Rootlieb sheet metal parts

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
joeyrooster

Rootlieb sheet metal parts

Post by joeyrooster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:35 am

Has anyone purchased sheet metal parts ( fenders , hoods , etc. ) from Rootlieb Inc. in Turlock Ca. .... If so are you happy with there work ... is the gauge the same as original ... do they fit well ...??? ... Thanks for any help ... Joe Gallagher ...joeg48@hotmail.com

John Haynes
First Name: John
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910,1911,1912,1913.1914
MTFCA Number: 27737

Re: Rootlieb sheet metal parts

Post by John Haynes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:12 pm

I have purchased over 5 sets of fenders, splash aprons, running boards and hoods from Tom Rootlieb and never had a problem. Excellent craftsmanship! I have been very pleased with his work!
John Haynes

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Many years ago I purchased a full set of fenders, hood and running boards for my '21 Tourer. They were "perfect"

More recently I purchased a full Speedster kit. It had a few small problems, that with some massaging we overcame.
One was that the small (1 inch-ish) skirts around the two front fenders were flopping around like untrained seals and needed welding in place. The rear fenders skirts were acceptable but we welded them too. Another problem, we found was that the fenders arrived with their mounting brackets already riveted into place. In order to stop rust from forming between the brackets, rivets and the fenders, we removed them, painted everything and then re attached everything together. One rear fender, supposedly flat top, actually had a slight curve in it that also needed some massaging.
Apart from these, relatively minor problems, the rest of Toms products are fabulous and well worth their price. Rootlieb's also organised the shipping at a very reasonable price.
My wife and I called in to visit their Turlock factory while we were on holiday a few years back and Tom gave my wife and I a guided tour, treated us like royalty.

Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
DSC00248.jpg
DSC00247.jpg
DSC00234.jpg
DSC09325_renamed_22644.jpg
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:06 am

While in California a few years back, my wife and I visited the facility. Tom treated us to the best tour of his establisment that anyone could expect. He took the time to show us how his products were made. All the beading and crowning is done by hand. Even with all this labor, the products are still inexpensive. Top notch products, and people.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 am

Why is this in the off topic forum?

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Rob Patterson wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm
Many years ago I purchased a full set of fenders, hood and running boards for my '21 Tourer. They were "perfect"

More recently I purchased a full Speedster kit. It had a few small problems, that with some massaging we overcame.
One was that the small (1 inch-ish) skirts around the two front fenders were flopping around like untrained seals and needed welding in place. The rear fenders skirts were acceptable but we welded them too. Another problem, we found was that the fenders arrived with their mounting brackets already riveted into place. In order to stop rust from forming between the brackets, rivets and the fenders, we removed them, painted everything and then re attached everything together. One rear fender, supposedly flat top, actually had a slight curve in it that also needed some massaging.
Apart from these, relatively minor problems, the rest of Toms products are fabulous and well worth their price. Rootlieb's also organised the shipping at a very reasonable price.
My wife and I called in to visit their Turlock factory while we were on holiday a few years back and Tom gave my wife and I a guided tour, treated us like royalty.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob, I am getting ready to pull the trigger and order all but the wood components for a speedster build.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic