Don't you love it when?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Don't you love it when?

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Your motor blows up, it's a total loss including a cracked block (probably been there a long time) and you don't know what to do. So, getting creative, you contact "that random guy who gave you his number in the parking lot when he saw your T" and buy all 5 of his dads model T cars that are all taken apart. Bring them all home and work really, really hard to convince your wife that "honestly, this time I'm not insane," and then your friends rally (again) to get you back on the road.

And you take your time, and build it right. And then, one day after many late nights, dozens of USPS boxes and scuffed knuckles and hoards of "grubbies" that plague your wife's washing machine, you finally end up at this stage:
IMG_1530.jpeg
This is the one time I can actually enjoy watching paint dry.

A HUGE shout-out goes to Erik Barrett at Rumble Seat Garage and Robert Weitzel. And to Steve Tomaso for the Jahn's pistons. I may have turned the wrench a lot more this time but their knowledge and generosity know no bounds.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Don't you love it when?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Loo-ooking Goo-ood!
My fingers are crossed!

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:44 am

We will all be looking forward a video of your first startup!!

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:10 am

Love this! Thanks for posting this Jeff!

Matt

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:51 am

I am glad to have been involved with getting this model T back on the road. That’s what we are about at Rumble Seat Garage. Jeff is a great T hobbyist and so much more. He gave up racing insanely fast Porsche race cars for this and I can say he has embraced our love of these cars to the fullest.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 am

Amen, Ditto, and All of the Above! Very Happy for you Jeff.

Super Folks in the Hobby! Helping one another is 50 percent of the Hobby.

All the Best,

Hank

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 am

I was on a tour earlier this year with Jeff, and I must admit it's good to see someone as fired up as this guy. We need more of them in this hobby.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am

Original Smith wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 am
I was on a tour earlier this year with Jeff, and I must admit it's good to see someone as fired up as this guy. We need more of them in this hobby.
Passion rules! I've never been as into a hobby like this as much as I am with these cars. Im glad I got the Porsche's and go-fast racing out of my system before I turned 50. Now I can take life in the slow lane with a grin from ear to ear!

I'm headed up to Erik's again in a few min to help Robert get his new racer ready for next weekend. I'm on wiring all day. Was it the red or green wire that goes to the + post? I'm not even going to tell him I'm red-green color blind :lol:

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:21 pm

You nailed it Jeff. Im the same way with the T's as well as the go fast machines. I spent the biggest share of today with the 26 on the road to somewhere. Life in the slow lane with a smile is where its at! Glad to hear your about to hit the road again. There are good people in this hobby and great friends.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Hey there Admin Jeff! If you can't remember the "standard codes", you are not alone. The real problem however is that there are several different electrical codes with differing standards for color coding. I worked in communications systems contracting much of my life, and keeping track of the required codes was one of the hardest parts of it. In electrical codes, white is neutral, red or black, also blue and purple along with a few others are "hot", sometimes erroneously called positive. In basic electrical, green is ALWAYS "ground" (which is really not the same as "neutral")! Unfortunately, a lot of wiring today is ground and neutral bonded together. While there are engineering and theoretical considerations in favor of doing this under some conditions, under many conditions it is much safer for the general public to keep neutral and ground separated (please all engineering types. let us not begin a debate here, I have spent way too many hours sitting in on and debating this subject, it is much like what oil should I use in my T!).
Electronics has no universal code, so read the schematic!
Automotive applications somewhat follow general electrical, however, such following is not universal.
And no matter WHAT rules a given manufacturer may have followed, millions of shade tree mechanics have had a long time now to redo it wrong.

Drive safe!

Banjoe
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Lucas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50498

Post by Banjoe » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 am

I really appreciate all the "bring them back to life" stories. I'm on the resuscitation trail myself so am learning about the huge challenges required by these simple machines. Also appreciating the value of everyone that has gone before and am thankful to those willing to help, advise, and even give a friendly kick along the correct path to get us back on the road. There is true wisdom to the saying that "None of us is as smart as all of us".
None of us is as smart as all of us.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:16 pm

wayne sheldon wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 pm
Hey there Admin Jeff! If you can't remember the "standard codes", you are not alone.
Oh, I remember all right... the resistor color code was also easy for a budding young college electrical engineering student to remember "Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet gives willingly" Or "Bad Boze Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well"

Black
Brown
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Violet
Gray
White

My problem is I'm red/green color blind. I therefore carry a Fluke multimeter everywhere I go.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic