Differential Leak.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Differential Leak.

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi, My 12 rivet differential leaks slowly at the two lower most bolts. A few drops a week. See picture. The fluid level was down as expected when I opened the filler bolt so it isn't communicating with the engine oil. The fill hole does not appear to be leaking. How much torque should the bolts be? I did find the bolts loose a month ago and tightened them but it is still leaking. Is there a no-drama way of fixing this? I took the whole thing apart to replace the thrust washers. I would rather not have to take the whole thing apart again to fix this. It hasn't leaked until about 6 months ago.

-- IV
Attachments
IMG_0159.jpg

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Differential Leak.

Post by ivaldes1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:57 pm

This differential did not leak for about 2 years so is it normal for them to start leaking? -- IV

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 pm

For a few drops a week, I would slide a butter tub under it to catch the drips and top off the level a couple of times a year. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm

At least you got two years out of it before it leaked Ignacio! :)
Mine leaked right away. :oops: Smooth, clean surfaces with the dings and high spots brought down with a file...
I need to do this yet: Perhaps clean the bottom mating surfaces with thinner, dry it and smear on some ultra black.
Good reminder tho! I need to check the fluid level before driving it/after sealing it. Whichever comes first.
Snug.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic