Rear axle housing freeze plug, any idea why?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Rear axle housing freeze plug, any idea why?

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:28 pm

I did not even pay any attention to it while I was pulling out the bearing sleeves, but someone had installed a freeze/Welch plug into the hole for the sleeve dimple.
IMG_6556.JPG
IMG_6557.JPG

Any ideas as to why someone would have installed these here? The axle was fitted with a set of Watts Seals.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Rear axle housing freeze plug, any idea why?

Post by DanTreace » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 pm

That is a dome shaped plug used when you install 'modern' neoprene seal alum outer caps instead of the Ford felt and cup over the axle housing.

The plug keeps grease ooze of the Hyatt from sneaking around the neoprene o-rings in the modern cap.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Dan is correct. When I fitted the new seals to Henrietta, those plugs would not fit in the holes, so I just left them out and added some extra black silicone sealant.

Allan from down under.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 am

By gum, someone figured out how to get those welch plug monsters into those little holes and expand 'em into place. See the punch marks?
I struggled with those little buggers and now I cannot recall what I did.
I believe I laid them in place and stuffed the modern cover on, over the top. :?
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic