Where does this starter peice go

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Where does this starter peice go

Post by tdump » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:24 pm

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5021PS.aspx
I can't for the life of me figure out where this goes.I am going over a starter to see what I need to order and so far all I thought I needed was a brush end bushing as all my other parts from 3 starters to make 1 are in great shape otherwise.
But when i was looking down the list I saw this and I am like,Where does that go?
The vhs video helped a good bit as I had bought a growler at a flea market but had not used it yet. I tried and it and followed the fellow on the video and was able to learn how to use the tool and check my T parts to.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: Where does this starter peice go

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:32 pm

It goes in a very small hole on the inside of the weight on the bendix drive gear. The pin end of the pin presses against the major diameter of the bendix threads to prevent the gear from creeping towards the flywheel when the engine is running.

Stephen

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Ok,So what is a good way to determine if i need to replace this? I guess the picture had me thinking it was a huge part! :lol:

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:50 pm

It is extremely unlikely that you will have to replace this part unless your spring is broken. As long as the pin is not damaged and the spring is not broken, you don't have to worry about it.
Stephen

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 pm

There is a good chance that little pin and spring are missing. They seem to go absent without leave quite often while in service. Fitting a replacement requires the removal of the bearing collar on the bendix. There are tricks to this process. Ask on the forum if you need to.

Allan from down under.

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Mack
The correct name is "anti drift pin "
It works as Stephan H. pointed out.
Many early Model T Ford Bendix drives did not include this part.
Ron Patterson

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks to all that helped me on this. I found the little TINY bugger and it is intact and functioning! The tiny spring holds tension on the pin and I can lift it with the screw driver and feel a difference in how the gear would move along it's way.
So Thanks again,But my bendix has it and it's good.
1 thing,like I said,the picture makes this thing look like it is the size of a valve or something and I had been working with this stuff all afternoon and when I saw that I am like,"Just where does that go?" :shock:
I have sub assemblys setting around the shop,headlights,engine,transmission apart, and a long list of parts for all this and I wanted to go thru my starter and generator to add any needed parts to the list.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Ron, that may explain why I have found so many to be missing! Were all the counterweights drilled to accept the pin?

Allan from down under.

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:34 am

Alan
Many of the early Bendix drive counter weights are not drilled for the Anti Drift Pin.
Ron Patterson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic