Head Issues

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich in Colorado
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Carlson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Center Door 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50369

Head Issues

Post by Rich in Colorado » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:53 pm

The '22 center door I bought in September leaked coolant out the front of the engine so I went in to replace the head gasket.

This is what I found. I'm new to Model T's but besides no copper sealant used, what's wrong with this picture??? :lol:

Regards,
Rich
Rich in Colorado
1922 Model T Center Door
1923 Model T Touring
1928 Model A Tudor
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1966 Ford F250 Camper Special

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Head Issues

Post by TWrenn » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Looks like it's on backwards. Look at the semi-circular holes in the block vs. whats on your gasket. That's the tell-tale.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:12 pm

The picture doesn't show well enough, and has been sized to small to blow up for enough detail. So I can't be certain from the picture.
However, I suspect the head gasket was installed backwards/upside-down. The water passageway the "bumps out front and rear has a front and back. The difference is small, and for some reason a lot of people insist on putting them on wrong. The difference, being small means it quite often works okay backwards. One of the cars I had a couple years ago had that done to it by a previous owner. It worked fine. One thing and another I never got around to correcting it and it was still working fine when I had to sell it.
Lack of the copper spray usually doesn't cause trouble. It is a good idea to use it, but it wasn't around when the cars were new, and being fairly low compression they don't really need it.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 pm

If the leak is at the front where the outer edge of the large front gallery is, the block may well be low at that point. It should be checked with a good straight edge. Any low spot can be compensated for by inserting brass shimstock of suitable thickness between the gasket filler material and the copper outer. Use your usual gasket sealer and tension as usual.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 pm

Was cause of your leak at the front edge, that gasket, being placed in error, had its 'big' rear outlet hole placed up front. That let little gasket to seal as it overhung the front of the block. New gasket will fix.

And do use favorite sealer (alum paint or Copper Coat) on that gasket, minor surface depressions in head or block surface can prevent good seal.

Here is comparison a copper gasket placed dry, without sealer, note carbon blow-by, and another copper gasket with alum pigment spray enamel, which looks like the best seal? ;)

IMG_8479 (590x443) (540x405).jpg
IMG_8479 (590x443) (540x405).jpg (122.66 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic