I Timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

I Timer

Post by Divcoone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm

I am interested in anything negative about the I Timer.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: I Timer

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Robert, You might also ask about any problems with the ETimer as well cause I believe you'll find very few id\f anybody that has had a problem with either timers.
I know several guys that have the ETimers that will never give them up because of the super performance they get with no maintenance
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

Post by Don ellis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:31 pm

I love mine, no problems what so ever.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 am

I will be following this thread, if it gets any responses. I don't have a magneto, just a 6V battery. I am planning to buy an E-Timer after I get a few miles on the car. Next week will be my 2-year anniversary of owning my Runabout and I still have not driven it past the end of my driveway. It should be back together and drivable in a few weeks.

rnwilliams
First Name: Ricky
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 12 Com. Rdstr, 12 Delivery, 2-12 Tou, 15 Tou, 21 Cpe, 25 Cpe 25 TT, 26 TT, 27TT, 26 PU, 26 Tou, 2-26 4dr, 26 Del, 27 4dr
MTFCA Number: 28991
MTFCI Number: 23852

Post by rnwilliams » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am

I have two I timers. I love them! NO Problems. I have a shelf full of other timers.
Richard Williams, Humboldt, TN
President, Tennessee T's inc.

Matt_A_1926
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Atchinson

Post by Matt_A_1926 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 am

While I have not run an E or I timer, i have followed many posts including from the creator of them. While the idea of the E or I timer may not flow with more purist guys, I think both seem like phenomenal products. Better timing and ignition that's all around more consistent leading to better engine performance: what's not to like!? I think Model T guys are very lucky to have intelligent minds out there willing to put in work like this.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 am

As far as I know, the only negative is that you need battery current to start the car. If your battery is flat dead, you can't hand-crank the car on magneto and get it started. You have to start on battery and switch to magneto while the engine is running. That is really the only thing that has prevented me from purchasing one for my regular driver. Other than that, I think the deck is stacked in it’s favor.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm

The ignition system of a Model T.
1. Magneto, four induction coils, and a mechanical timer, and back up for exciting coils - six dry cells. And a crank to stat the motor.
2. Magneto, four induction coils, and a mechanical timer, and six volt wet cell and crank to start motor. (Battery charged by either AC or DC volts.) If AC a wet rectifier
2a. Magneto, four induction coils, a master coil, and a mechanical timer...etc
3. Magneto, four induction coils, and a mechanical timer, and six volt wet cell and an electric starter with a generator to charge the wet cell battery. Also a back up crank in case the battery is flat.
4. Magneto, four induction coils, and a distributor, and six volt wet cell and an electric started and a hand crank to start motor. (Battery charged by either AC or DC volts.)
5. Single coil and distributor. Magneto removed. or disconnected. And six volt wet cell and, electric starter, including a hand crank to start motor. (Battery charged by either AC or DC volts.)
6. A magic box with its own brain. Magneto removed. or disconnected. And six volt wet cell, even up graded to 12 volts, electric starter, may be an alternator, and hand crank to start motor. (Battery charged by either AC or DC volts.)
7. Internal combustion original motor replaced. Large electric motor, and rear earth battery to operate motor. Optional solar panel to charge battery.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:01 pm

$68.95 for the Anderson style vs. $399.95 for the I Timer... :o
Last edited by Tim Rogers on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Nice pictures but after 10,000 miles or more that I Timer will look and still be performing just like new. I like the Andersons but have wore out two of them and it's Very difficult to get the cylinder timing correct. The cover must be centered and the bending of the tabs is critical. Then comes the wear factor and spring bounce at higher RPMs. It works good and better than the roller IMHO.

I was most pleased when Mike Kossor offered his timer that was built inside an original Ford timer but with unmatched performance! I liked the fact I could change it back to original in a matter of really seconds. I dislike seeing Disys on Stock Model T's. It really distracts from the Model T's unique ignition system I really like to hear those coils BUZZING! On a speedster that's a total different thing with many aftermarket mods, a missing magneto and other period options.

These timers Kossor is making are a perfect solution to be able to keep driving your T after the mag fails. They also are a great solution to someone who drives his car a lot and wants optimum performance, doesn't want or know how to do the constant maintenance needed with the different T timers. They have certainly proved how dependable they are having been service many years and many thousands of miles. If every aftermarket T part was as well made as these timers are there would be nobody posting here about why they have to modify their replacement parts just to fit their car!

Thanks Mike for providing us with such a great T product!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Divcoone
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Thanks for the replys.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Extremely happy with my E-Timer. What I like is that it's just a drop in replacement for the mechanical timer with no alterations required (I set my coils up so the points don't need bridging). Even the timing rod didn't need adjusting! And, not forgetting it's built into an authentic timer casing.
But, best of all is the timing will remain perfect, and consistent, forever. It's true that mechanical timers can work very well, although the Anderson's timing changes as it wears, but having tried the E-Timer on loan, the difference was obvious and I had to have one. Having said that, I drive my car fast, often, and for long distances, so it's more justifiable in my instance, than if I had the type of car that's just driven around the block a couple of times a year.

bobt
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 am

I timer or E timer. Is there a difference?

vech
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Vechorik
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1922 coupe
MTFCA Number: 32602

Re:E Timer

Post by vech » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 am

First, I bought an E timer for my 1915, and I was so impressed with it, (NO more problems with loosing a cylinder when running) I bought another one and put it on our 1922 coupe. Both cars perform flawlessly now, (with freshly tuned coils) and I am very pleased with the E timer. Both cars are now maintenance free, in regards to the timers. Of course, one must replace the cam seal with a modern lipped seal, before installing the timer, but that is no big deal. :D
"If a fly can, a flywheel" :shock:

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:12 pm

bobt wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 am
I timer or E timer. Is there a difference?
The E-Timer works on battery only and has automatic timing adjustment (which can be enabled or disabled). It's operation is such that it takes place of the coil points; that is to say it acts as a master vibrator. This means the coil points are no longer operational and you can in fact use coils with no points provided their connection is bridged out. It's ideal for cars with no magneto, or where the owner does not wish to rebuild and adjust coils.
The I-Timer mimics the operation of a mechanical timer in that it works on magneto as well as battery, and the coils must be set up correctly. The timing must also be adjusted manually.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:20 pm

The E-Timer is an Electronic Timer for the Model T housed in a high quality reproduction Ford timer case and is immune to timing cover misalignment. It uses the original coils and original wiring without any modifications to the car or wiring. The coil points are bypassed with tiny fuse jumpers so you don't have to bother with coil point adjustment or maintenance for the coils to function properly. The E-Timer charges and fires the coils precisely synchronized with piston position using maintenance free, non-contact hall sensors to sense CAM position. The coils still vibrate and buzz providing the sound and appearance of stock operation but engine performance is remarkably improved. The E-Timer operates on 6V-12V battery which eliminates all magneto variables. The E-Timer internal computer monitors engine RPM and provides Automatic Timing Advance (ATA) that frees the driver from the burden of continually adjusting the spark lever for optimal power as engine speed changes while operating on battery. Engine performance is comparable to magneto operation. The E-Timer can be set for Manual Timing mode where the spark lever must be manually adjusted operating on battery as usual if preferred.

The I-Timer is a direct, drop in, replacement for the stock Model T mechanical timer that provides precise coil activation and never needs maintenance. Start on battery and run on Magneto or battery as usual. The I-Timer is immune to timing cover misalignment and provides precise and uniform ignition coil activation without contact wiper bounce, skip, wear, arcing or other flaws associated with mechanical timers and does not require periodic maintenance or replacement. Engine performance remains largely dependent on coil point condition and adjustment. All 4 coils must be properly maintained and adjusted for equal and consistent firing time for optimal engine performance.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic