145.jpg

Topic author
Phillip

Post by Phillip » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm

The pulley I removed looked like the one on top. The new pulley with ball bearings looks like the bottom. I installed a 2" spacer and boy can you feel the air going into the radiator. With the old pulley you could barely feel the air going into the radiator. I ran it in the shop for about 15 minutes and the temp ranged from about 190 at the rear of the head to 210/230 at the water outlet. At the outlet the temp would go up and down some. Radiator temp about 180. I think I got it whipped just before it whipped me.

PS
The radiator one row of tubes that are flat, 1" wide 18"' long and with 36 tubes. Is this the proper radiator?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic