eBay staring to collect sales tax

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sparknwire
First Name: RJ
Last Name: Lucyszyn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Sparknwire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:44 pm

Oct 1,2019 all online sales like eBay, mercari and any other online sites will now start collecting sales tax on purchased items. So much for selling on eBay.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Re: eBay staring to collect sales tax

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 am

There is no reason for eBay or any other vendor to be exempt from collecting sales tax. This should have been done years ago.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm

It stinks. To put it nicely.
Especialy buying USED items that have already been taxed when new.
And I think there is a threshhold of the amount of sales.It has to be over a certain amount of total sales before the seller has to collect taxes.Someone like myself selling all of a couple hundred bucks a year are not affected from what I understand.It is folks that sell large amounts competing with brick and mortar stores.
I have yet to understand why I should pay sales tax to a state that I have no representation in either.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
Sparknwire
First Name: RJ
Last Name: Lucyszyn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Sparknwire » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:13 pm

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.
Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 am

tdump wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm
It stinks. To put it nicely.
I have yet to understand why I should pay sales tax to a state that I have no representation in either.
The last time I was in Carolina they charged me state sales tax on some rope I bought. I don't live or vote in Carolina, and I have no representation in Carolina, should I have to pay their state sales tax?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 pm

The way i look at it no,you shouldn't.Or it should be the same rate as your state and sent to your state.
Around here the countys have a little extra tacked onto the tax rate.And the parts house ask for my zip code after the price was quoted and it went up 2 cents because my countys tax was higher.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 am

So when I buy rope in Carolina the vendor should ask my zip code and then collect state and local taxes for my state and county and the tax money should be sent to my state and county?

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:59 am

I seldom buy on E-bay and sell even less often. If they make it harder to do either, I'll just not. Like Mack, I do have a problem with charging tax on used items that have already had tax paid on them.

So let's say I buy something from you face to face, not E-bay. Say, maybe Model T part. Are you gonna collect sales tax and turn it in to the appropriate authority? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 am

So if you buy a used item from an antique shop where someone has it on consignment, no sales tax should be charged?

Ebay is an on-line shop, lots of people buy and sell their stuff in the shop, and apparently items sold in that shop are taxable.

I have heard that eBay will only collect the tax if the seller meets a certain threshold of sales. That doesn't make sense to me, either it is taxable, or it is not.

Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I know that when I was in high school and again in college, I worked in a hardware store. We did not charge tax on a lot of items that today, seemed to be taxed. Most relevant to this discussion was used items that were being resold, mostly gas heaters, but also the occasional lawn mower.

Other non taxable items included garden seed, fertilizer for gardens, motor oil, vegetable plants, and newspapers. Grass seed, flower seed, flower plants, and fertilizer for lawns were taxed. We were to ask, but few ever admitted the fertilizer was going on the lawn.

tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm

I know some may think I am acting like a heathen when I question paying taxes on used items or to states other than my own.But tax money is public money and the public that lives in 1 state can not have a say in what is paid elsewhere.
So there should be something to make sure there is no taxation without representation.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm

There is an excellent reason why some retailers do not collect sales tax for out of state sales: Their state does not require it

The October 1 date is the date that a number of states have instituted laws governing the collection of sales taxes where they had not previously, and in instances, exempt small sales from collection

Typically, sales across state lines relied on Economic Nexus to determine if sales tax was collected by a business. These new rules also include Marketplace Facilitator Requirements. Even at that, usually sales must exceed $100,000 for that to have effect, though a few states have higher/lower thresholds.

That's why your kid is not collecting sales tax on their lemonade, and why your great Uncle's walker is not taxed at the garage sale, though there are obviously those who clearly believe it should.

For those feeling overly guilty about not paying tax on their out of state internet purchases, you have likely overlooked the part where if your state collects tax, you must report each and every such internet purchase and file and pay a "use tax". I'm sure no one here has failed to file their year end report, right?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Hal

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:51 am

Insert snickering emoji here.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am

I gave up on FeeBay...
Otherwise, most of my buying enjoys “tax exempt” status for resale. ;)

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 am

Who doesn't enjoy paying more taxes ?

Given the latest trend of what our taxes get used for .....

Youze people talk like you have something better to do with your money !

:roll:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:47 am

So lets see I pay taxes for the privelage of working to make money. If I want to spend some of my taxed money I get taxed. However if I save it and make interest then I get taxed on that. Of course depending where you live you get taxed for living there, in many states double.

Heres an idea (govt), lets take money from someone when they buy something new like a car. Then how about if they want to use it we take money from them again. Of course to use it they need gas so lets take some of that money. Now if they want to go faster lets make special roads and charge them for that as well. If they are doing well off they will sell their car to someone else and even though we collected money when it was first sold lets collect money from the new owner again.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 am

tdump wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm
I know some may think I am acting like a heathen when I question paying taxes on used items or to states other than my own.But tax money is public money and the public that lives in 1 state can not have a say in what is paid elsewhere.
So there should be something to make sure there is no taxation without representation.
So you agree that Washington DC should have two senators and a congressman?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Simple
Just amend the Constitution
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TheresaNicola
First Name: Theresa
Last Name: Nicola

Post by TheresaNicola » Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 pm

I understand how frustrating it can be when new regulations impact your selling experience on a platform. However, I think it's important to remember that sales tax is a necessary part of doing business and is required by law. While it may add an extra step to the selling process, it's important to remember that this change applies to all online sales platforms, not just eBay. Ultimately, it's a small price to pay to ensure compliance with tax regulations and avoid any legal issues down the line. And if you think calculating sales tax is a problem, you can check stub maker online. Anyway, good luck and all the best.
Last edited by TheresaNicola on Mon May 15, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed May 10, 2023 10:14 pm

Just joined today ….

IMG_5658.jpeg

Why are you bumping an eBay
sales tax thread from October of 2019 ?

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

tdump

Post by tdump » Thu May 11, 2023 8:32 am

It is something to bear in mind that there is action being taken in Dc in regards to reversing this . Rather it is successful is still to be determined.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic