Damage Theory

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Damage Theory

Post by RustyFords » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:41 pm

I've wondered, since I bought my car, how this damage was done to the passenger side fender.
CBFE3098-717D-43C6-A089-88474A90615B.JPG
Then I saw this photo and it looks like my car could've had a different brace on it than the one it does now....one the like one in the photo that would require such a hole in the fender.
ERT_V1VWAAIQ5eQ.jpg
Heck...for a second I thought that might even be my car with a different body on it because my car had previously had extra front spring clamps on it. But I think the car in the photo is a TT.

Any thoughts?
1924 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Damage Theory

Post by DanTreace » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:57 pm

That type of fender brace didn't need a hatchet chop to mount. Those and others required the two inner most fender bracket plate rivets to be removed, and then use bolts and nuts to secure the brace.
IMG_7902 (450x338).jpg
IMG_7902 (450x338).jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 6610 times

IMO, that damage was from an outboard strike.

Could have been done by an errant fan blade.

Or someone thought a ravine there would be handy place to prop one side of the hood open.

Most likely a stress facture, the inner bracket plate terminates about there, leaving the fender metal free to flop and crack.

Obviously, adding the wrap around fender brace is a good idea. :)
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I've always thought it looks like unintentional damage of some sort too Dan.
1924 Touring

Dan B
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm

Wouldn’t you love to know??

I think it would take some quick and sharp force to tear the metal like that. None of the other metal around it seems to be deformed including that bead right next to it.
1923 Touring

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Ah, think I have it. ;)

One owner of that T was a lumber jack. So he carried saws and things on the rear floorboard. BUT.....

His most handy tool was an 8' pike pole. Can't fit that in the rear seat.

So....he laid it over the front and rear fenders, nice way to carry fish poles and lumber too.

However the spike on that pike pole bounced down on that front fender, and after a few chuckholes in that dang road, damage! :o
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:40 pm

That damage is a puncture. Enlarge the photo and you will see the edge of the brace is nicked. Fatigued sheet metai will crack, but a rigidly riveted area will loosen and crack thru a rivet hole if the rivets become loose. A slight bend that works back and forth will fatigue and crack ALONG THE BENDING area only. A puncture hole starts out as a stretch around the penetrating object, this in turn carries the future hole edges down from the surface which action results in a puncture hole. These fender hole edges are classic puncture edges. :D
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 pm

This damage looks to me like a broken off fan blade that hit the side of the fender and punctured it.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 pm

I think Ron got it correct. The trajectory of a loose fan blade would be slighty upward from that side. Probably no hood, as its doubtful a blade would penetrate a hood panel and still have enough energy to pierce the fender skirt.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:18 pm

I doubt a fan blade had anything to do with the damage. A flying blade would have a trajectory almost parallel to the inner fender panel, resulting in a sliding contact, which would surely have been impeded by the rolled edge of the fender top surface. There is no damage to that rolled edge. The rolling of the edge of the damaged area indicates to me a considerable downward force was responsible for the penetration. The dent to the top of the fender need not be connected to the puncture incident.

Allan from down under.

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 pm

I agree with Ron, fan blade.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:52 pm

It might have been caused by a meteor.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Nice forensic theorizing Allan. I’m a fan of the thrown blade idea but you talked me out of it. Who knows ?
"Get a horse !"

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 pm

The dent to the top of the fender need not be connected to the puncture incident.
Well...speculation may be it IS connected.

Seems Mr. Diddledo.... got sooo tired trying to get that stubborn Ford running again.....

In fit of heated disgust :x , he grabbed his pick axe...

and swung a terrible blow upon that Ford...

...so hard that the wood handle dented the crown, and the pick dug deep into the heavy sheetmetal of the fender, leaving that gash of despair :shock:

IMG_1685.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 6207 times

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Do you still have the original hood that came with the car? If it was the fan blade the hood would have a good lick on it. But then again maybe the hood was off or?????

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 am

This vehicle was STABBED TO DEATH years ago. :lol:
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 pm

“Father, I cannot tell a lie. I did it with my little hatchet.”
"Get a horse !"

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Someone tried to repair a warp in the fender, but ended up doing a hack job? :lol:

I'll take separated fan blades for 100, Alex! When you look at the slot, it came from the bottom traveling up, and was stopped by the lip in the top of the fender. If it were something come down from aboce, it would have either nicked the top surface, or the bottom of the hole would be larger than the top. Instead, it looks like a blade that cut loose from the bottom of the fan into the sheet metal of the apron, went sideways into the fender, and stopped there.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 am

Don, my laughter meter is in the red tonight. Your Touring just might have the Avery Truck syndrome. :lol:
Spittin' fan blades out.
On the other hand:
I vote you put some chicken-poo weld of yours on that fender and get about the business of trying to wear that Ford completely out.
It ain't done yet. ;)
Interesting...
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Duey_C wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 am
Don, my laughter meter is in the red tonight. Your Touring just might have the Avery Truck syndrome. :lol:
Spittin' fan blades out.
On the other hand:
I vote you put some chicken-poo weld of yours on that fender and get about the business of trying to wear that Ford completely out.
It ain't done yet. ;)
Interesting...
No worries in that dept Duane....I'm doing my best to wear out this little car. I drive it every chance I get!

I really like the remaining bits of damage to the car (including the gash) and have no intention of reparing any of it unless it's causing structural problems. Perfect cars are awesome and I've had many, but this car tells a story that makes it so much more interesting. :D :D :D

I drove it to the big Conroe Swap Meet a few weeks back and had several people walk around the car, running their hands over all the dents and bruises and comment/speculate about the car's history and what it might've seen. You just don't get that with a really nice car. First of all, you don't really want them touching your $8K paint job and second, once the car is made perfect, much of the history disappears.

Don't get me wrong....I love a nicely done car. My 54 Ford is about to get one hell of a nice paint job and new interior, but my goodness I love this old beat up Model T....so much so that I can't adequately put it into words.
1924 Touring

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:39 pm

What a neat post Don. :) Tho I'm not surprised your Touring got some good attention at the show. Then ya drove it away. :)
The rusty old clunker out here in the yard is similar. Golly day is he loved by this bunch.
Drift: Have extra time lately. Maybe his turn in "back to the living" is sooner than I can see. Been considering dropping some coils off on Andy's deck, doing up a coil box, digging up a commutator and putting a proper ignition system in it.
Bosch parts lately are :evil: . I don't like the condensers.
"once the car is made perfect, much of the history disappears."
That notion is in another hobby and the exact reason I'm leaving a lot of things "as they are" on an OT project. Welds and wounds.
New and Hot (remember that from the J C Whitney catalogs?) engine on this one but the rest of him looks all used up. I like that.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic