1922 coupe window channels

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Galen West
First Name: Galen
Last Name: West
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 touring, 06 model N, 15 roadster, 18 centerdoor, 22 coupe, 23 chassis, 25 touring, 26 cut off, 26 coupe

1922 coupe window channels

Post by Galen West » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 am

I am in need of window channels for my 22 coupe. Some years ago one of our members listed where to purchase the correct channels. They need to be aprox 9/16 wide and 5/16 inside. Would appreciate any information on where to find these. Thanks

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: 1922 coupe window channels

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 am

Lang’s and probably some of the other T suppliers sell lengths of window channel for T closed cars. You buy the channel and cut to fit for your cars particular needs. If your Coupe still has the remains of the original channel cut the new channel the same as the original and install.

Rich in Colorado
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Carlson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Center Door 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50369

Post by Rich in Colorado » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

Galen,
I just replaced all the original glass in my '22 center door with safety glass. The issue with the reproduction channels, that I found, was that the new stuff is thicker and better made (I got mine from Snyder's. I'm sure they all sell the same stuff). The channel I took out was just felt. The new is rubber backed, has a metal strip modeled inside, then felt.

So the channel is so much more thick, that the window fits very tight. It's hard to get the window up and down. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd get my glass supplier to make the side windows a little more narrow. Not much, maybe 1/4 inch.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rich
Rich in Colorado
1922 Model T Center Door
1923 Model T Touring
1928 Model A Tudor
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1966 Ford F250 Camper Special

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am

I bought the window channels for my 24 Coupe and it was a little tighter with the channel I got from Snyder’s and it’s a tad tighter than it was with the original. But the earlier Coupes may be a little different.
What I did learn though is that the door windows on my 24 Coupe aren’t square. If you have some new glass cut make sure the glass company knows that if you 22 glass is the same way. The top edge of the door glass is slightly sloped. Just a detail that can be overlooked and has been before.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 am

Looking at the body parts book, 1922 seems to be a one year only when it comes to door and quarter windows. Reading Bruce's book there looks to be a mixture of strap pull up and latch type pull up quarter windows depending on what part of the year. I didn't see any carry over parts numbers into 24/25. (1923 seems to be missing in the parts book re side glass channels) So which channels are you needing? Door, quarter or both and if quarter glass also, which style? That might help narrow down the search. If the quarter glass uses a strap to lift, that would be a bit more difficult to find because it isn't a straight channel.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Galen West
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 touring, 06 model N, 15 roadster, 18 centerdoor, 22 coupe, 23 chassis, 25 touring, 26 cut off, 26 coupe

Post by Galen West » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 pm

John,Rich and Mark, Thanks for your input. Really good stuff. I restored a 22 coupe 5 years ago. I bought the channels from a place that I read about here on our forum. They worked out well but can't recall now what the name of that company.My measurements for the door channel is 3/8 in deep,1/2 outside and glass thickness is a 1/4 in. I want at least 5/16 to give the glass plenty of room to travel in as the past job turned out to be very tight and hard to move the glass in the channel as you mentioned. I used a portion of a bar of soap to lubricate the glass and it helped it a lot. My glass is not sloping at the top as it was in your 24.The door windows overall were far easier than the quarter windows. My glass seemed just a little to wide as yours was. I completed it but it was a struggle.I very well may not find any channel that will fit my needs. The door glass was not removed as I removed the outer retaining metal of the channel and slid the channel up from the bottom and then place the top component and replaced the outer retaining metal. I need to remove all the glass out of the passenger door because there is a dent in the metal where the door was allow to swing wide open due to no retaining door strap. That will give me access to work out that dent. I certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions. Our forum is very helpful. Again thanks.Galen

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Galen as I remember I also used a small punch to use on the head of the small tacks I used. I seated them a little further in because of the thickness of the felt felt channel I used. I did that because I couldn’t get a good solid lick on the head and I was afraid I would scar the new paint I had applied to the doors. For purists that may not be the way to do it but I didn’t change the outward appearance and it worked OK for me.

Topic author
Galen West

Post by Galen West » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Mark, I need window channels for both door glass as well as the quarter windows. Thanks,Galen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic