I Miss the Ol' Timers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

I Miss the Ol' Timers

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Not talking about original Model T Ford ignition "timers",....I mean I miss some of the ol' timers that used to post on the forum! Anybody else feel that way too? What ever happened to guys like Ray Elkins, Seth Harbuck, Ken Kopsky, Hap Tucker, Mike Walker, the Chaffins, and a bunch more I can't think of right now! I know that some have had health issues, or even passed on, or, are posting on another forum(s), but I'm wondering if maybe if some of us are still connected with some of those old names we used to see on this forum (or the old version of this forum) could contact them and mention that they are sorely missed on this forum, we might get them back. Does that make sense? I think some of those guys are still around, but with the advent of the new forum, maybe they just got out of the habit of posting here. If anybody knows of such a person and has contact with them, maybe just a gentle "hint" that we miss them and their "input" and it might be that all it would take to get them back would be to let them know that they are missed here on the forum. One of the things that made me think of this was when somebody just asked about "Model K Rob" whom we've heard little from of late. Anyway,.....just a thought,.....harold

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: I Miss the Ol' Timers

Post by DHort » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Seth is gone, Hap, Mike, and Chaffins are still here. You must be reading the wrong posts.

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 pm

I agree that most are missed & indeed some have passed but there have been others asked to leave or were banned. I think that’s the word subtly used. That insult to them has prevented them from coming back as contributors to this site. I do miss the interactions of those forum friends even if it got heated a bit. It was the passion for the T & hobby. Maybe we’ve become soft and thin skinned to the point that any challenge becomes so egregious to our sensibilities that instead of standing our ground we go to the powers that be to swiftly settle a perceived indignation. Sooner than you think, it has/will affect interaction and contributions and if you pay close attention you see the number of thread contributions waning. “And just like that it stopped.”

I am reminded of stories of great camaraderie where people were brought together because of a common cause though sometimes they fought about how to achieve a goal none the less they still had that common goal.

Now in my dotage I realize the simply truth of this quote,
“Our colors fade for lack of wearers.”

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Ya ain't gonna git rid of me...

: ^ )

Keith

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 pm

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 pm

It’s posts from Hap and others that has made us all feel like we’re part of family.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am

Harold, if you go to the facebook page you will probably find more activity. Easier to post over there.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:05 am

Part of it may be that on a couple threads I just checked there were 38 "guests" and only six names.
I dunno, I pay my dues and post some but I think I'm like a lot of the old guys, not much on
here any more and not much interested in arguing.
Hard to say.
All you have to do is look back at some of the old forums to see how many guys that used to post no longer do.

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:00 am

I shared a quite long conversation with Wally Szumowski very recently. He is now 87 and still lives in his home but his dear wife is in intensive care yet may be able to join him again with help.
Having been here on the forum for many years I have gotten to know a lot of us as camaraderie and characters. I am grateful to have "known" several whom have left us but shared unselfishly while here. We have been blessed with a good group of well intentioned people that come with a great variety of approaches to a task. Not all are great or correct. It is important to note that this membership and brotherhood Is coming from the roots of the children of the pioneers that were here when our car was new.
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 am

Keith, “I’m with you fellas!”
I’m in agreement.

rickg
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Goelz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Fordor, 1926 Coupe, 1923 popcorn Truck
MTFCA Number: 24965

Post by rickg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 pm

The key phrase is "old" I am almost 80 and I know of several others in this age group, ailments and other things keep us off the forum, I didn't post for almost two years because of knee problems. I removed the engine from my 24 to repair a loose rod and changed the cam. a friend came over and helped install the engine and I have been putting it back together slowly, there are a lot of things going on when you reach the "old timer" status and this new forum was not the easiest to get on. I have only been posting since 2004 and there are a lot who have been here a lot longer.

Rick

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Some of the guys Harold mentioned are still with us, but several others have left for the worst reason. A few that I miss are Ralph Ricks, John Berch, Jack Daron, Willie Cordes, and Bruce McCalley.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

The biggest problem I have with old people is they often die. And the biggest
problem I have with old car people is that they are often old. My part in this is
I never ask them ALL the questions that I wish I had while they were still here to
ask. And, of course, I miss them.

Age often begets wisdom, and the loss of that seasoned wisdom and learning is
the greatest loss of all. And, of course, the characters that oldtimers often are !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Okay, you want "Ol' Timers," here are "Ol' Timers"!! :D

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/112549.html

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Well said B Burger......N.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Burger, how does an old person often die? I'm getting to that stage but plan on only doing it once.

You are absolutely right about asking questions of them. So much is lost because we didn't take the time or interest when the opportunities were there. It's not all our fault though. Often we just don't know what we don't know, and asking the question is beyond us.

Allan from down under.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks, Neil. For reasons I will never understand, I took a deep fascination with old
stuff at a very young age. And what better way to learn about and find old stuff, than
to hang around with old timers ! Trouble is, this mortality thing has an inevitable outcome
that sorta rains on the parade, over the long haul.

I tend to look at death in terms of a life, well lived, as a result. While some go too soon,
the kind of oldtimer friends I have had are people I want to emulate, for being real, for being
square dealers, and straight talkers, and knowing that what is good always trumps what is new.
All bits of wisdom I learned from old timers.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Sam_Mendenhall
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Mendenhall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 462
MTFCI Number: 15031

Post by Sam_Mendenhall » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 pm

I haven't heard anything from Richard Wolfe who was living in Florida. Anyone heard from him, he used to be a regular poster.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Post by MWalker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 am

Hey, Harold -- I'm still hanging around, just don't post as much as I used to. I have learned over the years that if I don't answer someone's question, someone else will. That saves me a lot of time. I was away from home for about 4 weeks and just got back, so there was no forum use for me at all during that time. I'm honored that you missed me though. :)

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 am

But, then again, we’re extremely fortunate in that tons of Model T information has been published and made available over the years thanks to Bruce, Hugo, uncle Jack, et al. In other marques of which I’ve restored there’s absolutely no printed information to help the restorer and Merle Simonsma of early Maxwell fame and Bill Cuthbert of early Hupmobile knowledge are still with us - although octogenarians.... But, yes; I also miss the fellowship of the oldtimers that used to share techniques and insight here and in person.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:19 pm

As stated above, some have left us. Some have passed on from this life, some have diminished memory. Some have quit the Model T hobby. Others have left in a snit and started a new forum on "facebook". Some post on both forums. I don't have a "smart" phone and only use my old PC and only time I look at facebook is when my wife calls it to my attention, but I don't post on facebook. Model T people are the next best people I know. Second only to my friends at church. Somewhere among the two are most of my family members friends and neighbors.
Anyway, I like to read what others have to say, and also try to provide answers to questions. I have probably learned more from forum members than any advice I have given over the years.
Norm

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

I began a reply to this thread numerous times but ended up using the delete key.
Some of the comments would upset a few of the thin skinned or only Model T people and others were (in my opinion) too honest.

Now --- I just need to remember what this thread was about.

OH YA !! I do miss the old times, many of the people, and fun conversations.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:58 am

Just go on a tour sometime. We're all over the place!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic