Tire sidewall cracking

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Tire sidewall cracking

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Just saw a interesting DuPont TV ad on TCM
about why tire sidewalls would crack( like our T tires were doing). This ad was on the old tv show “ Dupont Show of the Month “ in 1958. The DUpont ad said that ozone will cause tire sidewalls to crack and break. This a natural process. DuPont developed neoprene to add to tires to stop the cracks.

Could it have been someone was cutting cost when making our tires by not putting neoprene ? Dan

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Tire sidewall cracking

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Dan, you are now a professional carpenter, You keep hitting nails dead on the head!

Hank

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:52 am

Or, rather than cutting costs, is it to shorten the life span of tyres to sell more? With today's virtual monopoly on production of tyres for a model T, cost cutting is meaningless when there is no competition in the market place. But if they can sell more of an inferior product, that will do nicely thank you.

Excuse my cynicism, but making a quality tyre is not an impossible task.

Allan from down under.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:48 am

Allan, you for sure hit the nail on the head! Around here there are a lot of antique tractor guys that run tires that can be 50+ years old and work just fine. And it isn't just tires, almost anything made from rubber doesn't last like it used to. I remember rubber windshield wiper blades lasting for two or three years on cars setting outside all of the time here, now we're lucky to get several months use out of them, even when they're garaged. And isn't it strange that those old whitewalls stayed white until they were worn out, and then some? :x :x :x I just bought some new white lettered tires for my pickup, so far, I haven't seen any of them turn brown around here for several years. :roll: Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:12 am

Try not to store / park rubber items around electric motors that run a lot. Electric motors put off ozone gas. When I was in high school, I pumped gas at a service station that also sold tires. They stored the new tires in a small room that had a HUGE air compressor in it. We even called the room "the air compressor room" The owner had so many returns on one brand of tire that he switched brands. The new supplier told him the the air compressor was the problem and he installed an overhead tire rack in one of the service bays. That old huge air compressor got a lot of use and ran a lot because of use and many leaks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic