Vintage calcium carbide for your vintage FORD

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Vintage calcium carbide for your vintage FORD

Post by Dropacent » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm

A86CCAE0-4B6B-425A-AD6D-5D4F146C41ED.jpeg
Vintage 2 lb litho sealed old store can filled with calcium carbide. $40+ postage BUT will ship for free with any other purchase. Tmorsher@icloud.com to reach me, Please No PMs, phone numbers to call, messages here to pm of call. Tmorsher@icloud.com
666317E2-9138-4DEA-8F18-3072BCD2F63D.jpeg

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Re: Vintage calcium carbide for your vintage FORD

Post by Fordwright » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Even in a sealed container, calcium carbonate tends to break down over time. If it's light colored and breaks up easily into finer grains, it's probably not usable anymore.

Topic author
Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for your concern, Greg, but this is calcium carbide. Calcium carbonate is a dietary supplement, or a stomach remedy. What I have is for producing acetylene gas, not relieving gas in your stomach.

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am

Dropacent wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 pm
Thanks for your concern, Greg, but this is calcium carbide. Calcium carbonate is a dietary supplement, or a stomach remedy. What I have is for producing acetylene gas, not relieving gas in your stomach.
Sorry, I meant calcium carbide. Thanks for the friendly correction.

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Sold, thanks Larry !

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:02 pm

I had an old 1/2 can of the same brand that was crumbly and looked broken down and it still worked just fine.

Grizwaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Grisbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Post by Grizwaldo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 am

Tim,
Looks like Henry is always there keeping his eye on you,I'm wondering if you have to do any special markings on your packaging when you send that stuff?
Steve

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:50 am

I sold and shipped a bunch of 11oz cans of carbide about 15 years ago. As I recall, they had to be marked:

ORM-D
Consumer Commodity
Surface Transportation Only

The specifics are in the USPS tariffs online.

I remember the first time I dropped some of those packages off, the lady at the post office grabbed a big marker and was going to scribble out that info on the package. I said “Hey, what are you doing?”. She said “Did you write that on these packages?”. I said “Yes”. She proceeded to scold me in terms of writing warnings on packages that I probably didn’t understand, that could subject them to special handling and maybe cost the post office more money... I then explained to her that my labeling was in accordance with USPS tariffs for the material being shipped and that the material was a dry solid which produces a flammable or explosive gas if it gets wet. She just said “Oh.” and that was it!

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am

This Shawinigan calcium carbide was made originally in Shawinigan City, Quebec province, Canada in 1909.

Here a little story about that company. I'm leaving an 1 hour from my there.

The Shawinigan Carbide Company, forerunner of Shawinigan Chemicals Limited, was established in 1901 by Thomas Leopold "Carbide" Willson, who invented the carbide manufacturing process in 1892. The plant was sited at Shawinigan Falls, Quebec, in order to take advantage of surplus electric power produced by Shawinigan Water and Power Company, itself established in 1898. In 1909 SWPC gained a controlling interest in Shawinigan Carbide Company and in other Willson companies, and in 1911 reorganized them as the Canada Carbide Company. In 1915 SWPC established the Canadian Electro Products Company to manufacture acetone and other products for the British war effort. With the loss of its markets in 1918, the new company directed its research facilities to the development of chemicals for civilian consumption; thenceforth the company and its successors based their production heavily on original research. In 1927 Canadian Electro Products and Canada Carbide Company were amalgamated as Shawinigan Chemicals Limited. After the company moved to Varenne in south shore of Montreal and became Dow Chemical as today.

Hope you enjoyed this brief historical moment.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:16 pm

Although it pains me when they do this, the safest way to preserve the look and function of a carbide lamp might be to install a bright LED headlight inside the lamp. I wouldn't doubt that someone has already developed a conversion.

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Quickm007 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am
This Shawinigan calcium carbide was made originally in Shawinigan City, Quebec province, Canada in 1909.

Here a little story about that company. I'm leaving an 1 hour from my there.

The Shawinigan Carbide Company, forerunner of Shawinigan Chemicals Limited, was established in 1901 by Thomas Leopold "Carbide" Willson, who invented the carbide manufacturing process in 1892. The plant was sited at Shawinigan Falls, Quebec, in order to take advantage of surplus electric power produced by Shawinigan Water and Power Company, itself established in 1898. In 1909 SWPC gained a controlling interest in Shawinigan Carbide Company and in other Willson companies, and in 1911 reorganized them as the Canada Carbide Company. In 1915 SWPC established the Canadian Electro Products Company to manufacture acetone and other products for the British war effort. With the loss of its markets in 1918, the new company directed its research facilities to the development of chemicals for civilian consumption; thenceforth the company and its successors based their production heavily on original research. In 1927 Canadian Electro Products and Canada Carbide Company were amalgamated as Shawinigan Chemicals Limited. After the company moved to Varenne in south shore of Montreal and became Dow Chemical as today.

Hope you enjoyed this brief historical moment.
Yes indeed.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 pm

It might have been bought by Dow at one time,but it did not become Dow Chemical as today.Bud.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 pm

The Dow Chemical Company (TDCC) is an American multinational chemical corporation headquartered in Midland, Michigan, United States, and a subsidiary of Dow Inc. The company is among the three largest chemical producers in the world. Dow manufactures plastics, chemicals, and agricultural products.
Number of employees‎: ‎54,000 (2018) Industry‎: ‎Chemical industry
Products‎: ‎Chemicals, plastics, performance ch... Net income‎: ‎$4.499 billion (2018)

Also In the past a beer Company named Dow could confuse some folks. And that beer killed some people... See bellow.

Dow Breweries was purchased in the 1920s by National Breweries of Quebec, which itself was acquired by Canadian Breweries (CBL) in 1952.[3] Under CBL ownership, it took over the Quebec City brewery of the Boswell Brewery (1843–1952).[4] CBL was one of the "Big Three" of Canadian brewing and Dow became a national brand. The Quebec City brewery stopped its activities on March 31, 1966, [5] and production of the Dow brands moved to other plants.

At the urging of Board chair and academic Pierre Gendron, Dow Breweries supported the construction of the Montreal Planetarium, originally calling it "Dow Planetarium". It was completed in 1966 as one of many projects for the Canadian Centennial.

In August 1965, a patient presented to a hospital in Quebec City with symptoms suggestive of alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Over the next eight months, 50 more cases with similar findings appeared in the same area with 20 of these being fatal. It was noted that all patients were heavy drinkers who mostly drank beer and preferred the Dow brand, 30 out of those consuming more than six litres (12 pints) of beer per day.[6] Epidemiological studies found that Dow had been adding cobalt sulfate to the beer for foam stability since July 1965 and that the concentration added in the Quebec city brewery was 10 times that of the same beer brewed in Montreal where there were no reported cases.[7][8]

Although Dow denied any responsibility, the Dow Brewery in Quebec City temporarily shut down and the remaining beer was dumped into the Saint Lawrence River. At the time of the incident, Dow Ale was the number one selling beer in Quebec; however, as a result of the "tainted beer scandal" sales of the brand soon dropped dramatically never to recover.[9]

Canadian Breweries became Carling O'Keefe in 1973, which eventually merged with the Molson Brewery in 1989. The Dow brands were discontinued in the spring of 1997.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic