How much time to pull an engine?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

How much time to pull an engine?

Post by It's Bill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:21 pm

I am up against the clock. I am in the middle of a major building project plus a car sale, yet am committed to pull and deliver an engine to Hershey on the 9th. I need to remove the firewall and windshield, steering column, engine pans, radiator, headlights and floorboards before pulling the engine out. Realistically, how many hours should I allocate to pulling and palletizing this engine?

Cheers, Bill

PS. I will be working alone on this.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: How much time to pull an engine?

Post by Humblej » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:39 pm

1/2 day job, you may not have to remove as much as you think, depending on the year. All the black cars I have done I removed just the hood, radiator, and floor boards. Do not know about the brass cars.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Don’t forget to disconnect the wishbone from the pan. Don’t ask me why I am telling you this. Lol Frank

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 pm

I pulled the engine on my 1912 I pulled all the thing you listed my engine was hanging on the hook 4.5 hours 2 more hours it was stripped to a bare block

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 pm

If your on a time frame to pull and palletize the engine I would get what you need to do it before you attempt the job. Find or build a good pallet and have it ready to use. And do remember to change the oil. When you get in a hurry things get forgotten. Been there and done that. I would allow a good half day or a little more. If your close to a shipping terminal they may have a good pallet they will give you. They usually just throw them away.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Meant to say to drain the oil in the above post! Good luck.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 pm

The old Ford book with time studies say you can pull it in 45 minutes, installation is 1 1/4 hours, best I have done is two hours, I guess I lost money on the Ford Jobber!

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:28 pm

I think it depends......i was just reading this when Joe replied. Here’s my take. It would take me about a week, but I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I had a 27 roadster about 6-8 years ago. Just got it, came to me with a terrible noise when stopping. ( go figure, seller didn’t mention that ) Joe Bell showed up about 10am, diagnosed the problem, had the motor out and torn down enough to know for sure what was wrong........ no gasket set here, so he drove back home( 1 1/2 hours round trip , not worrying about speeding tickets) back here with a gasket set, and new transmission tailshaft. Trans taken apart, new tail-shaft installed, motor back together, back in the car, car looks like when he got there at 10 am, and he was on his way home about 3pm..... yes, he goofed off a bit too. He is getting older, maybe he’s slowing down now.
So, I guess it depends

Pops
First Name: David
Last Name: Houston
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13,14,19,21,&etc
MTFCA Number: 32227
MTFCI Number: 23901

Post by Pops » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Hello I can pull the engine/transmission in my 1919 rd in about 2 hours, by my lonesome, that is drive in into the shop and have the engine/transmission on the engine stand in that time. It takes me about 5 hours to reinstall it with a little help.If I was younger{not72} I could probably beat that time. The hardest part is the u-joint&wood blocks on the install.(Try doing an engine R&R on a '31 Chrysler)
Go for it& enjoy-davids---Have a good day&Take care---

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 pm

Couple hours. And it sounds like you are removing a LOT of stuff you don't have to to pull the motor, like the firewall, windshield, steering column and engine pans (??) - is the car being stripped to sell parts, because these don't come out for a straight motor pull.

Couple hours to get out, another maybe 1-2 to pallet and crate it - say half a day. Just have everything ready to go.

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks. It is a 1911, and heading in Mr. Bell's direction. Think I will skip the idiot box for a few evenings! Cheers, Bill

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:30 am

Too bad you didn't indicate the year of the car in the original post!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

I suspect your 1911 may be like my 1915 in that I don't have to remove the firewall and windshield, but I do have to raise the front of the body to slide the engine ears out. All that takes is removing the front four body-to-frame bolts and loosening the back two. I disconnect the steering column and just pull it back with the wheel on the seat. Yes, the engine pans should come out. I don't have transmission pans, but I expect those do too if you have them.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:01 pm

It depends a lot on your shop, your tools, your help, your energy level and your spot on the Model T Experience scale. With a good engine hoist, an air ratchet, a friend to help that knows what he's doing and the ability to find the tool you need in a minute or two instead of an Antarctic Expedition through every vehicle, the back shop, the pile of tools you never put away last time and the stuff you loaned your nephew that you are not sure he ever brought back -- somewhere between a couple hours and a couple days.

Putting it back in is about the same deal. If you know where every bolt goes without trying it in two or three different places and not forgetting how it goes together -- two beers, a hot dog, one trip to the hardware store, several phone calls and checking the forum and emails every half hour to see if anything you need to read has been posted --- somewhere between three hours and three days.

My biggest problem is doing what needs to be done under the car. Two minutes to get under it, two hours to get back out, stand up, go back to get the tool I left under it and remember what it was needed doing. More or less.

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:02 pm

My wife and I pulled our 26 Roadster engine in a couple hours start to finish. Pulled radiator & floorboards to access engine.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Stan has been watching me. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:10 pm

If it was mine- pull the windshield, headlights and radiator. Disconnect the drag link. Unbolt the firewall from the body and unbolt the firewall brackets and the lower steering bracket from the frame. Pull the firewall, coilbox and steering column as one unit. Unbolt the front radius rod, ball cap bolts and engine mount bolts. At that point everything is out of the way for the engine to be lifted out. Nothing gets scratched or banged up. Good luck!!

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Take your time. My cousin and I installed the engine in the TT in a couple hours. Pushing back on the engine, my foot slipped on the floor and I came down on the water outlet and broke a rib. Made the rest of the job a little painfull.

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Great advice, I will begin in the morning. Sounds like I should take lots of photos first. I have had the radiator out and the wishbone out before, plus the rear out, so some of this will be familiar territory. But I sure appreciate the tips, and even though I don't know anybody like that, I liked Stan's comments very much. :D

art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Post by art32mor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Depending on the year and condiont of the car
Usyaly i get engine out 2 hours by myself

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic