Cleaning a gas tank in California?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Cleaning a gas tank in California?

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:49 pm

I’m pulling my roadster out of mothballs. The last time I saw it, the carburetor had varnished up, and I’m expecting the gas tank to be similar. Is there an effective cleaning solution I can do at home? I know MEK worked, but it’s illegal in my state. Any suggestions are appreciated.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: Cleaning a gas tank in California?

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Boiling a grundy carb in water and soap has broke free gumy fuel for me but for the gas tank,I don't know how you would boil something that big to get the grundge to melt or run out. In all honesty,for the tank,may just as well buy a new 1 and sell the old 1 at a swap meet to someone that can get stuff to clean it with to make up some of the cost of the new 1.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:21 pm

A good radiator shop can clean your tank. Unless it is a 26-27 a new tank could be cheaper.

Andy

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50 pm

I know MEK worked, but it’s illegal in my state.

Are you sure? Three different paint stores told me lacquer thinner is illegal in California. I bought it at Home Depot.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
BuddyTheRoadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Sadly yep. Lacquer thinner, paint thinner, and acetone are available. (They’re not what they used to be, but that’s usually the case with chemicals.) MEK, tuolene, xylene, and surprisingly denatured alcohol are pretty much illegal to sell in out here.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:26 pm

My favorite chemical ban was in the Central Valley town where the city fathers passed an ordinance against deadly hydrogen dioxide — H₂O. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
BuddyTheRoadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Yeah, well. Apparently carbon was found to be carcinogenic. So now, burnt toast, diamonds, and organic chemistry are dangerous to your health. :lol:

Anyway, I was hoping someone had an effective homebrew solution. I’ll get the car from storage tonight and go from there.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm

it is very difficult to beat this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-40101-Cle ... NrPXRydWU=

I would purchase the whole gallon and when using it, not be in a hurry for it to work. When sealing gas tanks, I give both this, as well as the metal prep (which you do not need if the tank has no rust) each a day to work, all the while slowly turning the tank a little bit each hour.

The POR gas tank kit is absolutely wonderful if your tank leaks, though I always buy and use extra cleaner and extra metal prep.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm with Scott. I used a PQR-15 kit to remove varnish, rust and coat the inside of my 10 gallon round tank. I also used the metal prep to de-gunk my gascolator. I haven't used it on a carb but don't see why it wouldn't work. Just follow the instructions and you'll be happy with the result.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

White vinegar is a mild acid and I use it as a cleaner on many items but I never tried it on gasoline varnish.. I wonder if you let it soak in white vinegar for a while if it would loosen the varnish for you.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

lesvonnordheim
First Name: Les
Last Name: Von Nordheim

Post by lesvonnordheim » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Go to an Automotive paint and body shop supply store in Calif. and ask for "Paint Gun Wash". It's available in 5 gal. containers and it works like Lacquer thinner.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:04 am

Internet searching
the "Goof-off" product (be careful around paint & plastic) sold in CA
from earth911.com
Vinegar
Heavy-duty varnish remover, soap-scum and rust hero, sunburn soother
We could write one vinegar tip a day for the whole year and still have leftover uses! According to Heinz, a whopping 90 percent of American household buy vinegar, so we’ll assume you can find a bottle tucked away somewhere in your kitchen.
Vinegar’s natural acidic content makes it an ideal solvent and stubborn stain cleaner. With a little elbow grease and a sponge, you can wipe away hard-water and mildew stains in your shower – that’s a major breath of fresh air compared to bleach-based multipurpose cleaners.
As proof of its power, vinegar can tackle even the toughest of substances: varnish. One blogger used a 50-50 mix of warm water and white vinegar to strip the varnish from his hardwood floors. With a set time of just half an hour, the old glue easily peeled away with a basic floor scraper.
While it’s tough on stains, vinegar is gentle on the skin. The Vinegar Institute recommends using white distilled or cider vinegar to relieve a nasty sunburn. You can also add two tablespoons to bathwater to soothe dry, itchy skin.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 am

TRDxB2 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:04 am
Internet searching
the "Goof-off" product (be careful around paint & plastic) sold in CA
from earth911.com
Vinegar
Heavy-duty varnish remover, soap-scum and rust hero, sunburn soother
We could write one vinegar tip a day for the whole year and still have leftover uses! According to Heinz, a whopping 90 percent of American household buy vinegar, so we’ll assume you can find a bottle tucked away somewhere in your kitchen.
Vinegar’s natural acidic content makes it an ideal solvent and stubborn stain cleaner. With a little elbow grease and a sponge, you can wipe away hard-water and mildew stains in your shower – that’s a major breath of fresh air compared to bleach-based multipurpose cleaners.
As proof of its power, vinegar can tackle even the toughest of substances: varnish. One blogger used a 50-50 mix of warm water and white vinegar to strip the varnish from his hardwood floors. With a set time of just half an hour, the old glue easily peeled away with a basic floor scraper.
While it’s tough on stains, vinegar is gentle on the skin. The Vinegar Institute recommends using white distilled or cider vinegar to relieve a nasty sunburn. You can also add two tablespoons to bathwater to soothe dry, itchy skin.

...and you can wash your old barn cat in vinegar to remove the smell after he catches a skunk. Just wear gauntlets when doing so to prevent a trip to the emergency room. Trust me.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am

I used carburetor cleaner years ago. I put in a handful of CLEAN pea gravel and tossed it around. That worked for over 50 years until I got a bad tank of gas a couple of years ago. I took the tank to a local radiator shop to have it cleaned out, and here is where I made my mistake. Don't assume the radiator shop will get it 100% clean. I should have put cleaner in the tank after I got it back and flushed it several times to make sure there was nothing left. I'm now using a fuel filter, and changing it every hundred miles until there is no more evidence of crud. The last filter completely plugged up, and wouldn't allow the car to run.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I had a nice oval tank that had a distinct rattle. Was told it was likely a rusted out tank baffle. There have been a few threads about the baffle that should be on the underside of the gas cap. Mine was gone so maybe that was the cause. I shook the heck out of it and pulled out a few wasp nests. Even so that didn't get one stubborn one and given the size of what I got out it must have been really big (the biggest piece is thumb size). :idea: Vinegar is used to expose fossils in lime stone. So I tried pouring some vinegar in the tank and position it to dissolve the remaining nest (some of what is in the white dish). Flushed the tank with hydrogen dioxide — H₂O to get the remaining grit out. And repeated the vinegar wash for any rust. It did such a good job dissolving rust, it opened up two small pin holes on the wasp end of the tank from the inside!
Attachments
IMG_0528[1].JPG
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic