Speedometer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Speedometer

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm

I received this in the mail today. It only cost me $20.

I think is a Model 160, but I am not sure. There are no holes in the case to mount it to my dash bracket.

My dash bracket has mounting points located at 10 am, 2 pm and 6 pm.

As you can see, the speedo has a removeable mounting bracket with attachment points at Noon, 4pm and 8 pm. This is the only way it will attach to the speedometer.

I opened it and cleaned the dirty glass (you couldn't even read it). The innards look serviceable, but what do I know. The Trip meter will not engage. The cable link does revolve. I can spin it by hand to 5 or 7 miles per, and a drill got it up to 35.
Attachments
Stewart Speedometer.jpg
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

John L
First Name: John
Last Name: Leffler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Coupe, 1927 Touring
MTFCA Number: 22526

Re: Speedometer

Post by John L » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Get Russ Firstnows book and get the correct information.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Will, two points on your speedo. That type of bracket is used to mount the speedo in a metal dash panel. The unit is mounted from behind, with the bezel protruding through the panel and the 3 mounting ears behind the panel. It does not require a separate mounting bracket.
It appears to have tumblers which have the numbers engraved/recessed into them, rather than painted on them. The painted on articles have potmetal tumblers which swell and jam. These units are mostly unserviceable. You have the good ones. I hope it works well for you.

Russ Furstnow is the go to person on speedos. I know he rebuilds the better type units with the engraved numbers, but if my memory serves me correctly, he told me at Chickasha that the painted number types are not worth bothering with, even if you can get them apart.

Allan from down under.

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Corey Walker » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:58 pm

I’ve got that speedometer to go in a speedster with an Overland body, fits perfectly with existing holes. If you took that bracket off the back and turned it 180 degrees it should fit. You might have to drill more holes to attach the bracket back to the speedometer.
Attachments
FCEAF664-75E7-43D2-913E-6EA8B40C979B.png
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic