HELP ... Loose Steering

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Hambick
First Name: Hambick
Last Name: Nercissian
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe (Dr's Special)

HELP ... Loose Steering

Post by Hambick » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm

H ~ E ~ L ~ P ~
I have a loose steering wheel on a 27 Dr's Coupe ... about 1/8 turn or 20-25 degrees at steering gear junction. Its been suggested by bush mechanics to fill the steering gear junction with "saw dust" so the gears would operate tightly !!! ... Any suggestions? Ideas? Hacks?

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: HELP ... Loose Steering

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:04 am

Forget the sawdust. Have you taken the quadrant apart to check the condition of the pins and gears? If that is where the slop is they make replacements - even oversize ones. I don't think you want to take a chance with your steering binding up while you're going down the road.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:12 am

Why risk your safety or the safety of others by cutting corners instead of doing it right? Buy the proper parts and rebuild the steering box and check out the front bushings too. If your not sure what to do just ask questions for assistance.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 am

My '27 had the same issue and the problem wasn't just one thing. The tie rod ends were loose, the drag link was loose at the Pittman arm, and the column was loose at the block that mounts the column to the frame. The sun gear shaft that attaches to the steering wheel was also loose in the steering box cover. Everything was replaced and or adjusted and now I steer the T rather then aim it. Steering ain't a place to cut corners.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 am

I agree with John. I see you are located in Pasadena. There is a lot of traffic in the L.A. area and not a place to have steering problems.
Check and replace or adjust all loose problems. Another potential problem in a 27 is the diamond shaped part of the steering box which is riveted to the column. sometimes it is loose and turns back and forth as you rotate the steering wheel. Check the column for cracks and if not cracked you can put a shim between the box and the column. Also check and replace the rivets if they are broken.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:52 am

Loose steering is often, maybe usually, a collection of several loose components. In addition to checking the gears for wear and the gear box for loose or broken rivets, also check drag link and tie rod connections and bracket bushings.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:52 pm

I have the infamous movement at the gear to column fit. This is one of my winter projects with any luck. ;)

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:04 pm

There probably is slack in the steering box but there is some also in the rest of the front end.
The overall best thing to do is to drop the front axle assembly and replace all the bushings in it. If you check it might surprise you what’s worn.
A T is easy to do and you can put the axle assembly on the work bench and replace the bushings. Along with repairing the steering column your T will drive and be better in steering response.

Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Mustang1964s » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:13 pm

For me, it was a combination of things.
I had my grandson wiggle the wheel from side to side.
Traced the movement down to the point it didn't wiggle.
After each fix the wiggle was less than less and the issue was in a different part.
Don't skimp or short cut the fixes.

Tbz4u
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Weitzel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 coupe,23 touring 14 speedster WILD CHERRY 2 1909 touring 27 roaster
MTFCA Number: 22631
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Tbz4u » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Sometimes its just easier to find a better steering column if thats the problem.The hard part is dropping out the bottom of car or pulling to inside and taking out. I have a car lift so its easy

art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Post by art32mor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Wear everywhere magnifys at the wheel
Start jack up the car repair everything thats loose even radiouse ball and shackles
And at the top end make sure rivits and steering case up top is tight and secure

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:00 am

That "sawdust thing" sounds like some used car salesmans "TEMPORARY FIX" just to sell a car with loose and sloppy steering!

Pete Ratledge
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Ratledge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 T touring
MTFCA Number: 6356
MTFCI Number: 3534

Post by Pete Ratledge » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Hambrick, I had the same problem with my 1911 touring.I went over the whole front end. I finally decided to change the whole steering assembly to the 5:1 gear ratio. It was very expensive, but the outcome was well worth it. The driving and the control of the car is very good. I do a lot of touring and sometimes encounter a little heavy traffic. Loose steering is very dangerous in a Model T. You have a enough to keep on your mind with out worrying about the steering. Lang's has the Kit.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 am

Pull the steering column out and rebuild it. You will likely find that the column tube is cracked at the gear case. The cracks can be brazed up or the tube can simply be replaced. Careful inspect the steering shaft, planet gears, and pins and replace anything that is worn out. Make sure the pins are tight in the shaft and replace the bushing in the frame mounted steering bracket if the shaft is too loose. Also, make sure the wood block is in place and all three of the bracket mounting bolts are tight. This will go a long way towards improving the steering in your car.

Stephen

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 am

I've replaced a couple of 4to1 gear sets with 5to1 gear sets and they worked out great. I used original used 5to1 sets that had very minimal wear. I replaced the gear pins in the steering shafts with ones that I made from drill rod witch was .001 or .002 over sized. That made the pins fit nice and tight in the steering shaft and took up what little wear was in the planet gear bores. Took out all of the play in that assembly and everything went together great. Well worth the effort. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
Hambick
First Name: Hambick
Last Name: Nercissian
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe (Dr's Special)

Post by Hambick » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you one & all for your opinions & suggestions. The message is clear indeed.

Unfortunately I live in a property without storage or garage, I cannot even have an auto on premises, & working on it in the street is out of question. I guess I just have to find an apt mechanic somewhere near by.

Thanx again for your posts, we consider this subject closed now.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm

My guess is it is the very nice Coupe you have for sale. Rather than scratch up a bunch of stuff and suffer the damage and mal-repair a local mechanic will do, why not let the new owner take care of it himself? He/she will likely have the knowledge/tools to do this and will certainly be more motivated to do a careful and correct job than the local wrench. FWIW.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic