New Gas Tank...Rust?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

New Gas Tank...Rust?

Post by Bill Everett » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Soon we will begin the task of lifting the body off the frame and putting the new round gas tank in place.

I'm wide open to suggestions to prevent rust forming in this new tank...

Does non-ethanol gas pose a smaller chance of rust forming, or is it and ethanol gas equal in that regard?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: New Gas Tank...Rust?

Post by Allan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Bill, just steer clear of ethanol and you should be right. Ethanol absorbs water and water is needed to propagate rust.

Allan from down under.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm

And store your car with a FULL tank of ethanol-free fuel to ward off condensation

Not a problem where I live now, but was a significant deal when I was in FL. I suspect you're not a whole lot drier than FL, I am guessing.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 am

Has anyone tried using 2 cycle chainsaw oil? You could mix it half the rate or less. If it protects the cylinder of a chainsaw, would it not coat the inside of the tank?

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Why don't you preemptively treat the inside of your tank with a sloshing sealer such as PQR15? After cleaning my original tank I treated it and it has worked well. No exposed metal means no rust :-)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm

There have been many threads about tank rust attributed to ethanol gas and other factors. "When exposed to air, ethanol will pull moisture out of that air and into whatever fuel it's blended with. If the ethanol fuel pulls too much water out of the air, phase separation occurs - the ethanol comes out of solution with the gasoline. Essentially, the mixture breaks apart. When this happens, it destroys the quality of that gasoline and strips away a good amount of the octane rating of that fuel. You end up with poor quality gasoline and a layer of water and gasoline in the bottom of your fuel tank that can damage your engine if it’s sucked up into the combustion chamber by your fuel line." SO it is only a problem when too much moisture is pulled out of the air. So where does the moisture come from - your vented gas cap - which must be vented. Any moisture in your tank will condense on the inside walls where there is no gasoline. You probably see condensation right at home every day. If you wear glasses and go from a cold, air-conditioned room to outside on a humid day, the lenses fog up as small water droplets coat the surface via condensation. People buy coasters to keep condensed water from dripping off their chilled drink glass onto their coffee tables. Condensation is responsible for the water covering the inside of a window on a cold day (unless you are lucky enough to have double-paned windows that keep the inside pane relatively warm) and for the moisture on the inside of car windows, especially after people have been exhaling moist air. All of these are examples of water leaving the vapor state in the warm air and condensing into liquid as it is cools. So the inside of your tank is no exception. So its best to keep a full tank of gas, any type, because when here is no air there is no moisture. AND if you recall the sediment bulb is design to allow for the crud (water included) on the bottom of the tank to be exorcised via the petcock on the bottom of the potato. :twisted:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic