Multiple coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pat Branigan Wisc
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Branigan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 two1910, two1911, 1913 Tourings
MTFCA Number: 52262

Multiple coils

Post by Pat Branigan Wisc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 pm

I find it interesting that Henry used multiple coils (one for each cyl) on the T and how the manufacturers are using multiple coils today. Not having to have the Hi tension path threw moving parts as a rotor and cap. I also hope that most people on the forum understand how simple a coil is and how it works. Being nothing but a transformer needing AC or intermittent DC to perform. The reason I posted this was a mechanic friend of mine for years did not understand the concept.

Jeff Perkins
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Perkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 10642
MTFCI Number: 17799
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Multiple coils

Post by Jeff Perkins » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 am

Just one of many examples of what is old is new on today’s automobiles!
1913 Model T Runabout,
1926 Model T Touring,
1948 Chrysler New Yorker,
1991 Mazda Miata

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:40 am

A while back I was looking at a new Chevy pick-up. The sales person was a very young man, maybe 25 or so. He was enthusiastically explaining to me the fact that the truck had a coil for each cylinder. I sad, "Really? I have a 1918 Ford truck at home that has the same thing." I wish I had anticipated his expresstion. Priceless. :lol:

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 am

The timer functions in a similar manner as a modern cam position sensor also... ;)
And of course the T transmission is the forerunner of the automatic transmission.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 am

While the concept of inductive discharge spark ignition is fairly simple to understand, attaining good engine performance in the Model T requires a little more knowledge and skill. That is because the multiple coils in the Model T each must be properly adjusted for equal and consistent dwell time to fire spark or engine performance will be degraded.

It is relatively easy to adjust the multiple coils sufficiently to get the engine to "Run" even with significant cylinder to cylinder ignition timing variation attributed to coils all firing at different times. But a smooth running engine with optimal power requires the all 4 coils be adjusted for equal firing time using the proper tools. There is typically a marked improvement in engine performance.

Distributors became a popular after market add on back in the day because they provided great engine performance with greater ease (no special tools, knowledge or skills needed). They did that by eliminating the need to adjust 4 coils for the same dwell time to fire spark by replacing the 4 independent coils/points with 1 coil/points actuated by CAM position. Today, modern technology makes it easy to precisely adjust all 4 Model T coils for equal and consistent firing time. No need to suffer the stigma of non-original after market add ons to enjoy excellent engine performance in a Model T.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic