top boot

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

top boot

Post by KWTownsend » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 am

I am working on a pattern for a top boot (or top cover) for my 1911 touring car. Top boots were not a provided with cars in 1911, but were available as an aftermarket item. I have been working on a design based upon original photos from the era, as well as an example of an original aftermarket top and when the pattern is finished, I will send it to Mike at Classtique for his stitchery. Since it was not a factory item, I am taking some creative license.

Here is the old aftermarket boot:
Michael Paul.jpg
It is on loan from Michael Paul. Made by the Auto Top Company of Portland Oregon.
It uses the side curtain fasteners on the top sockets to attach the boot (but don't line up on my car).
Oregon Auto Top Co snap.JPG
I really like the design of this one:
1911 top boot 5.5.jpg
It also uses the side curtain fasteners on the top sockets to attach the boot.

I want to make sure the top boot does not "balloon up" while driving. The original top I'm working with has two straps that are attached to the bottom of the boot, with a flat loop on the top. Mike says on later (1913-1914) cars he sews boots with three straps. The center strap is sewn to the bottom of the boot and goes through a flat loop on the top. The two outer straps are just sewn to the top of the boot.

Here are some pics of the pattern:
pattern 1.jpg
pattern 2.jpg
I'm looking for other design ideas and input on the attachment of the straps.

I welcome your constructive input.

: ^ )

Keith

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: top boot

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am

Keith: I find it hard to believe Ford didn't supply boots in 1911! But who am I to say? I've been interested in top boots for years, and have studied them extensively. My interests are 1913's so the information I'm aware of is for them. I have original boots for the runabout and the touring, and believe it or not both are made by the same company. There were two companies that made them. They both use three straps.
Ford introduced a new boot in 1916 that used no side flaps. This style was provided until 1922 I believe, when the boots were discontinued.
I make my own boots using the correct material available from the Haartz Corporation which makes it for Classtique. I also use original fasteners that I've collected, as the current styles just don't look right. It's fun to do this, and I made side curtains for my 1925 roadster too using original curtains, and Ford prints from the Benson Ford. I hope to make curtains for my '13 roadster one of these days.
'

Scott Rosenthal
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Rosenthal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Towncar, 12 Touring, 09 Touring

Post by Scott Rosenthal » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 am

Hello Keith:
Curious how the boot bottom panel is secured where this meets the rear panel of the body. What keeps this panel from sagging at its center?

Also curious how the top panel straps fasten under the seat cushion? Are these straps sewn to the top panel and then clipped to a footman loop or other hardware behind the seat cushion?

I'm not much concerned about creative license as long as my assembly looks credible and uses period hardware. I figure there were many who made these covers for Ford. and not likely any (2) were built identical.

Regards,
Scott

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:19 am

Very nice job Keith, keep it going.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:08 am

I have been corrected by a knowledgeable T restorer. The correct term is Top Dust Cover!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic