Shade Tree Cam End Float Fix - Adjustable Too :-)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Shade Tree Cam End Float Fix - Adjustable Too :-)

Post by A Whiteman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:55 pm

When sorting T parts my eye caught the variations in the Timing Cover Plate design (our Ts are Canadian, but I guess they copied the US versions closely). I have 2 pre-generator plates and 5 generator plates each different in terms of webs, heights of oil filler, baffles etc. There may be more variations but this is what I got from a pile of 8 plates! 90% variation rate. I will post them up when I clean them a bit more.

This got me to look a little closer when I noticed one with three set screws put in. I scratched my head about that as the cover plate did not seem to have any damage or reason why it needed set screws added. Taking a cam gear and placing it on the inside of the cover and all (seems) to become clear.

Two of the set screws line up nicely with the flat edge of the gear. The third I think was drilled in the wrong place.

My thought is that these are for end float adjustment. Just screw them in a bit more and - voila - no more noise. Your analysis of my theory are welcome :-)

Cheers

Adrian
20200404_103844.jpg
20200404_103838.jpg

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Re: Shade Tree Cam End Float Fix - Adjustable Too :-)

Post by Harry Lillo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Brilliant solution and extraordinarily simple!
I enjoy seeing solutions like this,
Harry.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: Shade Tree Cam End Float Fix - Adjustable Too :-)

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 pm

It might be a good idea to think about what the tips of those screws would do to the rim of a cam gear over time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic