Early Bolt Trivia

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Early Bolt Trivia

Post by Original Smith » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:26 pm

I needed a bolt today to attach the muffler to the frame for a 1915 I just bought. I found one, and I've seen this before too. First it has a rounded shank, as most early bolts do, and the hole is there for the cotter pin, but here is what I saw today, and have seen before too. There is a very, very slight notch on the top of the bolt head, all the way across, that lines up with the cotter pin hole. Is this something Ford did to assist the assembly line workers to install the cotter pin? Not so much for this application, but for others where a castle nut was used. Castle nuts were not used for this particular application, but they still used a plain nut with a cotter pin through the bolt.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Re: Early Bolt Trivia

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I don't believe that Ford ever did this but it was commonly done by owners and garages to aid in getting that pesky cotter pin hole to line up, and not have it be half a day's project for the horse-bound.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 am

I have to be with R V on this one. I have seen bolts like that, but never ones that I believed to have been originally from a model T. I have tried for many years to hoard original model T nuts and bolts and use them on my Ts. One never knows what may have been done fifty or so years earlier, but I have personally removed many hundreds of bolts from chassis and major components, and can't recall seeing such a mark on anything I thought may have been original. I would wonder if maybe Ford did that on some of the first few years of model Ts, and maybe a few bolts carried over one way or another?

I do find the "bolt with a cotter-pin hole but with a non-castle nut " for the nut, yet a cotter pin anyway interesting. I may just change to that on my '15!

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am

I do that trick myself, but never to original bolts. Maybe I was a mechanic in a previous life, when those bolts were just bolts?

Cheers, Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic