It's time to buy tires for my 1921 with non-demountable rims.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

It's time to buy tires for my 1921 with non-demountable rims.

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:21 pm

I am looking for recommendations on the best brand of tires to buy for a driver. Best for wear and safety, not for correctness.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: It's time to buy tires for my 1921 with non-demountable rims.

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:00 pm

Chris, there was a recent post on Blockley tyres from England. They have a very good reputation and many years of competition use on vintage vehicles.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:16 pm

150 bucks for each tire with unknown shipping charge from Bloxley. I'm waiting to hear their shipping charge.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Make sure you get the import duty tax / Tariff too. Don't assume its part of the shipping charge. And make sure prices are ALWAYS suffixed by USD. I recently got dinged by Custom's because FedEx (England shippr and importer in the USA) listed the amount I paid in USD as UKD (which is really an invalid currency code) That amount was the converted to USD and then the tax was applied to that amount.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:33 am

Blockley Tyres UK have recently appointed an Agent in Australia. They have also given a few parts distributors
sample Tubes for evaluation. I recon within 6 months they will be a popular brand used here. I for one will be ditching the non branded Tubes for these 100% thick Butyl that they manufacture. Sure price is important but a quality product is even
more important when you consider the longer life expected. It’s a bit like buying Hay. The freshly cut stuff is more expensive
that afterwards when it has been through the Horse.
Alan

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 am

Non demountable rims have nothing to do with it! Coker has an outlet in Industry, and Lucas in Long Beach.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:30 am

If you order from Coker try searching for the same tire at Summit Racing. The offer free shipping on all Cokers. I ordered a set for my Imperial.

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Coker and 'best brand' ???? I was under the impression that Coker supplied the Vietnamese manufactured tyres. Am I missing something?

Allan from down under.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:41 pm

All clincher tires regardless who's name is on it are imported from Vietnam from what I understand.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Steve Tomaso is correct. Clincher tires all come from the same source, with the exception of the new Blockleys. I believe the other clinchers are all the same, whether you get them from Coker, Lucas, Summit, or the Man in the Moon. They vary in price according to what name is on them. Firestones are much more expensive than Wards, not because of quality but because of the name and how they look. The only reason for one brand to outlast any other would be that it may have a tread that wears better. I've been told that the NON SKID tread wears faster than others. Maybe somebody who drives a lot would be willing to put four different popular brands on a car, rotate them every thousand miles, and see if there's any appreciable difference in how they last.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Benp
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Perfitt
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Benp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:43 pm

That is correct about all clincher (aka beaded edge) tires being produced in Vietnam. The owner of Blockley Tyre confirmed that they were all made in “Vietnam or Thailand — nowhere else was interested”. So I take that to mean Blockley’s too come from there, but to his design and out of his molds/tooling + purchased stock of rubber — not their’s.
The Blockley 30x3.5” diamond tread are new, however he has produced other pattern clincher/beaded edge tires for 20 years and they are speed-rated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JlQeCeExs. (Holy cow!)
As the diamond tread are new, a US importer hasn’t yet stepped up. I got a quote for shipping to my door in the US for $187 for 5 two weeks ago — still competitive. Though as mentioned, I’m not placing an order til May - so I don’t know what tariff/duties may be. I too have been dinged when ordering a small ($20) part from a supplier in England in the past.
Personally I just don’t care about price. Not one bit. It’s safety/quality I’m after and I’m through with Vietnam Cokers. Finished. Done. I was already prepared to buy straight-side rims if I had to.
I will let you all know what the tariffs/duties are in May. I am just beside myself with anticipation. Can’t even tell you, though my 35hp engine certainly doesn’t need the speed rating the owner of Blockley required for throwing his Bugatti’s and Sunbeam‘s around the track. Which is exactly why he started producing them 20 some years ago — the ultra low speeds the typical clincher-tired car is capable of has allowed Coker et. al. to get away with what they have.
Those days are over,
Ben P.

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31 am

I would love to think that the entry of Blockley into the market for clincher tyres for our model T's would finally lead to the present suppliers specifying products of quality acceptable for purpose. But, I am not holding my breath! Rather, I will vote with my dollars and reward Blockley for their enterprise, rather than do so for those who have held us to ransom with inferior products for so many years.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic