A Painting of a Curved Dash Olds.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

A Painting of a Curved Dash Olds.

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:21 pm

Today I called the latest painting finished. I started it 1 month and 3 days ago and have worked every day 4 to 8 hours on it.
OldsGirl.jpg
As a youngster I was impressed with old stuff and Virginia City, MT always was a fascinating visit. The Dudley Garage had a Curved Dash Olds in it and here are some photos I took in the 60s. The calliopes and mechanical music boxes were unbelievable.
CDoldsRL1.jpg
These are taken at various stages. Blocking out areas is lots of fun. Eventually I cover some of the real art with lots of detail.
OldsGirlStages.jpg
Acrylic paint will dry out so I drip and spray water on it and cover it at night. An eye dropper and spray bottle do the trick. Shown at bottom is a brass lamp hanging where I can study the colors as I paint. Also dozens of prints clutter the area with details. A number of these delightful old cars survived and the internet has plenty of good photos to work from.
OldsGirlSudio.jpg
Getting lost in these paintings or in car projects is one of the best things I do. On a day like this when we are thankful for so many things it's nice to share this.
Best to all.
Rich
When did I do that?

Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Re: A Painting of a Curved Dash Olds.

Post by Herb Iffrig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Thank you for letting us see that.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:11 pm

That is a beautiful painting and I like the subject matter and the way you present it. The young child is a perfect fit.

You should think about painting as a hobby!
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Nice to hear from you Herb and Perry. I'll consider taking it up as a hobby. Right now it is therapy for making it through the winter.
Best wishes.
Rich
When did I do that?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Very nice Richard! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks Mark. For the most part the paintings show off on the screen here as well as in person. A few portions come out good enough to show closer. Capturing the leather and bare wood were more satisfying to me than some other portions of the painting.
OldsGirDetai1.jpg
OldsGirDetai2.jpg
These are about 4X5 and 3X6.
When did I do that?

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Very Nice Rich, when you are passionate in a subject it is easy to get lost in a good way!

Hank

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:27 pm

I love cold weather in your back yard ! The onset of winter meens your paintbrush is back in action!

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 am

Beautiful, work of art in every best sense! It captures so much, the car, the surroundings, the mood. Wonderful!

The Curved Dash Oldsmobile and I have a long and troubled relationship. When I was growing up, around San Jose Califunny, things like the "Bliss" horseless carriages were popular with the modern locals. There were also a number of better-built similar fakes, I never did find out who built them. As I was beginning to seriously study antique automobiles, I quickly found that these fakes were all over town, common in local parades, and one could ride one's bicycle down the street and see the things sitting in garages a bit often. I think I knew of twenty of the dumb things at one time! On rare occasions when I saw a real CDO, I found them to be somewhat disappointing having seen so many of the fakes. Sadly, I got to where I really didn't like the CDO very much. However, as I read so much history, I did come to know that they were a very important piece of the whole beginning of the automobile. So, eventually, as the fakes began to fade into the dark corners of the past, I came to really like the CDO. Had life treated me better, I would really love to have one, and even looked into a few rough projects some years back.
But, like too many things in my life, it is not to be.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks for the nice comments. Painting these cars gives me a chance to study the details of the cars and the beauty in them. I agree that the fakes did tarnish some of their charm. We had a couple in Idaho Falls. One was painted up with the Mayflower Moving logo and one delivered items from a men's clothing shop. Fortunately the real one in Virginia City over powered that for me. I have pondered whether the fake ones delight to uneducated justifies their existence. Many have come to the hobby inspired by odd and even disgusting examples.
No matter. Anything fun to look at is fun to look at.
Rich
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:50 am

Speaking of things fun to look at, Rich, you’ve done it again !! Thanks for posting this, I especially enjoy the close up details.

As for the “made up” CDOs, perhaps the motive was “pure”, i.e. to have and enjoy something that would be otherwise unattainable. Much of “hot-ridding”, building T speedsters and retro-fitting modern components and materials springs from that motive, and the satisfaction one gets from the creativity that obtains. We all develop different standards and “tastes” in the process. “Each to his own !” said the old lady as she kissed her cow. 😉
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:02 am

"Oh My Cow!"
I appreciate that Rich. It is interesting where our inspiration comes from. A strict restoration limits the creativity we can enjoy but is satisfying in it's own right.
This is one of many vehicles I studied for the painting:
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf18 ... out/702275
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Holy cow !! 😳. Case in point as to why this mere mortal will never own a CDO this side of Heaven !!

The creativity factor is a moving target. Rich, I’ve seldom seen such “creativity” as your successful efforts to replicate original parts and hardware.

In 1962, when I fell in love with my first Model T, my “creativity” took the path of imagining the use of available, similar items to replace ruined and weathered parts, mostly influenced by the washing machine bone yard my grandpa had collected through the prior quarter-century. Laughable, but I sure had fun daydreaming!
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic