Need help identifying a radiator and cap

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
hokies_86
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Nichols
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 touring

Need help identifying a radiator and cap

Post by hokies_86 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Folks, this radiator came with my un-assembled model t. I'm trying to locate a radiator cap to fit. Thought a 28-29 model A cap would fit, but this is 16 tpi, and the model A is 18 tpi. Note the diamond pattern cooling fins. Hose connections appear to be in the right spot for a T. Any suggestions on sourcing a cap, besides making one? Thanks for your help.
rad1b.jpg
rad 2b.jpg
rad 3b.jpg
rad 4b.jpg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Need help identifying a radiator and cap

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:36 pm

I would recommend that you put the radiator on a T and put something such as a piece of old innertube and fasten with a wire tie or something. Then take the T out for a drive and try to get it as hot as you can to see how well the radiator performs before you look for a cap. The reason why is that that design radiator cannot be rodded out and can only be boiled out so when it gets plugged, it is beyond usefulness.

If the radiator is good, then search for a cap. They can be found in swap meets, antique stores, especially those who have auto parts. Maybe someone you know who has a radiator with outside threads will have a cap which will fit. Then you can look for a source of that type cap.

Otherwise, the radiator is good for a wall hanging.
Norm

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:45 pm

One could always change the filler neck too...

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Very interesting after-market radiator. While most after-market radiators were made with a filler neck that would fit a standard T radiator cap, or therefore a standard accessory for a T cap. A few did use any of other neck sizes or threads. Another possibility, is that someone may have changed the neck at some time. You may or may not be able to tell by looking at the base of the neck and top tank closely.
That is what is usually referred to as a "honeycomb" radiator, more properly called a "cellular" design. They can be very good. Or not so good clear to very bad. The cellular design cannot be rodded out, and they resist cleaning by most methods. Some people love them, some hate them.

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am

Got one on my speedster. This one came with a Model A cap and T era wings & Moto-meter.
Attachments
IMG_4155crop.jpg

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 am

Ordinary vinegar works pretty good for cleaning this type of radiator. My approach is;
Figure out a way to seal the neck temporarily. Perhaps a piece of bicycle inner tube would fit.
Now lay it carefully face down and pour vinegar into it through the lower connector. You will probably need a couple of gallons. Leave it for 24 hours and then dump the vinegar into a plastic pail. Now flush it good with the garden hose.
I wish you all the best

Topic author
hokies_86
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Nichols
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 touring

Post by hokies_86 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:45 am

Excellent advice, I'll try the inner tube/hose clamp advice first, see if its worth going any further - then soldering on a different neck makes sense. Or at the next swap meet I'll start my "radiator cap collection that doesn't fit anything I own". Thanks all.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am

It would not be that difficult to make a cap to fit
The cheap and easy might be from a piece of aluminum round bar. Yes you need a metal lathe

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:39 pm

There are screw on hubcaps that are close to the size of the neck on your radiator. I would highly suggest you try to use a temporary cap of some kind and make sure it will still cool before spending time on the radiator. Old radiators can sometime be OK but most of the time their not.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Looks a lot like a Whippet or Overland neck.

Hank

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 am

You can also take some 2x4's builld a box large enough for the radiator to fit in laying down cover the inside of the box with heavy plastic sheeting making a leak proof "bucket" set the radiator in and fill it all up with vinegar.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:34 pm

These work just fine. I keep a set for blocking fuel tank filler holes for cleaning/sealing fuel tanks, and sealing radiators for mild chemical cleaning (like vinager): https://www.petersenproducts.com/143-5- ... s/1901.htm

Additionally, this style is particularly suited to fuel tanks as well, if you're worried about it falling in like above plugs could (which I tie off for safety as necessary): https://www.petersenproducts.com/143-9- ... s/1904.htm

when used with fuel tank sealer, a layer of Saran or generic cling wrap keeps the thing free of the sealing goop
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic