Need help with transmission repair

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Illinois
First Name: John
Last Name: Burgett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29590

Need help with transmission repair

Post by John Illinois » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I have been sorting out my 24 and the main problem is the transmission. The low pedal is worn out too bad to adjust. Someone put a spring from frame to pedal To pull it back and I think the notch and support are worn out.

High works using the hand lever,low works with pedal,reverse and brake work. The free neutral drags. The engine slows but does not stop in neutral. With one wheel jacked up, I can turn the wheel by hand in neutral.I can push it around the shop.

My question is,if I have to take the transmission cover off to fix the pedal problems,would I be better off to also pull the engine and check the clutch at the same time. This is my second T and my other one seemed to have less drag in neutral.

Any ideas would be welcome.
07F90734-DC38-4FCC-8BB9-E6BF0B617267.jpeg

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Need help with transmission repair

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 pm

If you have a copy of the Service Manual, go through the steps of adjusting your clutch section, the linkage & finally the bands - this should remedy most of the issues you are experiencing.

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:46 pm

It also appears that your pedals could be bent from what would be the stock configuration - reverse should stand proud to the rear and the brake seems to be well forward of where it should be.

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:52 pm

I have the service manual. The picture may be misleading. The brake and reverse pedal are in the correct place. The clutch pedal is pulled back as there is no stop for it to catch on.
I think the the notch must be worn. I will have to take it apart to see. It is hard to adjust it because the entire pedal and link are worn out.

My main concern is if I should remove and check the clutch discs as there is quite a bit of drag when it is in neutral with the hand lever. Do worn discs make the neutral drag?

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:48 pm

John I am no expert having only seriously been in my transmission once for the first time this month. However, I would suspect that it would be the bands as the issue and not the clutch or at least I would suspect the bands first. First step would be to open the inspection hatch and take a look. Send some pictures to this thread please.

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 am

Do worn discs make the neutral drag?

No. If they had any influence at all on drag, I would expect them to reduce it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the responses. The bands are probably worn,but as I mentioned, they all work. Being able to pull the low pedal back to the end of the floorboard slot is what puzzles me.I will post pictures when I get into it.

Steve,what should I look for to reduce clutch drag. The car sat for a long time. Maybe congealed oil? One thing, the engine starts easily and runs well.
The transmission does not make noise.

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 am

Clutch drag is common before the oil warms up. That's why starting a cold engine may be easier with one rear wheel jacked off the floor. Proper adjustment of the pedal linkage and the clutch fingers should reduce it to a minimum. See pages 246-248.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 am

With the parking brake in neutral position on a level surface, Turn the hand crank. The car should not move when cranking. Then push the car in neutral. The engine should not turn when in neutral. (note, it might creep when the engine is cold, but at running temperature, should not creep).
Take off the inspection plate from the transmission being careful not to drop anything in. The key should be out and anything else which could drop in should be away from the transmission. Inspect the bands. The ears should be pushed apart by the spring when in neutral or high gear. Also rotate the engine and inspect the drums all the way around. They should not have visible cracks. Now push one pedal at a time. The band should start to compress within one inch of forward movement and compress the band until one inch above the floorboard. The band should be completely tight around the drum when one inch above the floor.

An indication of excessive wear in the cam or notch would be that the pedal moves freely until it is close to the floor and then begins to compress the band. When you have this much wear, you will have to tighten the band so much that it will drag when in neutral and completely compress the band when the pedal is below the floorboard.

If all those conditions are correct you will not need to replace the notch or cam, but work on the adjustment of the link between the low pedal and clutch arm. See attachment.
One thing which will cause the clutch pedal to stick down is if the adjustment is too loose and the link goes over center. Last thing to check would be the finger adjustment. If you can get a good solid high gear, you should not need to adjust them. When in high gear, the spring length should be 2 inches.
Free Neutral.jpg

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Steve and Norman thank you for the suggestions and information. I tested the neutral with a push and crank and it is good.
I thought the clutch pedal arm had too much wear to adjust,but I followed the rule “play towards front “and it now has neutral
and low gear. Next I will look at the bands and springs.

John
Last edited by John Illinois on Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Steve ,Norman and all who posted thank you for your help and suggestions. I tested the neutral by pushing and cranking and it works fine.
I thought the low pedal and link were too worn to set,but I followed the “play forword” rule and it now works. I have neutral and low gear. Next I will check bands and springs. I was looking at my T tools and noticed my band wrench with a long piece of safety wire on it.

John

Oops double post

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 pm

The spring of which I was referring was the clutch spring. The large spring toward the rear of the transmission. If you do anything other than tighten the band adjustments, be sure to stuff rags into the transmission to stop any nut or washer which might accidently drop in. The springs between the band ears are strong and if you loosen the nut when you get to the end of the thread it will suddenly pop off the nut and washer. So be careful. If your low, reverse and brake are working you might not to do anything to those springs.

Note, if the hand lever is all the way forward, the transmission should shift into high when you release the low pedal. Be sure to check the bolt on the clutch lever at the side of the transmission. It should clear the cam on the cross shaft when the lever is all the way forward. If not, perhaps something is bent. or something is preventing the hand lever from being moved all the way forward. Another thing to check is whether the pedal shaft is scraping the floorboard. The pedal moves to the right when you depress it and sometimes it is not touching the floorboard, but scrapes when you push it down. Then it will stick down until you pull it back. In that case, remove some wood from that side of the floorboard.
One other thing which sometimes keeps the pedal from coming all the way back to high is if the brake rods are adjusted too long. When this occurs, they will push forward on the lever at the bottom which will in turn move the hand lever backward and cause the clutch lever bolt to contact the cam when you shift to high preventing it from going all the way into high. The rods should be adjusted so that with the hand lever all the way forward and the brake rods pushed all the way back, you should be able to put the clevis pins in without bending or forcing the rods. After you make adjustment to the rods be sure to check that both rear wheels stop equally when you pull on the parking brake.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic