Restored Stromberg OF

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Restored Stromberg OF

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:21 am

Same carb. It took me an entire afternoon to get it apart enough so I could finish taking it apart. May not have been the worst one ever but it was pretty close
2019 12 27 rusty of.jpg
DSCF1574.JPG
DSCF1575.JPG

Mike Robinson
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster 1914 Speedster 1925 Touring 1926 roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 22510

Re: Restored Stromberg OF

Post by Mike Robinson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 am

Nice work! Did you have to make the missing nut from the top of the float in the first photo?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:26 am

Remarkable, Stan. Thanks for sharing.

When I first got my driver's license, I used to go over to an old Swedish Tool and Die maker's home after school and he would instruct me on the use of old machinery and hand fitting parts. Often weeks went by where I only used a file and jewlers' saw. He did fabulous restorations of Scientific devices and very early clocks. My love for machinery and hand work was born in his basement during those years and skills learned, served as a solid foundation for everything I've done in life.

It's really good of you to share this with us.
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:19 pm

What do u guys clean the brass bodies with? I know u don’t blast unless it’s ultra fine or soda?
They look great!!

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Sometimes I think that in his early years that Stan went to the Penn and Teller school of magic.

Seeing an example of his work like this, I believe even more.....

(After all, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus)>

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:06 pm

It's always a treat to see those!
Rich
When did I do that?

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Stan,

That's truly A.S.N. work. :?

A.S.N. - At-Sa-Nicea
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks, quick answers before I head back to the shop, trying to get some in the mail today.

I bead blast virtually every thing. I use 70/100 Potters glass beads which tend to break down into a finer dust more than some others. I have an old bead blast cabinet that I've been going to replace for years. I never change the beads, just dump the vacuum once or twice a year when it quits sucking and add more beads. I blast at 125 lbs.

Ultrasonic cleaner. IMHO anybody who isn't cleaning carbs with good ultrasonic is not cleaning them. I have three. The first has some pretty nasty stuff in it to clean passages. The second has some medium nasty with gun brass case cleaner/shine stuff and more of my concoctions. Third has water with some soap to try to get all the crap off from the ultrasonics. Then outside I have a bigger ultrasonic with what is basically lacquer thinner and other goop to try to clean internal passages, etc. It is nasty but usually works. If you don't clean the passages you didn't clean the carburetor. I drill or run a reamer through every passage. I have about every sized reamer you can think of.

Wire brush, stainless steel, .006 3450 1/3 hp. Sanding drums. Buffing wheels, big Baldor buffer outside. It will be a hell of an auction.

Parts. I have 6 lathes of various sizes, two unimats, one Little Machine Shop 8 x 16, one Enco 6 x 19, one Sherline and a Jet Gunsmith 13 x 39. Bought them all new except one of the Unimat SL's. Probably 100 lbs of brass stock from 1/16 to 1 1/2 both round and hex as well as some square. I make most of the brass bolts and nuts I use from stock. I also have two mills and half a dozen drill presses set up for various operations. So make those float caps as well as machine a lot of other parts. I have well over 100 sizes of matching taps and dies from 0-80 to 1 1/2 x 32. Most are older Greenfield tap and die but some are new even tho they are made in China or Japan or Israel.

I have every size of screw from 0-80 up through larger sizes and make a lot of the specialty bolts and pieces, including those float cover caps. I usually make a couple dozen at a time depending on how busy I am. Nearly every Stromberg carb is missing that cap. I also save all the usable originals I get.

I also have probably 20 or 30 custom made jigs and fixtures for various operations.

Back to the shop.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic