Tranny drum de-glasing?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jed
First Name: Jed
Last Name: Welsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster pick-up

Tranny drum de-glasing?

Post by Jed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 pm

When re-installing transmission bands that have new linings, is there any need to de-glaze the drums?

While we have the hogs head off, Is there anything else that need to be looked at?

Anything to watch out for when installing the bands? Besides dropping something into the tranny case. We already dropped the shift knob off the Ruckstel in there. And yes, it is possible to drop something that big into the transmission through the inspection cover.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Tranny drum de-glasing?

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Jed

what I am about to type is in no way meant to demean or belittle your abilities or desire to do the best job possible. The question you are asking leads me to believe that your best course of action is to purchase the MTFCA Transmission Repair book and read it. It may save you thousands of dollars down the road.

From how to treat the drums, or not, to proper band lining installation, to forming/straightening bands, there is a wealth of information to be had. There is basically one way to redo a transmission and ensure success and a million ways to put the job in peril and risk disaster down the road. I don't say this as hyperbole. Worn out pedal supports, improperly lined bands, etc, and you are asking for big trouble. The manual covers it all.

No matter how well meaning people are, and there will be a ton that weigh in on this...there is NO way ANYONE but you will really know how this job was done, so no amount of questioning you will result in your being fully advised by a bunch of strangers with varying abilities and experience.

Buy the book. Satisfy yourself that you have been given the answers, and THEN ask the forum for clarifications if you need them.

If you REALLY don't wish to expand your library, you will find pointers on this link that are probably the final word on numerous aspects of transmission rebuilding. One caveat: if you wish to treat your drums as outlined in this link, you need to be REAL sure you need to, and REALLY know what you are doing or will potentially make matters worse for yourself.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1375578307

Best of luck with your project
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Jed
First Name: Jed
Last Name: Welsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster pick-up

Post by Jed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Thank you for the quick and informative reply.

We do NOT plan to rebuild the transmission. We are only changing the linings on the bands. Is there anything we can do while the hogs head is off to help insure the bands work as well as we can make them?

We only took the bands off because we dropped the knob to the Ruckstel shifter into the inspection hole and it went all the way to the bottom. We could not even find the shift knob until we removed the bands.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Bands must be ROUNDROUNDROUND!
Linings should be installed like this: with about 1/4" of lining projecting past all metal parts of band: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1384450759 see Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 09:15 am. He has done it right.
Pedal supports and low-speed notch should be checked and renewed as necessary in the hog's head, to get maximum clamping of the bands to ensure no slipping: https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1843 and http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1473096900 particularly see Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 01:20 pm

this is a pretty good tutorial on what you want to check and how to go about getting 'er done.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:08 am

Nice links Scott! Thanks for bringing them up. :)
I used Toon's re-lining notions and found them to be very good for me too!
Jed, I sat down with the fresh bands, in my chair, with another good drum on my lap.
I closed the gap with my hands and oh my! My bands were so very far from round! Yuck. High spots were all over. Nature of the beast or my riveting techniques? Don't know for certain.
I sat and tweaked and tweaked the fresh bands until they were round to fit the drum very nicely.
It took just a very short evening. Next day was gentle install. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic