Counterweight opinions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Paul
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Paul
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring, 1909 touring
MTFCA Number: 31791

Counterweight opinions

Post by Michael Paul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am

Good morning!
I'm in the process of assembling my early engine with a 26/27 crankshaft. After reading all of the posts about broken crankshafts, I was interested in opinions about adding counter weights. Do you think it would help protect the crank, in other words less stress?

Have a great day!
Michael Paul

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Counterweight opinions

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:00 am

Balancing is always your friend, using Dunn weights or the likes of, we have been doing for many years with excellent results.

Just my $0.03 worth,

Hank

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by modernbeat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 am

This is one of the reasons the Scat cranks are so popular. New, full diameter journals, and counterbalanced cheeks.
Jason McDaniel

henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Post by henryford2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:59 am

From past experience the 26/27 requires a little more work to correctly "fit" the counter weights to the crank so as to not "tweak" or bend the crank increasing the runout at the flange. Just my humble opinion.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm

If you have not done so, I suggest googling "mtfca; dunn counter weights" or try; "mtfca; counter weights". While using "counter weights" or "counterweights" gets about the same results, there has been a lot posted so lots of reading.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 pm

I do not have a car fitted with such, but highly suspect that the 2 piece transmission shaft offered by one of our Forum participants will go as far or farther than almost any other thing you can do for your crankshaft with respect to keeping it in one piece.

It is a significant undertaking to get the 4th main in line with the block...a task which I believe is either misunderstood or ignored by many builders. This little device appears to be a remarkable improvement in design which allows the crank to run unfettered to a flailing transmission.

I am not in any way associated with this product, but feel that in a discussion regarding trying to eliminate breakage of a crank shaft, the stresses that can be imparted to a crankshaft by a transmission that is improperly aligned are significant and anyone doing this work should be aware of that. Anything that can relieve the crank of stress should be a valid option for discussion.

FWIW
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Scott
Thank you for the kind words regarding the “floating transmission shaft “(my invention)
I also believe in counterweights for the T crank. But I will qualify about this, for people like me with the patience and skills, bolt on Dunn weights are a great cheap solution. But I recognize that I am probably a exception. Like for me using a A crank is a good cheap solution.
For the others the Scat crank probably makes sense.
So I will respect whatever way you go (as long as you respect my methods too).
Either way the floating transmission shaft has proven beneficial!

Topic author
Michael Paul
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Paul
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring, 1909 touring
MTFCA Number: 31791

Post by Michael Paul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for the input. The 3 piece transmission shaft sounds like a great idea...

Erik Barrett did the Babbitt work, as part of the job he straightens the pan so the fourth main lines up perfectly. In fact he won't do your bearing unless he straightens your pan!
Great machinist, I highly recommend him!

I guess I'm being a little to cautious. I plan on driving the wheels off the car once it's back on the road. Open valve motors are hard to come by, and expensive to replace. I have a running 1916 engine, maybe I should use that for my driver, and save the early one for the dog and pony show weekends.

Thanks Mike

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Some years ago a guy did a great study on how much the back of the transmission moved around from the force applied to the transmission pedals. He measured significant deflection (irrespective of the pan being straightened (which I fully endorse))relative to the engine block.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I ran a SCAT, not because I was worried about breaking a crank, but because I wanted
a well balanced, smooth running T engine. Henry designed and built these things for
bad roads, or no roads at all. The worst roads we drive on today are leaps and bounds
better than anything these things drove on when new. As such, the running of any steady,
high rpm driving just never happened. Today, we need to consider this change when running
and building a T engine, IF you plan to drive it much out side of parade speeds.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:03 pm

I'd like to restate my comment above about the difficulty to align the 4th main (and am surprised no one corrected me). It isn't so much the 4th main alignment (with the straightened pan) as I MEANT to say "getting the transmission output shaft axis aligned with the crank axis, and ensuring all of the drums rotate concentrically about that axis". Lots more words, but is really what I meant. Les' 2 piece shaft goes a long way toward taking out the stress that mis-aligned parts can induce.

And Les, I am with you. My first experience with Dunn counterweights scared the daylights out of me just out of general principle, but they do work...I doubt that many folks using them actually follow up with balancing them, though they should be. The engine I saw with them was a very smooth performer.

Still with regards to broken crankshafts, anything that reduces stress, like Les' transmission shaft, or is designed to minimize the deleterious effects of stress like the SCAT crank, any of these options is a good choice. It's just about money $$.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

IMHO, probably the major cause of broken cranks in a 'non-souped up' engine is a misaligned 4th main and then line boring of mains not properly done 'in line' (it is scary how many 'professionals' can't get that right!).
If all mains don't line up 'square' the crank flexes just a bit = stress fractures = broken crank. Balancing can help but won't overcome the alignment issues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic