Speedster look alikes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Speedster look alikes

Post by Dennis_Brown » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Is anyone running a T that looks like a speedster but using a stock engine , no auxiliary transmissions and a standard or Ruxtel rear end. Something for fun and unconcerned with speed.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Speedster look alikes

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Dennis_Brown wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 pm
Is anyone running a T that looks like a speedster but using a stock engine , no auxiliary transmissions and a standard or Ruxtel rear end. Something for fun and unconcerned with speed.
That is my intent. More for fun than go. Engine will not be stock externally - making it look more "speedy" - but using period correct items. Using a plan I found on the internet as a guide. Got a ways to go
Attachments
Chasis dimensions.png
Chasis dimensions.png (273.8 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
IMG_0070.JPG
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

rosenkranswa
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Rosenkrans
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touriing
MTFCI Number: 22021

Post by rosenkranswa » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 am

I'm currently working on one that is rock standard underneath, with a minimalist body. Using stock 1926 engine, 1917 fenders, early box hood, etc. I did install RM brakes as it will be for my daughter. She's not interested in speed either, more an accessory I think for her vintage outfits. We went to the T Centennial in 2008 where she saw quite a few young ladies bombing around in speedsters - she's wanted her own ever since...

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am

Folks when building a body the key is that it fits you and possibly the next person in line. Seen a lot of period correct bodies in my day and built many for others. They may look cool, but there is nothing worst than driving a car that is uncomfortable. Ergonomics is the key! Comfort with control. You can build a period correct body with tweaks here and there, but we are not the stature these people were 90 plus years ago.

Just trying to help,

Hank

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am

My speedster has a T motor and a Ruckstell. The hot rod parts are a low head, distributor and a Simmons carb. It's very comfortable for long drives and moves right along.
IMG_4147.JPG
20190901_144316.jpg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:50 am

Hank, Point well taken. Lets face it people were much smaller in stature back then and "we" need a bit more elbow room. So I'm intending to have off-set seats, passenger slightly behind drive as in a PACO. I have purchased seats, retro Mini-Cooper, because of my target body width (it also has guide rails to slide forward or backward a bit and extra thigh support). I made a mock-up using foam board using the blueprint of the plans I found on the internet (previous photos). The next step is to determine the drivers seat position (combination for steering wheel, pedal reach and seat tilt). Then the passenger position to fit within desired car body contours. The to redo all the foam board shapes and positions before cutting wood. and then.......
b7baff0d539174adace954faeb749e6f.jpg
b7baff0d539174adace954faeb749e6f.jpg (16.34 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Attachments
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (11.02 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

spadpilot
First Name: David
Last Name: Carnahan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 49550

Post by spadpilot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm

IMG_7646.jpg
In line with Hank and Frank's comments on ergonomics, I'm building a modified Currier speedster....I am 6'2" - 275lbs and MaryAnn is a slender 5'11", so as you can see, there is a fit issue. The Currier Speedster has a very long hood and that requires lowering the steering column significantly, otherwise the steering wheel will be over your head. Things became even more complicated with the addition of a Vega steering box. At this point I threw up my hands and appealed to Hank Lee for ideas.....he had a solution within minutes. Please see the attached photos. Hank also brought up the idea of ergonomics and suggested tilting the seat back and installing tracks for adjusting the seat position. These tracks came out of a Ford F-150 and were modified the fit the width on my seat. The seat is hinged at the front to allow access to a custom tool box. The last order of business was the modification of a Spencer Fat Man steering wheel as once it was installed the bottom of the rim touched the seat cushion. Hank cut down the spider and had a 14" rim built to replace the 17" rim....et viola! I fit. Also, note the carriage steps...these were attached to a modified running board bracket and use the same frame holes for mounting.

Give me a shout if you have any questions, suggestions or need clarifications.

Apparently I can only attach 5 pictures to a message.....will make a 2nd posting with more photos.

Best
Dave Carnah
Attachments
IMG_7650.jpg
IMG_7649.jpg
IMG_7648.jpg
IMG_7647.jpg
...some people are like Slinkies....they're generally useless but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

spadpilot

Post by spadpilot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Further photos:
Attachments
IMG_7658.jpg
IMG_7657.jpg
IMG_7656.jpg
IMG_7654.jpg
IMG_7653.jpg
...some people are like Slinkies....they're generally useless but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

spadpilot

Post by spadpilot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:33 pm

....and a few more
Attachments
IMG_7659.jpg
IMG_7658.jpg
IMG_7657.jpg

spadpilot

Post by spadpilot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm

...and apologies for the sideways pictures.
-dc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic