Can someone who speaks French help? Looking for a higher resolution photo of this T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Can someone who speaks French help? Looking for a higher resolution photo of this T

Post by Rob » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I need help Finding a higher resolution copy of the T racer below. The source is a French website. I believe the source is a national library:
IMG_1580.PNG
2nd photo showing the driver, Henri Depasse, French Ford Agent and his mechanician. The car was set to run in the June 1911 light car race at Boulogne France;
IMG_1578.PNG
The racer was declared ineligible due to a non-standard motor and body. The racer was under weight according to rules and since it was not stock it wasn't allowed to run. This article from "Motor" magazine describes the race, and the Ford situation:
IMG_1582.PNG
I've tried searching "gallica.bnf.fr with no success because the site is in French. Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob

A colorized version of the racer:
IMG_1581.JPG

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Can someone who speaks French help? Looking for a higher resolution photo of this T

Post by DLodge » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Rob, I went to the link you gave and it was in English. Looked closer and saw that it had defaulted to the English version of the website. In the upper right-hand corner, you should see a two-letter abbreviation with a down-arrow. The three options are FR (French), EN (English) and IT (Italian). Try changing it to EN and see if that helps.

davidn
First Name: David
Last Name: Norton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: Can someone who speaks French help? Looking for a higher resolution photo of this T

Post by davidn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi Rob, Check whether you think the photo at
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b6915856t
looks a bit clearer? HTH, David

davidn

Post by davidn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Rob, for the second photo, the website's search:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/ ... 29&filter=

The ninth photo on the second page of results is:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... k=515024;0

davidn

Post by davidn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Another photo of Depasse:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... =1866962;0

Search images with publication date 1911 and containing Boulogne and Ford:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/ ... 29&filter=

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm

The French have a long history of eliminating the opposition in racing. They disqualified the Mini Cooper S after it won the Monte Carlo rally, on the technicality that its headlights dipped to the wrong side.

Allan from down under.

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

There are some terrific photos of that race on Gallica.

Coupe_des_voiturettes_à_Boulogne_[...]Agence_de_btv1b90194794_1.jpeg
Coupe des voiturettes à Boulogne sur Mer : Zuccarelli en course : [photographie de presse] / Agence Meurisse
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... 0sur%20mer

Coupe_des_voiturettes_à_Boulogne_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9019485v_1.jpeg
Coupe des voiturettes à Boulogne sur Mer, Zuccarelli sur Hispano-Suiza : [photographie de presse] / Agence Meurisse

Coupe_des_voiturettes_à_Boulogne_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9019480s_1.jpeg
Coupe des voiturettes à Boulogne sur Mer : le moteur de l'Hispano Suiza de Zuccarelli : [photographie de presse] / Agence Meurisse

Boulogne_25-6-11_La_Peugeot_de_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b69159068_1.jpeg
Boulogne, 25-6-11, La Peugeot de Zuccarelli après son accident [Coupe des voitures légères] : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

As noted on Gallica.bnf.fr, these images are all royalty free for non-commercial

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 pm

I think I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

La_Targa_Florio___Sofia_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9022008s_1.jpeg
La Targa Florio : Sofia sur Ford : [photographie de presse] / Agence Meurisse
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... tem.r=ford

Topic author
Rob
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 am

Thank you for the great links. I agree, this rabbit hole may take me through part of February.

These are much higher resolution that what I had. This shows Henri Depasse and his mechanician during the pre-Grand Prix Voiturette race. This is the Ford Special racer sent from Detroit. Initiall reports were that Frank Kulick would drive the racer. However, Kulick had a full schedule in the U.S. racing Ford special racers throughout the country during 1911.
IMG_1589.JPG
One article reports this is about a 300 cubic inch engine, meaning it may be the same size as the one in our Ford Special project. While the Ford was prevented from making the race, it was allowed to run in the 1 Kilometer races, being timed at 69 mph over one Km:
IMG_1606.PNG
The Ford Special was readied for the Gran Prix to be held in July, shedding the speedster body. Unfortunately the racer wrecked while running over the course, and Depasse's mechanician was killed:
IMG_1191.PNG
Still, the Ford was rebuilt and made the Mont Ventoux hill climb, coming in second in all classes.
IMG_1607.PNG

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am

Why is there a license plate in the photo of the wrecked car?
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Ok sorry I see it now in the later photo.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm

These were road races, so I suspect most of the cars had license plates, even if not displayed during the competition.

This Lion-Peugeot came in second in the light car race Ford was a excluded from. You can see a license plate just below the cross on the radiator, to the left of center:
IMG_1611.JPG
This six cylinder Rossel ran in the hill climb (Ford took 2nd). There is a license plate barely visible below the semi elliptic springs, seen through the right front wheel spokes. Ford beat both cars on the hill climb:
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks Allan, Dick, John and all. I've found quite a lot of info (and learning a few words of French) in French digital archives. I've known a Ford racer was sent to France to run in the Grand Prix in 1911, and that it wrecked and didn't make the race. I didn't know the racer was denied entry due to weight (or lack of) the first of four events it was scheduled to run in. I also didnt' know the racer was a Ford Special capable of over 80 mph, and that it ran in two other well known and publicized events. I'll start another thread with some of the info. I checked my copy of "Ford Racing Histroy" and found nothing of this adventure. I also googled Ford racing in France and found nothing. Looks like we need to recover more early Ford history.
IMG_1723.JPG

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 am

Well, I am all for reading about French Ford racing history! This is some incredible stuff!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic