front wheel bearing grease

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

front wheel bearing grease

Post by tdump » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 pm

I am a bit stumped. Back in 2012 or so,I packed the wheel bearings on the axle for my speedster project. Yep it has been sitting around alot since unfinished. But I put in my new king pin bushings and I noticed the wheel bearing grease was kinda runny and more like thick oil. I know I used some grease from a big ol can that was military surplus .But it plainly says Wheel bearing grease.Should I look at repacking them with a modern grease? I have some marine grease or some discbrake capable grease. But back when I put the new bearings in, I put in what I thought was correct.I am honestly afraid it will get thin and run out all over the place being it has felt grease seals.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: front wheel bearing grease

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Or; Get the car on the road so you can drive it more to keep the grease mixed up. :lol:
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:06 pm

I use the old fiberous wheel bearing grease that has been around since the beginning of time. No problems. StaLube is the brand, and I get it from Napa

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:15 am

Larry nailed it. I use the yellow NAPA fibrous grease in many applications, and there are no more runny grease problems. There are other greases that stay put used for heavy equipment such as bulldozers, but my NAPA STORE is only 2 miles away.

Cheers, Bill

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:37 am

So why didn't it get runny in the can? Do yourself a big favor and get a small tin of real modern wheel bearing grease and do them right. Wolf's Head Red. high temp, high pressure. Small tin a few bucks.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:36 am

Grease $+time vs wheel bearings $($$$$$)+time New modern seals?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 am

2841N or 2841 Do they fit the wire wheel hubs? If so heck yea I will pop em right in there as I don't want to ruin a set of Timkens.
Is this the front seals for wire wheel hubs?http://www.snjparts.com/Model-T-Front-A ... -2841.html

I was on medicine back when I put these together,strong pain meds.I don't know why I would not have put the modern seals in there unless I could not make sure they fit wire hubs. The details just say 19 to 27. I am going over some stuff to make sure it is ok as I go along.Never know what I mighta missed.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Mack - For what it's worth, I use grease that I buy from a nationally known marine supply store. Perhaps my thinking here is somewhat "childish", but I figure that modern grease that's designed and made for boat trailer wheel bearings for trailers that carry boats, some of which are much heavier than Model T Fords and that need to withstand the hazards of regular "dunking" in very corrosive salt water, just about have to be good for any chassis application on Model T Fords,..... again,..... for what it's worth,..... harold

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

I Have the marine grease as I use it in my utility trailer hubs.So once I can confirm what grease seal,exsuse me,dust shield, fits the wire wheel hub,i will get a couple and go thru the bearings again
I do need to clarify something.I know I am a tight wad,but I ask about this not because I am to tight to buy some grease,but I was wanting to know why the grease looked "oily" .No need to put grease in something if it is going to go to pot from just sitting in a shed.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Some grease has a clay base and over time it will seperate. I use the red tube grease but i add and force the old out once a year.Trucks have ran on oil for 50 years now. :D Bud. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic