O.T. how did you get your sweetie to support your T addiction?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

O.T. how did you get your sweetie to support your T addiction?

Post by ironhorse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 am

My better half and I are coming up on our 38th anniversary and are starting to plan for a 40th celebration.
This got me thinking our partners put up with a lot (coming in the house dirty, smelling like oil and spending a lot of time with the mechanical mistress etc!) My wife tells everyone that when we got married I told her I was a sailor and gave her a choice of cars or bars... either way we would end up penniless and destitute (she chose cars) then she says she chose cars because I can't hide in the garage. Just wondering what anecdotes others have about their love of "T's" and family? :D
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: O.T. how did you get your sweetie to support your T addiction?

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 am

I built my wife a Model T. It is hers and hers only. Sometimes to get them involved, you must start with golf clubs. Just saying.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

daren007
First Name: Daren
Last Name: Carlson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor

Post by daren007 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 am

A new living room set.

vech
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Vechorik
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1922 coupe
MTFCA Number: 32602

Post by vech » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am

I didn't have to get her to support the T addiction! A couple of years ago, my wife and I visited a friend of mine, Richard Poole, who asked me if I had ever driven a model T. I said no, but I'd like to try. We took a ride around the neighborhood, with me driving, after a 1 minute lesson about what pedal did what. Richard told me that I did real well, since I did not stall the car on my first drive! Then, my wife chimed in with "you need to buy one of these". We bought a '15 Touring from Gary London. Then, my wife WON a 1922 coupe in a raffle! :o Then she bought a running 1923 coupe as a parts car. :shock: I have enough work to last me years! But I am NOT complaining! :D
"If a fly can, a flywheel" :shock:

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am

:lol: My wife never once questioned my affliction. I simply bought what I wanted, when I found it, brought it home and had her say “that’s nice”. She only had one stipulation, no matter what I did she ALWAYS had one side of the garage. Only once did she have an eyebrow moment. A car came home, got disassembled before lunch and by dinner had evaporated. She wanted to know where it went and I pointed to the ceiling over her laundry room. She wanted assurances it would not drop through “unannounced “ which was quickly assured.

Then one morning, out with a bud, come across a numbers matching red n white 58 Vette in great shape! Friend said, do it! Told him let’s go get wifey and bring her back. To my surprise, she decided to challenge the idea. The old, think it over and maybe next week kind of eyebrow lifted stare. I was crestfallen!

Before the next “moment” came along, she needed a car. I bought her a used Mercedes convertible! I have dragged several cars home since...nary a word said or even an eyeball roll 😊

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am

No problem here; the T is the first "toy" or collector car that I have ever owned that she likes.

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am

After the doctor recomended physical and cognative therapy for my disease, I refused because of the costs of getting rides and the sessions themselves. I recived a model T from my dad and forced myself to work on it and rebuild it. After the first year there was a remarkable improvement in my coordination and cognative abilities. After year two I lost 50 + pounds and no longer required the use of a cane to walk. Now in year three I can have conversations ( an impossibility 4 years ago ). My wife is very supportive and on days I can barley move she gently pushes me into the shop do do something/anything for a few minutes which quickly turns into an hour. I'm no expert on therapy but this one is working for me.
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

rosenkranswa
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Rosenkrans
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touriing
MTFCI Number: 22021

Post by rosenkranswa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 am

Never a problem here. Her father and brothers all had T's in some stage of resurrection, in fact the first time I visited it was required that I get "cockpit qualified" in her dad's 26 coupe or be forever shunned by the family... Now its my job whenever we're home for a wedding of similar occasion to get the coupe ready.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am

I think she's kinda mesmerized so far !!
But she's happiest (as am I) when we're together.
She also really enjoyed spending time with my dad and likes carrying on the infamy. :lol:

She also, like me, appreciates "the way it was" and likes antiques and the simple things. :)

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 am

My wife probably had her doubts at first, but went along with it. After the first or second tour, as we were driving home, she simply turned and said, "I get it". Going on, she explained that the people, the camaraderie, the cars, the fun, the friendships all together explained the hobby and why people did such stuff with old cars. I must say, she really did "get it", and I'm so happy to have beside me in our T's!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am

IMG_0313 copy 2.JPG
I took her for rides until she got to like it. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am

Stayed single!
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am

Most important is to marry the "right one". 62 years ago, I had a Model A. I was working on it in the driveway, I think adjusting the brakes. It got dark and she held a flashlight for me. I knew, she was the one for me! Last month we celebrated 61 years of marriage. She attends tours and events with me, and of course, I do things she likes. The Bakersfield swap meet is usually the week of her birthday. She likes to go to las vegas, so we stop by Bakersfield either on the way up or the way back from Las Vegas.

One of my sons, met a girl he was interested in and on their first date, he took her to an auto wrecking yard to get some parts for a car he was working on. She was a "keeper" They have been married about 25 years.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say, is find one who is either interested, or will put up with it before you marry. Much easier than trying to convert one who is not!
Norm

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

This is an easy one, I simply tell her...;

“It was here when she got here... it’ll be here when she leaves”

My wife don’t like hearing it... but I think she finally gets it!! :lol: She and the kids really do enjoy the cars tho

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 pm

I got my wife into collecting dolls. She collects them and I collect cars. What I didn't realize was that I was creating a monster. If you think Model T's multiply you should see what dolls can do! I may have 10 Model T's but she must have at least 200+ dolls. They're everywhere except the garage!

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:18 pm

I chose wisely. In 1985 my wife said that she wanted a big convertible from the '60s. We bought a Thunderbird and still have it. She loves that "whooshing sound" when the secondaries open. She gets to keep her whooshing sound and I get to keep my tap-i-ta tap-i-ta.

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Got a new one. Sweetie, not car. Now I have half the wealth and hundreds of times more fun.
IMG_2088.JPG

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I didn't. She shows no inclination to get involved with it. Just a smelly addiction.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

REHelgeson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Helgeson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Farm Truck, 1926 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 31827
MTFCI Number: 25052

Post by REHelgeson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Now Rob, you know there is a new Model F and Model T racer in your life also. Happy you are able to enjoy what you've worked so hard for. While my wife doesn't want to ever drive our T's she does happily enjoy riding in them. The slow life suits us just fine.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Mine knew what she was getting into when she met me. The radiator in the kitchen sink was a start. A moonlight drive after a late date and we have been together since. I'm very luck.
I know some who struggle for car time. 41 years. Each of us made our mistakes on the first spouse and learned we each need our own space. She runs our car club now.
BPhonexx.jpg
When did I do that?

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 pm

I am one lucky guy!

My wife, Judi, of 42 years was into vintage cars before we were married. We dated in my 1926 Dodge Brothers Deluxe Sedan -- which I still have. (I bought it as a senior in high school.)

I recall a time when we were dating and the Dodge was not running right. A friend and I were trying to figure out the problem. Judi, whom I was dating at the time, was sitting on the running board going through the Dykes and found what she thought was the problem and told us about it. My friend and I sort of ignored her. But, darned if she wasn't right and we fixed the problem!

I had to cancel my Hemmings subscription because Judi would go through it, find cars she would like and suggest we buy them, which we could not afford at the time.

She has never balked at or complained about buying cars or parts.

She loves Hershey and comes with me every year.

Our wedding party all drove in antique cars.

She loves the meets and tours so much so that they are our only vacations.

It's even extended to my kid and grandkids. My daughter wanted and got all antiques cars for her wedding party. They arrange their work schedules so they never miss at least the Motor Muster and Old Car Festival and, when they can, go to tours and meets with us.

I am one lucky guy!

tselliott
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Mercury speedster replica, 1923 speedster

Post by tselliott » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:16 pm

I jokingly tell my friends I made my wife sign a Prenuptial agreement that she would never park a modern car in the garage.
I think she knew what she was getting into when she saw my fathers 4 car garage and no modern cars in it.
My wife loves to go on speedster runs and drives in the country in our speedster.
2 speedsters and a 1966 Fairlane GTA. Her eyes sure lit up when my friend drove over his new AC cobra kit car.
Maybe I could put another car on the wish list.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Rich Eagle wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm
Mine knew what she was getting into when she met me. The radiator in the kitchen sink was a start. A moonlight drive after a late date and we have been together since. I'm very luck.
I know some who struggle for car time. 41 years. Each of us made our mistakes on the first spouse and learned we each need our own space. She runs our car club now.
BPhonexx.jpg
That's a great meme Rich :lol:

I have been into motorcycles for ever.
When my sweetheart came to my house for the first time...(first date, I had to let the dogs out :D )
I had both of my Harley tanks in primer on the kitchen counter and 90% of the rest of the bike was in the dining room !! Including a complete new front end.
She told me years later that she thought "he'll never get that thing going "!!
It was painted and on the road that spring ;)

She has never doubted me since. :? :lol:

JEC
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Mary and I pretty much buy what we want and can afford.
When I found my 15 in the club classifieds I wasn't sure that she would go for it as I already have a 25 pickup.
I have always wanted to buy a sail boat and sail around the world. She doesn't like boats, sand or the beach. So I went in and told her that there was this T on the internet that I really liked but if I bought it I wouldn't be able to buy my sail boat.
I hadn't finished boat when she smiled and said buy it.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Like Val and his wife, I do the cars and my wife does dolls. But I was surprised to hear that Val's wife has so many dolls. I thought my wife had the world's supply cornered.

My Dad had cars, and Mom and Dad co-existed very well with their respective interests. But at one point Mom drew a line in the sand. Approaching retirement, they decided to build their dream house. It would embody everything that each had always wanted. When the architect presented the final plans, Mom observed that the room labeled "T Room" had nice, very large sliding glass doors at each end for plenty of light where she would entertain her lady friends for tea. But then she noticed that the T Room had a heavily reinforced floor. Upon some cross examination, Dad admitted that that he planned to park his Model T in the house where he could polish brass in the evenings.

The compromise was that a nice pool table was installed and the "T Room" became the "Pool Room".

Darren J Wallace
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Darren J Wallace » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 pm

I proposed to my wife in 2011 while driving my 1905 Queen with the premise I was going to teach her to drive it. The 1915 and the 1913 model T just fell into place very shortly and easily :lol: Wedding in 2012 was fun too as you can see :D
Attachments
wedding traffic jam.jpg
wedding cars1.jpg
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 pm

I had started working putting my model t together from parts about 5 years before I met my wife. Next week we have been married 50 years and I have never been asked together rid of it.

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Wife No.1 was bat-sh!t crazy, I was young and stupid. Nothing more to report.
The next ex was reasonable, but had no use or interest in old cars or most of my
interests. This set the stage for No.3

I gave this some thought and set up all prospective dates to see the cars and old
junk and base any 2nd or 3rd date on the reaction. No.3 and I have been together
12 years now. She is not real active in my interests, but does like to go for drives
or take the old cars to run errands. She has her own odd hobbies that are not my
bag, but I enjoy seeing her enjoying herself, and I think she feels the same toward
me. We allow each other a lot of freedom to do our own thing/s, which I think is
important in supporting one's "sweetie".
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428

Post by Bob McDaniel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Dennis_Brown wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 pm
I had started working putting my model t together from parts about 5 years before I met my wife. Next week we have been married 50 years and I have never been asked together rid of it.
Dennis,

Did you ever get the T back together? I had to ask knowing how my projects are going. :roll:
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:42 am

This is a great thread! Bliss is when I’m cruising in the T and the wife is next to me enjoying the ride.

20 years ago I bought my first Porsche 911. That addiction ultimately led to building a full on race car, founding the Porsche Racing Club and being the President for 15 years and racing the car at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Fontana Speedway, Las Vegas, Portland, you get the idea. To support my addiction and so I could be as close to my car as possible even when sleeping, I bought a motor home and justified it as our “2nd house”. My wife came along for the ride to every single event and even started doing the driver Ed classes at some of the tracks in my car. She was hooked as someone else said on the cool factor, comraderie, bbqs, and we got to stay in the paddocks of some world class race tracks and meet some lifelong friends who shared our addiction.
BB5EF4E4-A4E4-40A9-893D-3ABA7EBC5901.jpeg
18 mos ago, I had a massive stroke that left me in a wheelchair unable to talk or walk. Refusing to accept my fate, I lost 85 lbs, got out of the wheelchair and got healthy. Obviously never able to race again, I sold the racecar & trailer, and literally had tears in my eyes when I watched it get loaded on the truck to be shipped to the new buyer. I now needed a tinkering hobby to rehab my left arm/hand which didn’t move...yet.

My wife told me I had to slow down. This is what I came up with. Last summer 120 Model T’s descended on Santa Rosa for a National tour and I became a T stalker as Steve Tomaso will certify. I went to my office, grabbed my wife and drove her to the hotel where all the T’s were gathered. Steve and Dianne Tomaso graciously put up with this strange dude who was clearly on a mission, and gave my wife and I our first ride in a T, and 2 days later I had bought my ‘21 Touring. My left hand has pretty much rebuilt the entire car over the past 6 mos and at this point, it moves pretty darn good now.

She’s going on a 3 week excursion w me starting Monday as we hit the Sierra Vista AZ tour, my office in Tempe, and then head to Las Vegas for a week. Our daily driver on our excursion is now a T. She’s all in.

Anyone in Las Vegas want to show us around? I plan to drive every day that’s not raining!

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

First of all, kudos to Jeff... an inspiring story.

I have a long history of getting involved in things that my wife thought were a little crazy, starting with learning to fly and becoming proficient in some extreme forms of SCUBA diving. Each of these avocations led to some wonderful life experiences for both of us. A number of years ago when I decided to rebuild a Korean War vintage army Jeep she was skeptical, but has since found she enjoys the people and activities that go along with military vehicle ownership. The latter is what kinda' led us to the Model T. I've displayed my M38a1 at Greenfield Village as a part of Motor Muster a couple of times (along with our MV club) and noticed that Joan spent much of her day riding the Model T's around the village. She'd take a ride, get off and get back in line....she loved it! We also attend the big aviation event at Oshkosh, WI each July and in recent years the Dairyland Tin Lizzies have provided free Model T rides around the grounds which she and I have taken advantage of. Seeing that my wife really liked Model T's, the wheels started turning as I needed a new project... For our anniversary last year, I arranged a ride in a '25 Roadster with a friend who is a long-time T guy and later let it slip that I was thinking of buying a T for a winter project. Her response, "are you nuts?" Well, I wore here down and we eventually went to look at one about an hour south of us and a deal was struck. It didn't hurt that the seller gave us a ride in his '19 touring.... kinda' set the hook. She still publicly questions my sanity but I don't think her heart is in it. I believe she is looking forward to the tours and camaraderie of the Model T community as much as I am. She has even told me that she intends to learn to drive our T. All in all I'm a lucky guy... she may have thought I was a little crazy from time to time but she has supported me these past 46+ years as I have tried to support her. Our "adventures" have led to some wonderful experiences and a great life together.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pm

Linda & I have known of each other since we were small grade-school children, although we did not live near each other nor attend the same schools (long story, short version is my grandmother and aunt got her parents together). When we re-met in our early 20s, I took her for a ride in my Model A (the one I slid down the front fenders when I was 4 or 5--and spent my high school years restoring), and my everyday car at that point was a black '39 Ch**y sedan--Mafia Staff Car on the license frames and cardboard tommy guns in the back window--so she had plenty of warning that I was (am) crazy. In spite of this, and the toy trains, she still married me. I guess I don't know how I got her interested, but she's always been supportive. I don't suppose it hurt any that her first train ride was onboard the Royal Hudson Steam Train west coast publicity run (another story for another time or even forum).
T'ake care,
David Dewey

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Her response, "are you nuts?"
I love it... That pretty much sums up the vast majority of my wife's comments to me during our 33 years of marriage...!
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:06 pm

One sneaky way to get ones “sweetie” to go along is to make antique cars less obnoxious than a proposed alternative. When I met Heather some sixty years ago I had a motorcycle and was looking into a Norton Dominator. She told me she was not interested in thise dangerous things, so antique cars it was.
Since then we have had early 1947 Volkswagen, Austin 7,Curved Dash Olds and of course a long list of Model Ts. She has gone along, even helping organize the various clubs and making endless stream of cookies for various events. She was a keeper😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:38 pm

When we were 1st married we had a Harley and it was a blast. A few years and the boy came along. She put her foot down and said no way she and he were riding in a sidecar! "Thats why we have wives guys to point us in another direction." Well the Harley went and a 41 che¥y coupe was our ride of choice. The boy grew up in the back seat of that car which we still have. We got another HD in 04 and rode the wheels off it and still have it. Moved to the farm and it and my business ran life for many years. The coupe sat in the garage for ten years. Once it was going again I brought home a Beat up rusty T. Yes, I got the eye roll and are you crazy speech. She called it the death trap. When my buddy and I got it running the 1st time, she was in the yard and as my buddy cleared the end of the drive and headed down the dirt road her exact words " Im not pushing that d@mn thing home" !
She fought it the 1st couple years but as it came together and I drug her on several rides without walking home she is coming around. The touring on dirt roads with other 20's cars up in Michigan got her hooked. She doesnt care to drive tho she has. Other peoples reaction to the T is what turned her around. I support her search dogs and she tolerates the T's. Yes T's I have 4 and 3/4 T's. They are like potato chips, you cant have just one. 30 years together in April so we make effort to support each others hobby. Happy wife, Happy life!

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm

My wife is always saying she wants another T but we just don't have any more room. I suspect that is why she says it! That and the fact that it gives her an excuse to buy more dolls!

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 am

She must love me. We are going to celebrate our 40th this June. We have had motorcycles, dune buggies , three wheeler's. boats, airplanes, horses,and now model T's. It was the horses that kept her sane. :)
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

Post by Victor Borg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 am

actually,it wasn't hard for me at all! i had been trying to buy a model A that i could afford for a couple of years with not much success,having owned (and foolishly disposed of) quite a few of them in years past. A friend led me to Scott Parsons here in tucson as he had a couple of extra T's laying around and might be willing to part with one.i took my wife with me to Scott's place ind she saw a red-bodied 1927 touring in his shed and she immediately fell in love with it.she said "buy it.if you don't,i will!" she named it Daisy on the spot and Daisy became hers.Scott spent many weekends generously working with me prior to the actual purchase putting things together,teaching me what i needed to know,etc. i cannot praise him enough for his kindness.i am a newby of the first order but this forum (2018 @ 2017) and the helpful folks at the Tucson Touring T's are a blessing.

Topic author
ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am

Forgot to mention in my O.P. that My wife is a foster mom for the local humane shelter and we get all kinds of kittens puppies and such to socialize and help heal or just get old enough to have their Surgery. My wife must have a big heart to put up with me and the animals. Steve Jelf my wife says your Sweetie looks a lot like our Jewel.
DSC_0074.JPG
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Easier when you don't have to. Because I'm repulsive and nobody would want anything to do with me.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm

"how did you get your sweetie to support your T addiction?"
I didn't. She got me to support her T addiction.
Top that.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm

I picked the right sweetie. She has her hobbies, I have mine and we’re building a life that includes and supports all of them. I never understood why some people get more and more serious with an oppressive partner.

jagman5
First Name: stuart
Last Name: clipson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring

Post by jagman5 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 am

my best half doesn't really care anything much about old cars,but has gone along on several adventures in our cars. the adventure being flatbed home and an occational push home.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am

scan0010 (2).jpg

Similar story for me too, met my wife in high school. I had a T and we would cruise on some Saturdays to local park. So she knew I was into T's and she liked it too. First year of marriage she helped to put the top on the runabout and we would go to shows.

Fast forward 50 years later, now we do Model T tours together, Julia loves the fun and friendships of other T wives too. ;) Heck, she knows all the T parts and names and where they go. Helps sell the excess stuff at swaps! I'm a lucky T guy 8-)

IMG_4854 (1238x1280).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

When we got my Dad's 19 T my wife smiled and said have fun with your car.
When we got my Dad's 31 A Town Sedan my wife got a serious face and said that one is mine!
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

DHort
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm

I bought a touring, trucked it home, and my 15 year old thought I had bought him a car. When my wife saw it the next day she did not talk to me for three days. I few years later when i bought the speedster, she did not talk to me for a week.

She supports my cars now, and the wonderful Milwaukee Model t Club that we belong to. My kids know they are theirs when I die. Some day I hope to be able to get her in a car and take her for a ride. She has never been in them due to her disability. Too high for a person with a walker.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm

:P
Attachments
IMG_3669.JPG

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm

She had to accept it or else. :twisted: :lol:
I was always working on something here in the yard or garage when we re-met after high school (mid-late 80's), when she started working on me and I fixed her beloved 78 T-Bird when it needed it. My son says "You got mom but really just wanted me." :lol:
I need to find her another decent 78.
Being modest, working and broke helps as we have to fix it ourselves but I did that anyhow. :)
My 29 IH speedster flatbed was always in the yard along with old tractors and gas engines.
The T addiction was still coming to a boil in my brain from childhood then. The Crappy 24 T up from dust soon followed.
Goll, the fun we've had in that old bucket a' bolts! Huh, I traded a MM UTS tractor carcass for that body and a bunch of T parts.
Another memory broken loose!
OT: I don't remember if we were married yet when we needed to borrow !!$975.00!! for my first Twin City 17-28 tractor but she was by my side at the auction and by my side when we borrowed that money. Our (then) new banker was an old tractor wife herself so she was an "in" and was later startled when I recited the TC's serial number from memory using him as collateral on a new abode for Maw and I. Maw asked "Are you done?" At about 925 at the auction. Nope, I saved that TC from the horder/junker.
In 2016 when I bought those T's and parts in mid-southern MN, Maw lent me the 10 grand so I could go buy them.
I payed her back a week later. :)
She and I are great adversary's every so often ;-) but she's right there by my side in our endeavors tho. So I bought her the property next to us last fall. She purred. :)
OT: Last fall, she asked "Are you done buying?" after my 6th TC.
I was down to a couple grand of Mad Money but somehow she knew one important TC was going to be costly to resurrect.
I still need one or two more to complete that collection. This year.
Here, we need spring and a snow-free hill so we can take a T for a Toodle and get back up! She's prolly itchin' too. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Great reading everyone's stories. Good thread! Jeff, Pm me I we could go to breakfast one of these Saturdays and you could also meet the Gang.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 am

My "sweetie" for the last 44 years (celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this June) purchased my latest acquisition when I officially retired. She bought me a 1923 Roadster that was ready to drive. Not many women left around like her. She lets me do just about anything that I want as long as it does not involve excessive drink or chasing other women. HA! I think that I will keep her (The wife not the car).

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Well, I'll start my story about like Kim Wynn just did, except that my "sweetie" and I will celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary this coming June! I'm always too "wordy" and long-winded on the forum, but I'll TRY to keep this as short as possible. We started going together in high school in the '50's and at that time, I had a 1928 Model A Ford coupe. It was my "daily driver" and we went everywhere in it. We participated in a Model T scavenger hunt that the club I belonged to put on, and I have to say, that in those days (late '50's) it was a bit embarrassing that us two teenagers not only won the scavenger hunt, but especially embarrassing that the prize was an electric blanket! The Model A was a very solid little coupe as far as the body was concerned, however I totally rebuilt it (mechanically) while in high school, and we actually had "dates" (if you could call it that) whereby she found herself handing me tools and holding the drop-cord light so I could see what I was working on better. Truth be known, I'm not sure the light really helped all that much a lot of the time, but I think she like holding the light for me, and I liked that she was doing it,....and as they say, it was all "history" from then on after that! That first Model A led to a life-long love of old Fords for both of us, and I can honestly say that nobody has a wife that is any more supportive of the hobby than my "sweetie" is! We now have four Model T's and one Model A, and I can honestly say that she absolutely "MADE" me buy at least three of them! (....one of the single guys in our Model T club asked me once if she had a sister!) See,....? As usual,....much too "wordy",.....but there it is,.....harold (:^)

Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970

Post by Mustang1964s » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm

My wife inherited the '26 Touring. I have the pleasure of working on it and driving. She is going to learn to drive this summer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic