Free Start

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Free Start

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 am

Richard G says free starts are hard on cranks. Why? and How? I can't see how it would be any harder on it than starting with a crank or starter?
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Free Start

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am

I don't see either. It isn't firing under load. Going up a hill would seem to be harder on it but I'm no Fizasist. <;Oo
Rich
When did I do that?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm

I think it has something to do with the "shock" to the crank when it fires without revelution started. I think it was discussed last year in a thread. I could be all wet to.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Dallas, that's the explanation that was given on that thread as I recall it. Like Rich, I find it hard to believe either that the stock T crank is not robust enough to absorb the impulse of a free start, or that it amounts to a great deal more sudden torque than hand cranking or engaging an electric starter. For one thing, ignition of a cylinder charge of fuel mixture doesn't result in an "explosion" but a radial "burn". When it comes to broken crankshafts, I'd think running for extended periods mis-timed, with intermittent "missing" as might be the case with a bad coil, high compression heads and loose rods may in part contribute to hastening the failure of century-old forgings. JMHO
"Get a horse !"

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Our 1912 free starts all the time,and has been doing it since 1960, now I did break the crank after 103 years. I think after 103 years it just got brittle, even cold if I pull it over once and then turn it on it starts. So I can't see free starts breaking a crank. Just my opinion Cheers From Winnipeg

24t
First Name: kenneth
Last Name: bechtel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 tudor

Post by 24t » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm

The electric starter probably gives a harder jolt than a free start . just thinking again .

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I can think of a dozen malfunctions and/or operator errors that I would say are harder on a crank than a free start.

My old man, once in a while, in a parade at too slow a speed, would let the clutch out into high and throttle it up and make the car buck like a rodeo steer !!

I don't think the crank has been changed in 50 some years...

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 am

Can anyone here say they have broken a crank or seen it happen during a free start event?

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 am

Erik Barrett wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 am
Can anyone here say they have broken a crank or seen it happen during a free start event?
Erik we have a logical problem here. If the engine breaks it is not free;)

Pops
First Name: David
Last Name: Houston
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13,14,19,21,&etc
MTFCA Number: 32227
MTFCI Number: 23901

Post by Pops » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 am

Mine broke going up a hill, going from low pedal to high pedal when I pulled the throttle down.(broke the crankshaft,bent the rod and the rod hit the camshaft and bent it)
Pops

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm

My thought is "what was happening at the time it broke" was only the final straw which broke the proverbial camel's back. When I Magnafluxed the crankshaft from my '26 roadster's worn out sawmill engine which had been sitting for many years, I found 4 cracks. The other interesting fact was the crank measured .030" runout (TIR) on the center main with the 2 end mains on V blocks. It had probably taken a set over the last 50 years resting in bearings that were likely adjusted for clearance but ended up .015" out of alignment. In this case, I'm guessing rotary fatigue caused by misalignment played a big part in propagating the cracks. Well, needless to say, I did not use that crankshaft.

The Model T crank encounters a lot of stress over it's life, and cracks, if they start, continue growing until that final straw is added. Bill

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Nothing free about a broken crank.🤑

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

This was Ford's position on free starts, in 1907.

Also good advice when meeting a horse:
IMG_2813.PNG
IMG_2814.PNG

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Rob, thank you much for posting that from the Model K manual.

So, according to Ford, a "start on the spark" (aka a "free start") can break a crankshaft, but then it's stated that "Ford shafts are extra heavy to meet this condition . . ." So they ain't worried ? and so it's up to you ? :o Was this before vanadium steel ? Does that matter ?

(Still good advice regarding horses ! ;) )
"Get a horse !"

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 pm

All the broken cranks that I have seen on the forum were cracked before they broke and all had the signs of fatigue failure. None showed a sudden break because of a heavy load or torque. A fatigue failure is caused by repeated back and forth bending, just like breaking a paper clip by bending it back and forth for a while. The free start is a one time load on the crankshaft and not a back and forth bending. Whether the load from the free start is enough to stress the crank or not, it is not a source of fatigue failure.

There has been lots of speculation on the forum about the source of the back and forth bending that leads to the fatigue failure. Mis-alignment of the 4 main bearings has been brought up over and over. Another possible source of the back and forth bending is the periodic power pulse, especially when lugging the engine. My personal thought is that there is a natural frequency twisting in the assembly of the crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Right around WW II dampeners were added to the front of crankshafts on 6 cylinder engines to keep the torsional vibration in check to prevent the crankshafts from breaking.

If your crankshaft has 40,000 miles on it, the crank has been twisted back and forth about 200 million times.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 pm

I would suspect that misaligned 4th mains and worn out 4th mains, period, are one of the biggest contributors to crankshaft stress and ultimate failure.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 am

THANK YOU ROB! you guys can inject all your this and that's on this subject why then is the t the only one born with this problem. I just read ROS post, that says it all, don't it .i'm going to bed with a big SMILE.

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 am

I blame Russian collusion.
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

samuel pine
First Name: samuel
Last Name: pine
Board Member Since: 2004

Post by samuel pine » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 am

Things or anything could break or snap caused by shock more so when cold. With its low compression a free
start won't hurt anything. High gear lugging not good for any engine. I have been doing this since I was a kid,
take a ride engine running at its sweet spot. Stop it.> don't retard it put to idle & shut down, turn key to batt then
retard spark then instant start 9 out of 10 times. Even after after days turned key retard it instant start.
The modern new junk snaps cranks too don't ya know. Remembering back in the 70s we had about 60 Gmc
school buses with 350 gas and with their massive crank pulleys they would snap right behind the timing gear,
these were new buses so, gov't motors paid for that.. Told my uncle he should have bought Fords with the
HD 391 FTs....... just rambling again............sam

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 11.59.38 AM.png

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic